• Published 1st Apr 2016
  • 8,163 Views, 4,448 Comments

Group Precipitation - FanOfMostEverything



Stories set in the Oversaturated World, some silly, some less so.

  • ...
26
 4,448
 8,163

PreviousChapters Next
Memento Morass, by Maran, Masterweaver, and FoME

(Maran)

“Singing plants, huh?” Twilight leaned against Sunset. “I would've loved to see that! Why did Principal Celestia want to turn them back to normal? She could have at least donated some of the plants to the university for the grad students to study.”

“Well, Pony Granny Smith was concerned about the sapience spreading to other plant species. She didn't think the world was ready for all the flora to join PAULDRONS.” Sunset shrugged her one shoulder that wasn't pressed against Twilight. “She didn't word it that way, but it was implied.”

“She's probably right,” said Twilight with a frown. “Still, talking plants! It's too bad Fluttershy missed them.”

Sunset leaned away and lightly slapped Twilight's arm. “Don't you dare plant that thought in her head! I don't want her to relapse!”

Her girlfriend giggled. “Plant it in her head!”

Sunset groaned. “Haven't I heard enough plant puns today?”

“Don't blame me. You said it.”

Before Sunset could retort, her magical book buzzed. She took it in her hands and it fell open to the page where Princess Twilight began her latest letter.

One of the perks of being a near-deity was gaining the ability to speed-read. In a few seconds, Sunset read and digested the message, but her emotions took several more seconds to catch up with her thoughts.

“Oh, no,” said Twilight with a grimace. “It's bad, isn't it. What is it this time?”

Sunset shook her head. “I guess it could be worse. I just don't want to defuse another magical ticking time bomb right now.”

“What do you mean, exactly?”

“You know how Star Swirl the Bearded sent the Dazzlings to this world? Well, it seems like his bad habit of using our world as a garbage disposal for evil magic rubbed off on his colleagues. It turns out Equestria's Clover the Clever came here a long time ago and buried a stone that can remove memories.”

Twilight raised her eyebrows. “Wow. It's easy to see how someone could abuse that kind of power.”

“Exactly. That's why I have to find it before someone else does.”

“Maybe someone already found it. I mean, how would we know? We wouldn't remember.”

“That's a possibility. But whether or not someone already has it, we have to find it and destroy it.” Sunset held up the book so Twilight could view the pages. “Princess Twilight says that Clover buried it in the center of this rock formation. Assuming Clover reacted to this world the same way I did the first time, he wouldn't have strayed far from the portal.”

Twilight tapped her chin. “The portal opened in the same place each time?”

Sunset nodded. “Mm-hm, where the pedestal is now. But I've never seen these rocks, so there may be something built over them already.”

“Well, if this Memory Stone still exists, it'll have a strong magical output, so it shouldn't be too difficult to track. I do have one question, though. Actually, I have many questions,” amended Twilight, “but first and foremost is, why did the other me wait until now to warn you about this?”

“She said she recently found Clover's scroll in an old chest in the back of the restricted section in Canterlot Public Library.”

Twilight's violet eyes lit up in a way that was most becoming. “Everything about that sounds amazing!”

Chuckling, Sunset sandwiched Twilight's hand in hers and patted it. “If you want, I'm sure I can arrange a visit after we take care of the Memory Stone.”

“It's a date. Or, uh, it would be if, you know—”

“I'll try not to be too jealous,” Sunset said with a wink.

(Masterweaver)

Wallflower scratched fervently at the hand around her neck, kicking and flailing against the wall as she desperately tried to get the attention of some, of any passersby.

"Hmmm." The woman tilted the stone in her hand, an amused smile on her face. "Quite the interesting bauble you've found, isn't it?"

The girl's brown eyes went wide as the eye carved into the stone glowed, and she screamed as something was torn from her.

"And you learned how to use it! Or at least, part of it." The blue-skinned woman laughed, a tinkling thing like icicles. "And what have you been using it for, hmm?"

The stone in her hand glowed, and Wallflower didn't understand why, but... but she didn't know what was going on. She was being attacked by—

"Oh, my. Reputation. That, now, that is childish. Such a waste of a beautiful bauble, and of such a cunning mind. No, this simply shall not do. Hmm, yes... yes, I do believe..."

The stone in her hand flashed agai





llflower blinked, shaking her head.

"Oh my goodness! Are you alright, dearie?"

A blue hand was thrust into her vision. She took it gratefully, pulling herself up with a groan. "Unnnngh. No, I... I have the worst headache." She blinked at the hand in her grip. She could have sworn it had four fingers, but now it looked to have five. "Wh...what happened?"

"I heard you groaning in this alleyway here... I'm quite afraid you'll have to figure out the rest on your own." The blue woman patted her down and gasped. "Oh your sweater!"

Wallflower looked at her sleeves and gasped at the large gashes. "Wha-what?! How did—?!"

"Don't panic. You're safe now. Just... try to remember what you can."

"I... I remember, I was... I was walking home from visiting some friends at Canterlot High, and.... and..." Wallflower trailed off, her eyes darting around. "I can't... I can't remember, I don't know, what happened to—where's my backpack?"

She looked around desperately, before her gaze landed on the green sack leaning against a trash can. "Oh no, no, nonono..."

The blue woman walked over, eyes filled with concern. "We should probably get you home, dearie. I... don't know who did this to you, or what they did, but... it's possible they might still be around."

"Oh Stars, you-you're right!" Wallflower groaned. "And they took my phone, Auntie Magenta is— The sky's not the right color. Oh no, how late am I?!"

"I happen to have a motorbike right out here. I can get you to your place as swiftly as possible, and you can contact the police when you get there."

"Oh, would you?! That, that, just, thank you ma'am." Wallflowers shut her backpack up and slung it on. "I, this... this is scary, I don't even know what happened..."

"Well, I promise to get you home safely. Come on." The blue woman took her hand gently. "You look like you need a good night's rest."

Wallflower followed after her with little hesitation. Something seemed... strange, about this woman. Something she couldn't quite...

...she was probably just being paranoid. She'd just been... attacked, somehow, after all.

A few minutes later she found herself being gently guided into her own home, the woman explaining everything she knew to her terrified aunt. Of course they called the police, of course a report was filed, of course they were assured that, that whoever it was would be caught.... She wasn't quite relaxed, but... but she felt safer here. In her own bed.

She grasped the covers, trembling, and fell into a nervous slumber.


"A cunning mind indeed." Winter Lights smiled at the stone in her hand, summoning forth one stream of images after another. "And yet... a mind is of course only as good as its memories, and glamours make memories so easy to manufacture."

She glanced at the half-darkened moon. "I've one agent in your court, shadowed one. Very soon, I shall have another... it only takes time, after all. Still, best to keep this out of sight of the godling." She pulled out a hand mirror and dropped the stone into it, chuckling to herself. "And four shall be five, soon."


(FoME)

Niv-Mizzet smiled to himself, staring at a corner of his office. He did that a lot these days, and almost never for a reason that anyone else could discern. "Do you know what one of my favorite things in the world is, Jace?"

"There are a lot of answers to that question, sir," said Jace Beleren, who had only just walked into the principal's office and wasn't even facing him. "However, I get the feeling that none of the ones I can think of are what you have in mind."

"There is a roughly eighty-six percent chance you correct. What I had in mind was when your opponents believe they're playing chess with one another, only for you to sink both their aircraft carriers, wipe out their SCVs, and capture the Golden Snitch, all in a single move."

"That was roughly my ninth guess, sir, though without the mixed metaphors."

"And that is why you are merely vice principal." Niv-Mizzet gave a dismissive wave. "Leave those files on my desk, and enjoy your night out. Be sure to give my fondest regards to Luna."

Jace raised an eyebrow, but shrugged and left the files on Niv's desk. "As you say, sir."

"Yes." Niv's smile didn't shift a millimeter. "As I say."

Unbeknownst to either man, an orange girl in Canterlot groaned in disgust.

And about twenty minutes after going to sleep, the much-abused psychic shell dissolved, and Wallflower's slumber became much easier.

PreviousChapters Next