• Published 1st Apr 2016
  • 8,049 Views, 4,429 Comments

Group Precipitation - FanOfMostEverything



Stories set in the Oversaturated World, some silly, some less so.

  • ...
26
 4,429
 8,049

PreviousChapters Next
Parting Gift, by BenRG

Author's Note:

This is a direct continuation of the previous snippet. Indeed, it's a comment on the previous snippet.

It wasn't until a few hours later that Sunset, responding to some instinctive urge, returned to realise that a firmly non-magical sword and dagger (previously hidden under some kind of invisibility ward) were sticking in the ground of the badlands more or less exactly where the two extradimensional visitors had been standing. The two weapons were definitely nonmagical. There was absolutely no doubt about it. Every test that Twilight and Mr. Discord could do to analyse it proved that they were two completely mundane constructions of steel with brass and and quartz decorations in fine-tooled leather sheaths.

This indubitable fact didn't make Sunset any happier about the fact that the rapier and its matched main-gauche had visibly sparked as if charged with static electricity when Sunset touched them for the first time. It also didn't change the fact that these weapons, which Sunset had never seen before, had her Cutie Mark at the join of blade, guard and hilt made out of shaped coloured crystal. There were no prophetic dreams; there were no strange magical signs (beyond Sunset's own magic very occasionally reacting to the weapons in odd ways that might have been more to do with the crystalline decorations;) there was certainly no indication that either weapon could do anything other than what they were overtly designed to do.

Sunset was still worried.

Twilight was quite worried when she visited one day to find the sheathed weapons sitting on a chair opposite Sunset in her apartment. Her girlfriend was staring at them as though she were daring them to speak to her or something similar. After a moment, Twilight broke the silence. "So, what are you going to do with them? Are you going to magic them out of existence?"

"That's my first impulse, but no. I don't trust coincidence and I suspect that destroying them would probably break something somewhere. Until I know what's going on, I'm keeping these things where I can keep an eye on them. I don't trust them not to turn out to have a prophecy about them somewhere!" Sunset grimaced unhappily. "Anyway, I've already tried to give them to Trixie's mom and dad; a magical antiques and curios shop is the best place for them but..." The bacon-haired not-a-goddess ran a hand through her hair. "They keep on turning up here in the morning."

Twilight blinked at that news. "Are you still sure...?"

"The only trace of magic is my own thaumic signature, which worries me. Whatever is happening isn't intrinsic to the rapier and dagger but is some aspect of my own magic that I can't sense consciously."

Twilight considered Sunset's worried expression for a few seconds before she finally decided that she needed to ease the tension of the moment. Thanks to her association with Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie, she concluded that humour was the way to go. "You could always ask Ruby! I'm sure she could get someone to draft a prophecy about them for you!" Twilight giggled at her girlfriend's stricken expression. The lavender-hued mage took a dramatic pose. "They could call it 'Sunset Shimmer and the Legend of the Sun Blades'!"

Sunset's mouth worked silently for a moment. "No," she said at last. "Just... No."

Twilight decided to try her second line of attack and sat down next to Sunset and draw her into an affectionate hug. There is no reason whatsoever to believe that, just as the two girls' attention was diverted, a strange-hued rainbow of seven colours ran along the length of the well-crafted but seemingly-mundane weapons.

PreviousChapters Next