• Published 1st Apr 2016
  • 8,049 Views, 4,429 Comments

Group Precipitation - FanOfMostEverything



Stories set in the Oversaturated World, some silly, some less so.

  • ...
26
 4,429
 8,049

PreviousChapters Next
Luminary Performance, by FoME

Sunset Shimmer manifested in the backyard, self-sculpted from the golden light of noon. She groaned the moment her body could. “I hope you appreciate how disturbing it is for me when you pray to me.”

Celestia stared down at her with unimpeachable dignity, as demonstrated by how her expression was enough to make Sunset’s mouth go dry even while wearing a big, floppy sunhat and dirt-stained overalls. “I hope you appreciate how disturbing it is when I stop and think about how not only is one of my students in charge of the entire universe, my pony analogue is an immortal sun goddess and philosopher-queen of the most prosperous nation in her world. To say nothing of my trying to coordinate a bunch of teenagers into a vigilante crime-fighting force.”

Sunset looked away and rubbed the back of her neck. “Yeah, when you put it like that, it does kind of make my mommy issues pale in comparison.”

“Mommy issues?”

“Princess Celestia and I have… complicated history together. Incidentally, thanks for not being in a bikini this time around.”

Celestia smirked. “I do what I can. Now, as for the issue…” She gestured towards the backyard’s greenhouse with a hand trowel. “Like I said, I have a lot on my mind these days, and I decompress when I can. Like with my garden. Except that that’s experiencing some new issues.”

“Understandable,” Sunset said, turning to consider the greenhouse herself. “Earth pony magic most often expresses itself by affecting plant life. We don’t see it as often in this world, but there are plenty of cases.”

“Good to know I’m not alone. Honestly, I don’t think I’d mind as much if they could just be a bit more creative in their song selections.”

Sunset nodded for a few moments more before blinking and turning back to Celestia. “Wait, what?”

Equal confusion crossed Celestia’s face. “What did you think I was talking about?”

“I don’t know, soil depletion due to accelerated growth rates or something? What are you talking about?”

Celestia quirked an eyebrow and walked to the greenhouse. She opened the door, letting out a honey-rich voice crooning, “I got sunshi~ine on a cloudy day.”

“Doo doodoo, doo doodoo.”

Celestia shut the door and rolled her eyes. “Before this, it was ‘Here Comes the Sun.’ Before that, it was an a capella arrangement of the theme song from It’s Always Sunny in Fillydelphia. I get it. I’m sun-themed.” Her hair, shining with captured solar energy, lashed about in her agitation.

“Eh heh. Well, you know plants. They love the sun.”

This got a flat look. “I’ve noticed. How do I shut them up?”

“I’m… going to have to get back to you on that one. Earth magic wasn’t exactly the focus of my studies even in Equestria. Until then…” Sunset gave a sheepish grin. “Noise-cancelling headphones?”

Author's Note:

Given their behavior in canon, it seems like a small leap. And Sunset might want to hurry on that research. Just because she hasn't heard of any other botanichoirs doesn't mean they aren't out there.

And it could be worse. At least none of them envy Celestia's gross incandescence. Yet.

PreviousChapters Next