• Published 1st Apr 2016
  • 8,163 Views, 4,448 Comments

Group Precipitation - FanOfMostEverything



Stories set in the Oversaturated World, some silly, some less so.

  • ...
26
 4,448
 8,163

PreviousChapters Next
Bitter Brew, by FoME and Masterweaver

(FoME)

The top Shadowbolts quickly established their lunch table seating arrangement in their senior year. Lemon and Sunny, who shared a pre-lunch class close to the cafeteria, sat down first and faced the lunch line so they could see the others coming. Sugarcoat and Moondancer sat at their left, Sour Sweet and Second Person at their right, and and Indigo Zap sat opposite them. No explicit planning had gone into that, just force of habit that had quickly grown more unbreakable than the decades-old traditions Principal Cadence was working to overturn.

Usually.

Moondancer hesitated when she saw Lemon and Sunny sitting opposite from one another on the first day back after the holiday break. Sugarcoat did no such thing, plopping herself down in her usual spot, looking at Lemon, and saying, “So, what did you do?”

Lemon threw up her hands. “I didn’t do anything! Sunny’s just being—“ She bit her lip and slumped in her seat. Sunny Flare simply crossed her arms and looked away.

“She’s not talking to you?”

“No. But I still didn’t do anything wrong.”

“Oh yeah, you’d definitely know,” Sour Sweet said brightly as she took her seat. “We all know your reputation for foresight and sensitivity, Lemon.”

Second settled in next to her, his glances showing he was uncomfortably aware of how close he was to a subcritical Sunny Flare. “So, uh, what did she do that made you stop talking to her?”

Sunny just huffed out a breath and turned up her nose.

“Huh.” Indigo looked at Sunny in her usual seat, shrugged, and sat next to Lemon. “So, what did you do?”

Lemon buried her face in her hands. “Why does everyone assume I did something wrong?”

“Lemon, I spent months in a realm where every creature that could play innocent did so. You’re not fooling anyone.” Indigo began poking Lemon in the ribs with every word. “Now. What. Did. You. Do?”

“Okay, okay!” Lemon tugged her chair back, though she couldn’t get out of poking range without colliding with Sour Sweet, who had index fingers poised to flank her. “Yeesh, is this what it’s like around me?”

“Yes,” chorused almost the entire table. Even Sunny nodded.

“Wow, harsh. Look, all I know is that when we went out on Sunday, Sunny was getting cold, so I offered to get her a cup of three bean soup. And when I did, bam, silent treatment.”

Five heads turned to Sunny. She narrowed her eyes and growled out, “She got me a vanilla soy latte.”

It only took seconds for everyone to follow the Lemony thought process, groan, and start pelting Zest with balled-up napkins. She did nothing to defend herself. “See, this is more what I expected.”

No one else said anything.

“Oh, come on!”

(Masterweaver)

"You coffee fanatics," Indigo scoffed. "Flavors and beans and sizes, it doesn't really..."

She trailed off at the series of very stern looks pointed her way.

"No. I shall never touch caffeine. You know this. You all know this! Don't you even—no, no, Sunny I can see you're starting a lecture plan—NO, STOP THINKING OF IT, NO. NO! Don't you dare pull out that phone—put down the Internet search—NO!"

Author's Note:

Love means never having to say you're sorry for terrible, terrible puns. Even when you should.

PreviousChapters Next