• Published 1st Apr 2016
  • 8,146 Views, 4,442 Comments

Group Precipitation - FanOfMostEverything



Stories set in the Oversaturated World, some silly, some less so.

  • ...
26
 4,442
 8,146

PreviousChapters Next
A Brief History of Pink, by FoME

Being friends with Pinkie Pie wasn't easy. It certainly wasn't relaxing; even Rainbow Dash could feel exhausted watching Pinkie go for too long. But sometimes the exhaustion was more mental, especially when they had to work together on school projects. Pinkie could be fun, yes, but getting her brain to wrap around a given concept when it didn't want to could be a tremendous struggle.

Performing a scene from Zothello had seemed like it would be simple at first, but when it had taken their entire social circle twenty minutes to convince Pinkie that "the Moor of Veneighs" didn't refer to the harbor and another twenty to assure her she wouldn't have to perform it in stripeface, Dash knew she'd be in for the long haul.

Still, they needed to rehearse, and between the two of them, Pinkie was the one with the backyard. As such, Dash landed on the Pies' front step one balmy November morning—okay, afternoon, but that basically qualified as morning on weekends—and rang the doorbell.

Marble answered the door, which Dash knew was a big step for someone who was basically Fluttershy squared. "Hey," Dash said with a small wave. "Here for Pinkie."

"Mmhmm." Marble moved aside, letting Dash in as she went upstairs.

Five seconds later, Dash found herself both terribly bored and terribly curious. She spent almost no time in the Pie household outside of Pinkie's room, and the overall effect was like being in an old timey photo, all blacks and whites and beiges. And a lot of rocks. Every surface seemed to have at least one, some of which appeared to be furniture in and of themselves.

Then, in a moment that might have been surreal somewhere where Pinkie didn't live, Dash realized that part of the old-timey photoness came from a wall of mostly old timey photos. They formed a timeline of the Pies going from left to right, and it was hard to tell when color film got involved. It was still gray people in gray clothes against gray backgrounds, only now there was the occassional bit of brown. Pinkie's baby photos were the only thing to break the trend.

Dash frowned. Well, not quite. There was one woman in some of the photos, her complexion what Rarity might call a pale rose, her hair in giant ringlets. She was big; not obese but scaled up, normal proportions but just bigger than most people.

She trailed the woman back and found her mother, a woman with a much more wiry build but with a smile on her lips while the other's was mostly in her eyes. And as Dash trailed that one back, she settled on what must have been a dance club almost a century ago. The picture was yellowed and cracking beneath the frame, but the girl in it was full of energy. Familiarly so.

In fact...

Dash squinted and leaned in closer. She had plenty of firsthand experience with the limits of the human body, and the girl's arms seemed to extend past those limits, acting more like rubber hoses than flesh and bone.

"Yeah, it skips a generation sometimes."

"Wha!" Dash flinched back, putting a bit more distance between her and Pinkie, who'd said that directly into her ear. "Say what?"

Pinkie was still looking at the photo, looking more thoughtful than Dash had ever seen her. "The pink. Mom didn't get it, but Nana Pinkie did, and Great-Nana Pinkie before her. And it took Mom and Dad three or four tries before it cropped up again, depending on how you count it."

"So Pinkie's like a family name?"

Pinkie shook her head. "Not like with Twilight. We did a little genealogy research over the summer when she heard the pink was hereditary. You go back in her family tree and you've got Twilight Velvet, Twilight Twinkle, Twilight Realm, this big long line of female juniors. But Nana Pinkie's real name was Rose Quartz." She pointed at the large woman. "It was just that she was pretty much the only pink person in the family other than her mom, Pink Spinel."

Dash looked along the right edge of the wall and smiled. "And until you came along," she said, pointing out an image of Rose Quartz gone gray and smiling down at a beaming little Pinkie Pie in her lap, both wearing party hats.

Pinkie nodded, looking at the wall without seeming to see it. "Long, long line of miners and prospectors and quarry owners, and every so often they got someone who... wasn't."

"You okay?"

"Nana Pinkie passed on when I was eleven." Pinkie said it matter-of-factly, like they were studying for history. Except even then she'd be excited when she said an answer. "First funeral I ever went to. And Granny Pie was a few years later. After Sunset broke us all up."

Dash waited for Sunset to show up, apologize, break up the awkward atmosphere, and take over talking about people's feelings. Sunset did precisely none of those things. "Oh."

"Yeah. It... It was kinda rough for a while." Pinkie noticed Dash looking at her and gave a desperate smile. Or at least exposed her teeth. "But everything's okay now!"

"You sure?"

Pinkie bit her lip, but nodded. Then she latched on in something even Dash could tell wasn't a hug. It was the same thing Scootaloo had done when her parents had been stranded in Mozebrique for a few weeks with no way of contacting her.

It was clinging on for dear life.

Dash stood paralyzed, unsure if she should hold Pinkie or not. Before she could decide, Pinkie let go, wiped her eyes, and said, "Come on. We have a scene to rehearse."

"If you ever need to talk—"

"You're here for me. You all are. I know. It's just memories." Pinkie managed something that at least resembled her usual smile. "Come on, you need to convince me my wife's cheating on me."

Dash tried to suss out what Pinkie really felt and knew there was no way she was going to manage it. "If you're sure."

"I am." Another embrace, this one far less desperate. And one that Dash instantly decided to reciprocate. "Thanks."

Author's Note:

"Moor" derives from Moroccoats, and historically from those who invaded this world's Iberian peninsula from across the Marediterranean. The following centuries of cultural, political, and religious shifts in medieval Espoña are beyond the scope of this short.

I know I reversed the relationship between certain holographic space rocks, but if you deny an instance of Spinel the opportunity to do the Charleston in a Roaring Twenties jazz club, why even bother using the character? Besides, Rose Quartz as Cloudy Quartz's mother makes more sense, inasmuch as pony naming conventions ever do. And no one said she was that Rose Quartz.

On the topic of naming conventions, the concept of the female junior, i.e. a daughter named after her mother, is lovingly borrowed without permission from Fylifa's Terms of Forgiveness.

Also, the mental image of the Bearer of Loyalty as Iago is too amusing for me to not do it.

PreviousChapters Next