• Published 1st Apr 2016
  • 8,049 Views, 4,429 Comments

Group Precipitation - FanOfMostEverything



Stories set in the Oversaturated World, some silly, some less so.

  • ...
26
 4,429
 8,049

PreviousChapters Next
Worrisome Trend, by FoME

Author's Note:

The following takes place shortly after the event, around the transition from May to June.

Sunset held a hand to her forehead as she entered Carousel Boutique. "Rarity? Everything okay?"

Rarity looked up from the checkout counter, where she'd been glowering over a notebook. It took a much larger fraction of a second than normal for her to slip on a pleasant facade. "Whyever do you ask?"

"I could feel your frustration and resentment while walking by the Boutique."

Rarity blushed. "Oh. Well. It's nothing, really."

Sunset winced has her headache intensified. "Definitely doesn't feel like nothing."

"Oh dear. I certainly didn't mean to cause you any pain, darling. It's just..." Rarity sighed. "I assume when you did what you did, you kept the physical changes to a minimum."

Sunset nodded. "It was the best compromise I could get between survival and mutation. Hooves were on the table."

"And I'm very glad you took them off of it. But..." Rarity drummed her fingers against the counter as she thought. "Do you remember how this all started?"

"Lots of things start. You're going to need to be more specific."

"The concern that made you realize what was happening to the world."

Sunset nodded. "Sure, visible cu— I mean, icons."

"Indeed." Rarity narrowed her eyes. "And they're still there. Most of the population has a deeply personal symbol adorning their hips."

"And? Nudity taboos are still a thing. And keeping you in business."

"I like to think it's more than just obligation doing that, but it isn't my point." Rarity's headgem lit up, and a few swimsuits floated off of their racks. "Do you see the problem?"

Sunset studied them for a while. A single-piece, a bikini, something that she didn't think anyone in town was brave enough to wear. All women's suits, but what else did they have in— "Oh. Oh."

"Indeed. Discussing icons may no longer be all but impossible, but people have still been raised to feel uncomfortable about doing so, to say nothing about social views about tattoos." Rarity scowled as she put the swimsuits back. "I don't want to say you've killed women's swimwear, Sunset, but you've dealt it quite the terrible blow."

After a moment, Sunset said, "Won't this just mean you'll make a killing in skirts and sarongs?"

"With any luck, yes, but I certainly didn't plan on wearing one this summer."

PreviousChapters Next