• Published 6th Jan 2016
  • 8,445 Views, 5,521 Comments

What If... - TheMajorTechie



A buncha stories based off of random "What if?" questions. Eight years old and one thousand chapters long. Holy crap. BROKE THE 1000 CHAPTER LIMIT WITH A 1001ST CHAPTER!!!

  • ...
58
 5,521
 8,445

PreviousChapters Next
it was still all a simulation?

Twilight closed her book, smiling. It'd been a good read, and a much-needed break from the monotonous tasks she undertook since succeeding the royal sisters. Of course, she knew it wasn't real-- none of this was real; she'd seen proof of it herself. Equestria was only one of the many simulations that were created from the work of Lisa Garnet, her counterpart and... former user. The words still felt weird on her tongue, even if she'd never spoken them out loud. She turned her thoughts back to the time that'd passed.

Even as only a few years had come and gone, it already felt like an absolute eternity since she'd been coronated. Nevertheless, it was who she was now. She stood for Equestria --represented the nation, really-- and all that it stood for. Even beyond the boundaries of her reality, she knew that more and more were learning of her strange little kingdom of ponies by the day, thanks to her counterpart.

Sometimes, she wondered about the happenings of the world beyond her reality.


A knock came at the door of Lisa's office.

"Come in!"

A young girl entered her office. She kept her head down, shuffling across the floor.

"You... you asked to meet after class?" her voice cracked as she spoke. "Am I in trouble?"

"Oh, no, no, far from it, Elise," Lisa smiled, setting her controller aside. "I've been looking at your performance recently."

"My... performance?"

Lisa shrugged. "Grades, scores, performance, I just call it whatever. Point is, would you be interested in studying beyond what you'd normally learn in class?"

"What."

"Um... advanced study, basically. You've been doing quite a bit better than most anyone else across the classes we hold here, and I can see potential in you." She slid a sheet to the girl. "Ask your mom first, of course-- it'll be an extension of your usual classes at no extra cost, so I'd like to know what days you would have the time to come in."

Elise took the paper, eyes wide. "I... what..." she lifted her head, staring at her mentor. "I... me? But why me? Aren't there other students that you could offer this to?"

"If they did as well in class as you did, yeah," Lisa chuckled. "Plus, along with everything else being tacked on, I think I'll go ahead and let you have access into our flagship simulation."

Elise stood dumbfounded, alternating between re-reading the paper and staring at her mentor.

"Ellie!" her mother called behind the door, "You in there? The girl at the front said you're a meeting with your teacher. Is everything alright?"

"Go on," Lisa shooed, "I'll be here when you decide."

Elise nodded, hurrying out the door. Lisa let out a deep sigh, closing her eyes. That was probably by far the most awkward conversation she'd had in a while. Did she really need to say all those things? Sure, Ellie was a whiz at all the things she did in class, but holy crap. It was one thing to take her in as a protege, but it was an entirely different thing to sound more like some elementary school teacher telling a student that they can sit with the big kids.

Actually, scratch that last part. It only made it sound even more stupid, whether or not it was even accurate at all.

Lisa groaned, rolling her eyes with a smirk. At least she pulled it off at all. Next time around, she'd just send an email or something.

For now though, all there was to do was wait.

Author's Note:

A nod to this chapter.

We're gonna set this story back on track. Look out, Into Equestria, 'cause it's rewritin' time!

The above is a bit of a blurb I wrote just to help myself set things up for the rewrite. It likely won't be entirely accurate to the story, but I feel that it at the very least gives a better sense of direction to Into Equestria, while at the same time eliminating the need to try and set things up even more awkwardly in the early chapters.

Also, self-aware characters are self-aware. I have fun writing them. Feel free to leave your thoughts down below in the comments. :twilightsmile:

PreviousChapters Next