• Published 1st Apr 2016
  • 8,048 Views, 4,429 Comments

Group Precipitation - FanOfMostEverything



Stories set in the Oversaturated World, some silly, some less so.

  • ...
26
 4,429
 8,048

PreviousChapters Next
Reader Response Gap, by FoME

Sunset answered her doorbell with her brow already furrowed. Scrying helped a lot with unexpected guests, including ones bearing scowls and paper grocery bags. "Shining Armor? What are you doing here?"

With great solemnity, he said, "Darmok and Jalad."

"What?"

"Exactly. May I come in?"

Sunset hesitated for only a moment, still trying to parse the nonsense. "Sure."

"Thank you." Shining strode in, taking the sparse decor with a grim intensity Sunset hadn't seen since the last time Rarity had looked at plaid. "Right now, part of me wants to play the intimidating big brother, but the rest knows how that's not going to turn out well."

"Honestly, you're doing a pretty good job."

"You may not want to tell Dad that. Last time he mentioned buying a shotgun, I couldn't tell if he was joking."

"So!" Sunset forced a smile. "Other than implicit threats of buckshot in my face, what brings you to my humble abode?"

"There it is." Shining moved to Sunset's laptop, currently resting on her coffee table. "I may not be Cadence, but I can tell that you're not just Twilight's high school sweetheart. Unless one of you manages to really mess this up, you're going to be my sister-in-law, and that means that I need to make sure you can handle becoming part of our family."

"How do you mean?"

Shining set down the bag and began pulling things out of it. "Darmok and Jalad."

Sunset lingered behind him. "I still don't know what that means."

"Who shot first?"

"Between Darmok and Jalad?"

"Is it secret?" Shining whirled and grabbed Sunset by the shoulders. "Is it safe?"

"The fact that one of those people shot the other? Shining, what are you talking about?"

Shining gave a grim nod. "It's exactly as I feared."

Sunset blinked. "What?"

"Your friends have done their best, but you will be marrying into a family of nerds."

"I think Twilight would dispute your word choice there."

Shining rolled his eyes. "The point is that if you're going to have any chance of being accepted, you have some homework to do." He moved to the side, letting Sunset get a better view of the DVD cases now sitting next to her computer.

She levitated them and had them orbit her, letting her take in all of them. "Space Trek? The Force Wars? The Jewelry Master?"

"Trust me on this one, Sunset. My mother is never going to consider you a daughter if you aren't at least somewhat familiar with these series. The Tambelon 5 discs are still in the mail, but I figured I'd waited long enough to get you started."

"Uh, I guess I should thank you?"

Shining nodded. "Trust me, you will."

Author's Note:

"Technically, you should read the books for Jewelry Master," added Shining, "but even I haven't. I can never get past Elderest Bombast."

PreviousChapters Next