• Published 1st Apr 2016
  • 8,048 Views, 4,429 Comments

Group Precipitation - FanOfMostEverything



Stories set in the Oversaturated World, some silly, some less so.

  • ...
26
 4,429
 8,048

PreviousChapters Next
Face Facts, by Masterweaver

"It's an aspect of infinity," he explained.

"This is going to be more cryptic bullshit, isn't it?" Coffee Swirl deadpanned.

"Not as such. I shall be direct, since nothing here is not known." The mysterious man looked up to the stars. "In an infinite multiverse, there will be repeats. Reflections. The songs of reality hitting the same note--coincidence, or otherwise. But never is a reflection exact.... Yours is closer to that of the belled sorcerer's, yes, because of the rend. But it would have had similarities regardless. All that the rend does is allow... echoes. The reflections to be clearer."

"That explains nothing."

"An example, then." The man produced a rose. "You know of the godling's young follower, and she—through coincidence or design, I cannot say—is a reflection of another in another realm. This other likes cookies, and the young follower does too. This other believes the best of everyone, and who can say that the one here does not? This other has a taste for the tools of lethality, and I do not doubt you have seen the one here touting her most interesting choice of defense."

Coffee Swirl snorted. "The big red scythe? Yeah, that's just ridiculous. So you're saying she's exactly like this other Ruby Rose."

"Not exactly. No reflection is perfect. That one has no chromelanin and so is sheet-pale, while this one sports a skin of the brightest pink. That one was training from early days to be a warrior of her world; this one has had better self-defense education but only set out as a defender recently. That one has a suffered a great loss in her past; here, though, both her parents yet live." The figure mused over the rose. "Were the world not fractured and remade, the two would have noted the similarity in name and some acts, yet still have lived different lives, been different people."

"Okay. But the world did get bungled up."

"They are yet different, but the cracks in the world mean that reality is shifting to closer reflect the realities around it. It is subtle, sometimes, and only works within the system presented, yet still... over there, she has the gift of speed, and here she was granted the gift of flight. The demons of shadow and bone that wander that world could not translate directly; the cursed monsters of angst look similar, but function so differently on the subtlest of levels. There was even one, one who could have been an interesting ally, who almost was in this fractured world." The man smiled grimly. "Yet her presence was too great a strain for the system that is, and so now she is a might have been that never came to pass."

His eyes rose as he made the rose vanish. "That, of course, is not the only reality that has influenced this one's healing. There are others, some of which you would recognize, some you would not. It is... similar to mimicking the construction of a nearby house, using the same wood to patch the holes in your own. The metaphor breaks down, of course, but yes... that is why there are so many interesting reflections."

There was silence for a moment.

"...I just said that the guy looked like a character from a TV show." Coffee Swirl quirked a brow. "I didn't ask for a multiversal lecture."

"Yet you received one. Not all gifts are expected."

Author's Note:

"Hey Sunset, I found this one series online that—"

"I'm working with what the multiverse gives me, okay!?"

"... I was just going to say I think you'd like it."

(And yes, I'm going with this as the in-universe explanation for the crossover elements.)

PreviousChapters Next