• Published 27th Dec 2016
  • 7,953 Views, 3,786 Comments

Equestrian Fanfiction - Lise



The life and times of Lyra's fanfiction site.

  • ...
25
 3,786
 7,953

PreviousChapters Next
Changeling Contest Results

Okay, the time has come. After a lot of yay, I’ll follow with the good news (after PrinceEric and Brush, I thought it would be a good idea to keep going with the happy :D )

With the extension I have received 107 stories (not counting the ones that failed curation). Also, thanks to the contest changeling fics have become a (small) thing! So, huge thanks to everyone! Maybe I’ll do occasional contests based on underused ideas just to help them being pushed forward :) Next idea… dragons :P

So, of all the fics, some of which were of extremely high quality, we have determined 3 winners, 3 honorable mentions, and 1 dishonorable mention. I’ll go through all that in a bit, but before I want to say that I’ve decided to add a few additional prizes.

All medalists will get the chance to have their photo with a human of their choice (many thanks to ManyFaces, so be sure to send her your love! :) ) Sadly, it will be just a photo and possibly a few minute talk. The winner, of course, will have a fully paid dinner with her in the Crystal Empire (courtesy of InItForTheShipping and SaltyHuman).

All mentions and medalists will receive a custom made pair of human gloves with a logo of their choice (site avatar if none is specified).

With that here we go!


DISHONORABLE MENTION

Me, Myself, andI by JustATroll
It’s a well written silly comedy, about a pair of changelings that have gone to Earth to seek refuge from Celestia’s Reign. Naturally, they transform into copies of the first person who they come across and after a deal is struck help her with everyday chores (going to school instead of her, or shopping, so she can have free time with her boyfriend, etc). Naturally all sorts of mishaps take place.

As I said, it was very well written, Mom JustATroll, but not good enough to go on. Did you seriously think I wouldn’t backtrace the connection? You hid it very poorly, and also I recognize your style. The only reason I mention this is because I find it amusing you wanted to win this contest…and that despite everything it is very well written. (I guess you must have picked up writing at some point, but I never knew you kept doing it.)

I’ll bring your “prize” when I get some free time from uni.


HONORABLE MENTIONS

Love Ring by HoofTies
A golden classic by the author who was responsible for creating the genre. The story revolves round a young woman finding a strange ring in the park, and taking it. The ring turns out to be a changeling who claims to have no memory. Even if it’s short it’s a very touching romance with the occasional action scenes (though just mundane things – pickpockets, thieves, bullies, etc) and Felina corp only doing things in the background.

The biggest problem the story has is that…sadly we know what will happen from the get-go. This isn’t a criticism, rather an unfortunate fact. Sword/Shield Lover is just so well-known and memorable that there’s no surprise that the ring turns out to be a changeling and that a love romance would follow. If it wasn’t for that I see it being among the medalists.

PM me what you want your prize to be :)


The Blonde-Brunette Conundrum by EndlessHearts

Another masterful romance, but a well-known name. We explore the life of a normal girl who starts wondering why her hair starts changing color at random. We follow the girl’s life at school, her falling for Molly (a theme with Endless I have noticed), until it suddenly it’s revealed she is a changeling and that isn’t her final form.

Again, the only reason this isn’t among the medals is that it suddenly cuts off. It’s clear that Endless wanted to write something far larger, but due to time constraints jury rigged a quick ending…and it shows. I hope you continue this! I even demand it! @RRBB see to it! :P


The Infiltration by SpectralNightling

For those who don’t know, SpectralNightling is one of the prolific writers on the site, even if he doesn’t say much. This is fic is a typical Earth-Equestria war fic, from an interesting angle. Seeing Earth as a threat, Princess Celestia has sent a host of changelings to infiltrate and take control of the human world, as a measure against the corporations. We experience lots of cloak and dagger, action scenes, and conspiracies on both sides. The main problem of this fic, as with most of S.N.’s is that it has too much going on. We see the constant battle between Celestia and the corporations through a host of characters doing various actions. At one point I had to stop because I started mixing up who was who. Once school is over, I’d recommend you get in touch with @Twist to help you make the story much more manageable.

Great job, nonetheless! PM me what you want for a prize :D

LightSparkle

Now going to the important post: the winners! Here are the three stories that managed to focus on the topic best and captured the hearts of the judges with pure excellence.

THIRD PLACE
Both Sides by Simile

Probably one of the darkest and well written fics I've seen. When I say dark, I mean from a psychological point of view. There isn't a drop of gore in the story, yet it makes me go ugh! (In a good way.)

The story follows the life of a young man working as a low level Skayla employee (he knows Megan and interacts with her) who is in a long distance relationship with the love of his life. Every day he receives and sends a letter to his love complete with pictures and small gifts. Mid way through the character finds that something odd is going on (the letters are sent from the same town) so he starts in estimating. There's speculation that the corporation is involved, but ultimately it turns out that he's a schizophrenic changeling that has been sending letters to himself for years.

Utterly heartbreaking, especially the way it's written. Just for that I forgive you some of the things you've done :P


SECOND PLACE
Changeling Entrepreneur by Karl’s Cousin

Another great fic written by a stallion. (Sorry for making a point, but I'm tired reading comments that stallions can't write.) This is an interesting PoE fic, in which relations between both words are something normal and a changeling businessbug has decided to open an office in Mistmount. His pitch: we become what you need. It's a great idea with customers coming demanding all sorts lot services. The first client is a young boy who hires one of the changelings to become a can opener for long enough for him to open a can of corn. The second client is a girl who needs a “boyfriend” for a when her parents visit, and the third—a corporate spy that needs two changelings to help him infiltrate a rival corporation and steal an artifact.

It's funny, it's amusing, it's sweet, and also very well written. I can't wait to see more from this author :)


THE BIG ONE!
Illustrious by Jade

I can't say I'm surprised. I love Jade’s way of writing. One of his stories got Max the Evercritical and ask him to marry her…and I can see why. Usually what problems Jade has is that his stories tend to be on the more muds e side. This one is a notable exception. Only thing I can add is that I'm not sure many would manage to pull this off.

The fic is a deity adventure fic from the viewpoint of Chrysalis who goes to love…because the Everprince is her sweetheart. To recap we have a fix fic with overpowered character, involved with deities, who fight the grand9…and it pulls it off magnificently! It's unbelievable how Hade manages to make Chrysalis not only likable (in terms of the fic) but also show her face challenges despite her power. And let's not forget her changing into an evergem (draining her energy) so that the Everprince could fight Poseidon.

I won't spoil the end, but I loved it! ManyFaces loved it! InItForTheShipping loved it! :D

So congratulations! Jade (and Max) get to spend an evening in the Crystal Empire with the human of their choice :)

Everyone else, thanks for participating and hope you take part next contest!

P.S. @DarkSparkle: I really wanted you to win, but… well read for yourself :D

LightSparkle

I have so much to read… Thanks for making this contest, LightSparkle, and thanks to everyone else for participating!

I tried to read some of them, but there were so many. I read Jade’s and Brush’s. I still think Brush should have placed, but I fully agree with the winner :) Jade you are magnificent! How did you come up with this? Please don't tell me Max came up with such a beautiful idea… I'll cry if she did. :P

@DarkSparkle, I liked yours ;)

LyraHands

@LightSparkle: already ahead of you :) Squishy has agreed to continue writing that,Malone with project Butterfly. Also, I think the mentioned seven stories will be great for my first theatrical experience.

@Simile, @HopHop: you two game?

RRBB

Max didn't help one bit. The only thing she went on and on about was how unfair it was she didn't get to see it before I posted it on the site.

And of course, right now she's looking at me as if I were a bowl of chocolate ice cream. If you don't hear from me by tomorrow give the prize to somepony else. Also, I want Many to go as Cassandra.

Jade

@DarkSparkle: don't worry, sis. You'll manage next time. Besides your birthday is approaching, so maybe we can arrange a centaur visit :)

Joking aside, your story was nice. Mom and dad read it too. Mom said she'd give you some pointers for next time.

SaltyHuman

At least my fic wasn't rejected outright. Congrats to the winners :)
@Jade, I wish I could write as well… The way your characters speak, act, and feel are so precise that I can imagine them. It's like I've been discussing things with them last week.

Will there be another contest soon? Contests give me an excuse to write and try to improve.

LittleFinger

I read all of them at work. They definitely were good. I knew I should have written something… CDI, LightSparkle! You infected me with the writing bug once more! Now I can't stop thinking of fic ideas. None of them changeling, but that dragon thing you said…

Bob

@Bob: please do it? O:)

LyraHands

Well, it's settled, then! I'm starting a dragon fic contest!

Write something that has dragons in MC! Once again, it's required that it takes place in MC proper and if possible with a few main characters (at least in the background).

Rewards: to be decided.

Deadline: end of month!

Judges: me and we’ll see.

LightSparkle

Ha! That's my field of expertise! I'll write the best fix there is! A masterpiece of epic proportions that will make you crying for weeks!

MightyDragon

@MightyDragon: Don't worry, all your fics make me cry for weeks…

RRBB

@LightSparkle: no centaur theme? :P

HopHop

@LightSparkle, @LyraHands, @SaltyHuman: Dark is in hospital again. She fainted while we were talking and I couldn't get her to wake up. :((

Things are better now, but she'll be there for a while. This time I won't let her leave until we know for certain what's wrong with her.

Sorry to ruin the contest, but this looks serious.

TrueSparkle

I am locking the thread.

Threads discussing DarkSparkle’s condition, no matter how “innocent” will be locked and deleted. Please keep her privacy in mind.

The TechNightling

PreviousChapters Next