• Published 1st Apr 2016
  • 8,048 Views, 4,429 Comments

Group Precipitation - FanOfMostEverything



Stories set in the Oversaturated World, some silly, some less so.

  • ...
26
 4,429
 8,048

PreviousChapters Next
Ultra Sun, by FoME

Author's Note:

I recommend reading Chapter 6 of Sunny Days and Pink Lemonade before this, though it isn't strictly necessary.

A deep roar made the very foundations of Cardboard City tremble. An enormous azure saurian emerged from the bay. Water cascaded off of it as it shook its head, making the twin lengths of incongruous hair streaming down the sides of its head whip about and lay waste to the marina. The monster glared at the city without a hint of recognizing the place’s right to exist.

“Oh no!” cried a pink-skinned girl upon one of the city’s many rooftops, her words not quite syncing up with her mouth. “Sugarkaiju is attacking the city!”

The Sugarkaiju roared once more, though going by the intonation, it might have just been a put-upon sigh on the same scale as the beast. It marched forward, more out of obligation than malice.

The plucky young protagonist still stood proudly, going through an elaborate sequence of poses while flipping open a device on her wrist. “Come forth!” she cried, slamming a button on the device. “Sun-E-Flare!”

A robot rose from the depths of the earth, its composition as suspiciously rubbery as the Sugarkaiju. It performed some poses of its own, assuming a combat stance that would’ve looked ridiculous on anything less than ten stories tall.

“Go, Sun-E-Flare!” cried the robot’s handler, pointing as if anyone could miss the monster smashing buildings and questioning its life choices. “Use Rocket Punch!”

Sun-E-Flare thrust its arms forward, low-budget rocket exhaust blasting out of its wrists as its fists launched forward, wavering slightly as though dangling from fishing lines.

Low-budget or not, the results when the missiles struck the invader were undeniable. Sourceless pyrotechnics erupted from everywhere around the Sugarkaiju, consuming blocks of the city in thick smoke. When the cloud cleared away, nothing remained.

“Yosh!” The robot handler pumped her fist in triumph. “Once again, good is triumphant!”

Sun-E-Flare felt no such elation. How could it, when it was but the unfeeling puppet of the proud girl? When it had no feelings of its own in its cold fusion-powered heart? When—?

“I think that’s quite enough of that, don’t you?”

Sun-E-Flare could not blink. Its optical receptors had no need for such a function. But then the blue woman who stood taller even than the Sugarkaiju grabbed its head and pulled, revealing a young woman within the robot, who did stare agog at her.

“I won’t pretend I understand every detail of how you feel,” said the woman, headgem and hair twinkling with stars unknown to astronomy, “but I do know how it feels to pretend your heart isn’t breaking. Would you like to talk?”

Sunny Flare looked around. “Is this… What is this?”

“A dream. Your dream, specifically.” The woman looked around and raised an eyebrow. “I have to say, I’ve never seen such dedication to portraying low production values in one before. I’m not sure if that says more about you or Crystal Prep.”

Sunny placed where she’d seen the woman before. “Aren’t you Canterlot High’s vice principal?”

“I am, yes. According to Sunset Shimmer, my pony self is some kind of god-queen of dreams and the moon. I can’t claim that much authority, but I do try to lend a helping hand to those who are flagellating themselves with their subconsciouses.” The vice principal sat on one of the buildings, blue light reinforcing it as she did so. “So, again, care to talk?”

“Thank you, Ms.…”

“Call me Luna.”

“Ms. Luna. But this is… well, it’s not even my problem.” Sunny looked to the tiny representation of Lemon Zest, barking commands into her wrist communicator.

“If you insist.” Luna rose and began to fade from sight. “Just remember, Miss Flare; when your brain tries to tell you something, try to listen.”

PreviousChapters Next