• Published 1st Apr 2016
  • 8,165 Views, 4,448 Comments

Group Precipitation - FanOfMostEverything



Stories set in the Oversaturated World, some silly, some less so.

  • ...
26
 4,448
 8,165

PreviousChapters Next
Lost in the Cracks, by FoME

Wallflower couldn’t deny that she was happier at Ravnica High than at CHS.

On average.

There were still bad days, some worse than others. Especially as Wallflower’s teachers encouraged her to develop the magic that made her unnoticeable to both living and technological senses.

On the really bad days, when it felt like even the ground had to remember to hold her up, Wallflower sought solace in a friend who had been with her even before high school: sitting with her head on a table and her arms folded over it.

“Ugh…”

The groaning helped. At least, Wallflower told herself it did.

“Ugh…”

Though it definitely didn’t when it didn’t come from Wallflower herself. She whipped her head back up and saw another student meeting with her old friend at the very same table. Sure, it was one of the tables in the school’s massive central hall/cafeteria, but she still hadn’t expected company. The stranger had dark blue hair and lighter skin, resembling Vice Principal Beleren… aside from the stubby, conical horns and the hints of scales along their wrists.

“Um…” Wallflower bit her lip. What would she want someone to do in this situation? “Hi?”

“Huh?” The other person bolted up, eyes wide and darting about for a few moments before they locked on her. “H-how long have you been there?” he said.

Wallflower found herself giving a sad smile. “Don’t worry, I get that a lot.”

“That didn’t actually answer the question.”

“Sorry. Dimir. With my friends, you get in the habit of not answering direct questions.”

The boy gave her a flat look. “Yeah, I noticed.”

Wallflower cleared her throat and tried not to combust out of sheer embarrassment. The fact that the boy was actually kind of cute wasn’t helping. Thankfully, she’d learned another social tool beyond her usual skills: Deflection. “So, uh, what brings you here?”

He hesitated at that, the building annoyance… well, not going away, but clearly going from Wallflower to a sheet of paper he pulled out of a pocket. “You remember that blood drive last week?”

“Yeah?” Wallflower hadn’t been at all surprised to learn she was O negative.

He waved the sheet. “Turns out I have this super-rare blood antigen.”

“How rare?”

“Let’s put it this way: They’re calling it the CC factor.”

Wallflower furrowed her brow. she was used to circuitous answers, but this one was taking a while. “Okay...?”

After a moment, the boy added, “My name is Corner Case.”

“Oh.” Wallflower noticed his icon—two enmeshed gears, each with a missing tooth—and cringed as the penny dropped. “Oh.

Corner nodded. “Yeah. The good news is that I can still get transfusions if I need to. But now they want as much as I can safely donate for, you know.” He made a vague gesture with one hand. “Science stuff.”

Wallflower recognized the exhaustion in his tone. “This kind of thing happens to you often?”

He pointed at his horns. “I’m an ophiotaurus aspect. Sunset Shimmer herself had to identify what I even am. What do you think?”

“Yikes. I just don’t get noticed by anyone. Or anything, these days.” That brought Walllflower’s mind back to what had made her start groaning into the table in the first place. “I just spent five minutes arguing with a vending machine.” After a moment, she gave an awkward wave and added, “Um, Wallflower Blush, by the way.”

“Really? Someone as cute as—“ Corner cut himself off and blushed so hard his almost turned purple. “Um…”

Wallflower felt her own cheeks heat up in sympathy. Her eyes darted away as she twirled a length of her hair with a finger. “Uh, well…”

“Yeah, so…”

“Do you… want to… maybe… do a… thing?” Wallflower felt as shocked as Corner looked by the time she reached the end of the verbal stumble. “This weekend?” At least, she’d thought it was the end.

“Yes!” Corner leapt to his feet, a rictus grin on his face. “A thing! I like things!”

“Great!” Wallflower followed suit. “See you then!” She spun on a heel, ready to flee before she ruined the moment somehow.

“Wait!”

She nearly fell on her face, but she managed to turn around to face him again. “What?”

“We never decided on, you know, what.” After a moment, Corner added, “Or where. Or when.”

Wallflower drew on another recent social lesson: If all else fails, pretend you’re a socially adept person. “Right. Uh, movie?”

“Movie.” Corner stared blankly for a moment before nodding. “Right, sure. The place in Tin Street Plaza?”

“That’s the one with the permanent rummage sale in the parking lot?”

“Yeah. Sunday at 4?”

“Sounds great!”

“Great!”

And, because that was about as long as Wallflower could keep that mask going, she cried, “I’m going to run before my embarrassment makes me burst into flames!”

“Same!” said Corner. But he was smiling just as wide as she was.

After fleeing the scene of the incident and working herself down from nearly hyperventilating, Wallflower couldn’t help but giggle to herself.

“Okay, what the actual crap was that?”

She also wasn’t even surprised that White Hat had appeared seemingly out of nowhere. “How long have you been there?”

“Long enough to see that whole sorry affair,” White said, shaking her head. “Seriously, what was that?”

What did surprise Wallflower was her reaction. “You know what? That was me actually talking to a boy I like and arranging a date. How’s Dovri, again?”

White crossed her arms and glanced away. “This is why we don’t usually answer direct questions.”

“And you see where that gets you.”

“Do you even know what’s playing on Sunday at 4, if anything?”

Wallflower shrugged. “Don’t care.”

“You just met this guy,” said White, concern and confusion leaking into her tone in equal amounts.

“You’re not ruining this for me, White.”

The other girl sighed. “At least promise me you’ll erase his brain if he gets handsy.”

Wallflower turned away and huffed out, “Keep this up, and I won’t tell you anything about what happens.”

“Like the gossip circuit won’t fill me in.”

“Instead of a primary source.”

Wallflower didn’t have to wait too long for the frustrated groan after that. “You know me too well. Have fun.”

Author's Note:

You may be wondering what powers an ophiotaurus aspect has. So is Corner Case.

PreviousChapters Next