• Published 27th Dec 2016
  • 7,952 Views, 3,786 Comments

Equestrian Fanfiction - Lise



The life and times of Lyra's fanfiction site.

  • ...
25
 3,786
 7,952

PreviousChapters Next
Flurry Contest Winners

Hello, hello, hello! The time has come for results to our very own Flurry Heart Jennifer contest.

First of all, let me thank everyone who participated (and we really do mean this from the bottom of our hearts). Despite the short amount of time the stories we received were a lot (179) all but 2 of which were eligible. (On that note, InItForTheShipping and I rejected those two stories solely because they did not fit well with us. There was nothing technically wrong with them, and curation was respected, and even if it’s certain that Flurry is too young to see anything wrong with the subject matter, we just couldn’t go on with it. Our apologies to the writers.)

So, as for rewards (and we have many of them). We have three categories:

The Jennifer Award – the story that Flurry heart liked the most.
Reward: A statuette of Princess Jennifer. (The name was found cool and this approved. Thanks for PaintDrop for the magnificent art. :) )

The Parental Medalists – the top three stories InItForTheShipping and myself liked the most.
Reward: Free passes (travel and lodgings included) to the next CrystalCon, plus story cover art (from FishSticks, TwoBiscuit, and Gem)

The Dream Award – reward provided by RRBB for the story she finds most suitable for a dreamreading.
Reward: the story will have its own dream reading!

The Midnight Award – reward provided by Prince Blueblood, on behalf of S.Child for the story that is closest to an actual MC chapter
Reward: Complete autographed scroll collection of MCE Vol 1

Honorable Mentions – stories that have caught the attention of all of the above, but didn’t manage to earn a reward.

As you can see quite a bit! With that said Let’s start with the posts (commentary by the respective judges :) )

SaltyHuman

Just a small clarification. Apart from Princess Jennifer being adopted as CrystalCon’s (and by association MC’s) mascot, we have just yesterday received the okay from S.Child for a minor franchise based on her :D

Just to be clear, the IP will be based in the same general universe as MC, but it won’t be directly linked to existing stories. Also, because of Jennifer’s character the target audience will be younger (it will be more foalfiction than coltfiction). Nonetheless, we’ll keep the adventurous spirit you all know and love. :)

Luna

And don’t forget, Jennifer is a Nightling so, better read those stories or I’ll send you to the moon!

TheRealLuna

*gasp* I didn’t see that coming! Congrats, Princess! Guess you showed them, eh? :D

PPI

Since SaltyHuman writes slower than a three-legged chicken in a swimming contest, I’ll provide a clarification as well.

When it’s said that my rewards is a dreamreading, what is meant is that it provides the opportunity of a deal. I am not (at this point) asking for rights outright. Rather the winner will have a one to one with me, and if she chooses, she could sign a deal (including rights, profit sharing, etc). As vicious as I am in business, I also believe that good business is keeping potential and current creators happy, not do things to push them away.

Now, hopefully, I’ve given enough time to Salty to finish his post and we can find out who the winners are :)

Rrbb

It must be a really long list... or SaltyHuman is incredibly slow. ;P

I personally managed to read all submitted stories, plus a part of those who didn’t make it (I.e. unfinished ones). Thank you so much! It’s thanks to the fluff you wrote that my life was bearable this last week. :)

I have my favourites, but I’m in the dark as to who’s actually won. Keeping my hives crossed for somepony in particular :))

LyraHands

Another now without further ado, here are the Honorable Mentions

Cyan-eating Dragon by JustAHuman

It’s a short and nice story about Princess Jenny solving the mystery of the missing rainbow color, discovering a “fluffy dragon” that eats colors which she makes her pet.

There’s everything somepony could want: light-hearted adventure, comedy, mystery, and a cute fluffy dragon. Personally I, sad that this didn’t made it to the medalists. Flurry still liked it, even if she pretended it’s too childish for her.


The Watchtower by IronHand

One of my favorites, this is a classic adventure in which Princess Jennifer and her friends try to get to the top of an abandoned watchtower, only to find out midway in that this is a former Felina’s facility. Once they do, the successfully foil a plot to kidnap Danny and replace him by a magical construct.

We could feel the amount if live and soul poured here, but the amount of grammatical issues kept it from going on. Thanks for writing, IronHoof, and keep at it!


Lightning Flowers by Flora Sunset

A magnificent piece and the only borderline sad story we felt comfortable with reading. Flurry enjoyed it immensely, so we thought that deserves a mention.

The story revolves round Jennifer setting off on a small adventure to find a Lightning Flower for her sick grandmother, who is in hospital. Along the way she meets a pesky pegasus, a cunning cloud, a singing kettle, as well as some human thieves, who help her get the flower in time to give it to her grandmother for her weekly visit. Although it’s not stated explicitly, we felt it was implied the grandmother doesn’t have much time left. Regardless, the story was beautiful.


Down the Up by LivingClock

Princess Jennifer invites Molly to her weird world, in which the laws of nature are insane and everything is in constant flux. This is a prime example of an exploration story, full of adventure, in which Princess Jennifer acts as the guide and Molly is the heroine.

If Flurry were a bit older this would have medaled for certain, but as it is now it proved an amusing, yet was quickly forgotten.


Thank you all for writing these masterpieces. Now before I announce the medalists, I’ll leave Luna and RRBB let you know their winners. :)

SaltyHuman

@PPI: seriously? :/ This was one time it wasn’t fun to ruin the surprise.

I’ll add my voice to LyraHands’ and SaltyHuman’s this thank everyone for their participation. You did a magnificent job, so don’t be discouraged. With the amount of authors on this site it’s difficult to medal, especially since the judge is a young princess. :) The important thing is to keep trying and learn from this contest (both from the mistakes and comments to your story, as ell as the other stories as well).

LightSparkle

@LightSparkle: you should have participated. I should have participated. Now if Simile wins I’ll never hear the end of it.

There’s no chance, right?

TrueSparkle

Since Salty is taking forever, I’ll be brief.

There were a lot of stories that could be made into a dream. Some need a bit of work, others have a great idea that needs to be sculpted for my needs. I based by decision on how close a story is to a direct reading! That means I could take the story and directly give it to Simile and HopHop to do their magic without any corrections and adjustments.

I freely admit that I have rejected stories with greater literary potential because they’re don’t match my needs.

So, the winner is... Violet~Orange by Candle

The story is actually the introduction of Princess Jenny to Earth. She falls on from a portal, hunted by the Grogar corporation, and using one of her power of mind-mimicry (getting others to think they know her) enlists in Molly’s school. Following that we have Molly, along with a few other background characters from her class fight the corporation agents, in comical fashion, until they manage to create the illusion that Jenny has left Earth (using her power again). The title is a clever play upon words since at one point Jenny manages to convince everyone that oranges are violet (just as she manages to convince them she’s always lived in Mistmount).

@Candle, you have gone a long, long, long way since you started. Even if Tech might have helped with editing, the story is perfect for a dream. PM me so we can talk.

RRBB

@RRBB: now come I didn’t win?! :/ My stories are so dream arterial!

AwesomePony

@AwesomePony: I think there’s the small issue that RRBB can’t make dreams of stories containing Daring Do. Oh, and there’s also the matter that the story had to be written for the contest, within the time limit, and had Princess Jennifer for a main character.

MixaMax

This certainly has been a surprising event in many ways. Not only did the contest generate such exceptional interest and stories, but it also created a new product line, a convention mascot, and one of the first original dreamreadings of Dream Productions.

While discussions are still underway, I’m seriously hoping the Jennifer awards could become a permanent part of our community.

The story S.Child found was closest in spirit and execution to Midnight Castle is...

Cloak of a Princess by ShatteredLands

The story takes an entirely different approach than most that I’ve read. Jennifer starts as an ordinary girl in elementary school, who finds a “Princess Cloak” in her locker after gym class. Curious, she puts it on, and is transformed into Princess Jennifer and granted superpowers by none other than Athena. From that moment on, her goal is to stand up for and protect her friends, while trying to uncover the mystery of the cloak.

It’s incredible how the author managed to get all that in such a short story, but it works. A number of elements are hinted at and rely on MCE knowledge to work, but the magic is there. I particularly like how the main character is an ordinary girl, who also needs to keep her princess side a secret. It’s also refreshing that the corporates are barely mentioned.

All in all, a supreme example of fiction, that could easily be added to our running series.

Well done!

number1

I’d just like to point out that had I had the time I’d have written a far more compelling story. Alas time never waits when I ask it to.

SupremeHumanOverlord

The medalists of the contest, and those which SaltyHuman and I found absolutely adorable, are:

Third Place
Puppies by the Dozen by Simile

I’m impressed by the level of emotion put into this story. :) It starts quite simple: Princess Jennifer finds a strange puppy and decides to keep it. However, each time the puppy hiccups it multiplies. At first Jennifer finds it amusing, but soon enough things get out of control and she has to call her cousin Cassandra (didn’t see that coming) to help her capture the puppies. And if th8ngs are not complicated enough, the Everprince also wants the puppy for its magic.

Flurry might have not been impressed, but SaltyHuman and I giggled non-stop while reading it. :)


Second Place
School Detective and Kettle by Brush

Brush, I’ve always loved your stories, but this one is special. :) The main idea revolves round a group of schoolgirls forming a detective club. However, since they need to find a new member before the registration deadline, one of them grabs the first new girl in school they find (who, of course, happen even to be an exchange student Princess). Together they solve an interesting school mystery (the case of the missing sweetbuns). Why the kettle? Well, Princess Jennifer turns out to have a very strict upbringing and cannot skip her afternoon tea. As a detective she thus must keep her magic kettle with her at all times so as not to jeopardize their case.

I found it absolutely adorable! Sadly... Flurry is her tea-hating phase O:)


First Place
Mischief by JustAnotherSparkle

Our absolutely favorite. We wanted this to win, we really did, yet no matter how many times we asked, Flurry didn’t change her mind. (Actually we just asked her once :))

The story is a slice of life, depicting a day of the life of the self-proclaimed Princess of Pranks. In a word, imagine Pinkie Pie going on a pranking spree, only she has the manners of Rarity, and the innocent appearance of a young Fluttershy. :) Her pranks are lighthearted and safe, but extremely efficient, and she still manages to help several classmates with personal issues. Reading it we could imagine Flurry bring that when she gets old enough for school. :)


*hugs* to all medalists. It was more than a pleasure reading your works. SaltyHuman and I have already sent the stories to be made into a booklet for our personal enjoyment long after the contest, And we decided to make a copy for each of you as well.

Once again, thank you! Hope I’ll get to see you at CrystalCon if not sooner.

InItForTheShipping

Not even honorable mention? *cries*

SweetStuff

@SweetStuff: hey, competition is tough! As you see neither Squishy nor Jade made it either (and their stories are crazy good!)

RRBB

@SweetStuff: Might be a good idea to read the winning stories. I, sure you’re learn a lot :) As they say' you’re nearly there.

PaintDrop

And now for the big prize! The story that surprised us, shocked us, made us question everything we know, and more! The story that Flurry has been asking us to read her twice before going to bed...

Sunshine Bunnies by Celestia

A surprise to be sure! For one thing I never expected that Princess Celestia would take part in such a contest. I was sure that Twily would, but not Princess Celestia!

Yeah, yeah. :P The author was a surprise, but not as much as the story! We start with Jennifer being bored in class. Trying to find something interesting she looks out of the window and sees a sun bunny hopping along the surface of a nearby pond. Noticing her attention, the bunny jumps onto the window frame (since it’s of sunlight) and invites Jennifer to go after it. Surprise surprise she follows and sets off on a crazy adventure.

It’s like playing with a ray of light. (Why am I not surprised that Princess Celestia chose that as a story topic... :p) Is still a wonderful story, and I wish i had someone to read it to me when I was a foal (sorry, Mom and Dad, but... it’s soooo goood!) Flurry definitely enjoyed it. We still haven’t told her who the author is (she’ll never give you any peace if we do).

So the first Jennifer trophy goes to Princess Celestia!

Thank you for allowing us some calm and quiet! :)

SaltyHuman

Rigged!

MightyDragon

Excuse him everypony, he has been booped (gently) for his remarks. I found the story charming and will read it to our foal when the time comes :)

CodeFilly

Drat! I was so hoping my story would do better. I can’t compete with the winners, though, well done :) (Also, I got some calm as well. LyraHands is such a foal, she spent several evenings resting against me, reading intently.)

Bob

@Bob, you liar! You always get home after I’ve gone to bed! :/

LyraHands

See, everyone? Intently!

Bob

While I’d like to offer my congratulations, and let others do that, I fear that this might lead to an avalanche of comments. I am therefore taking it upon myself to lock the thread for one hour.

Please do not create additional congratulation threads since that defeats the point and they shall be locked.

Thank you!

The TechNightling

Harsh.

MightyDragon

PreviousChapters Next