• Published 27th Dec 2016
  • 7,952 Views, 3,786 Comments

Equestrian Fanfiction - Lise



The life and times of Lyra's fanfiction site.

  • ...
25
 3,786
 7,952

PreviousChapters Next
The Answer

Hello, my darlings! Life took an unexpected turn for me this week, but I can gladly say that I managed to go through all submissions last night and have chosen the top three winners. I must say that a lot of you did a wonderful job and put your soul and heart into it, sadly there could be only one winner (unfair, I know :( ) and so I had to make the difficult decision.

However, I would also like to take the opportunity to say a few words about some of the stories that stood out. That doesn't mean that the rest were in any way inferior, oh dear me no! These are just things that I personally found amusing or touching while reading them. :)

So without further ado here goes!

Bubbles by JustAnotherSparkle

I must say I really enjoyed this one. Yeh whole story is the description of Danny’s life (discussions and battles included) from the view of a pet goldfish that he was given by his sister (Molly). The story is really well thoughts out and quite well written (even if a bit rushed). I found it incredibly amusing to read some of the descriptions.

They did a lot of shouting, then my pet [Danny] got a need of water so he left Cassandra do mouth to mouth to him. Afterwards he seemed much better and relaxed. If I had known he's of so limited intelligence I'd gladly have explained him the dangers of oxygen poisoning.

Or

The technician came again. Usually he only comes at night and when no one is here. This time he must have gotten his schedule wrong, because he popped in exactly when Danny was talking with his friends, and none of them were happy, I could tell you that. There was a bit of shouting and things flying about, after which Danny kicked the technician out of the window. A pity. I liked him. He used to feed me each time he came to fix the lights.

The only reason it didn't rate was for the marginally inferior style to our winners. Still, keep writing Just :) You’ll get there!


My pet Kitten-Raven by SweetStuff

The reason I chose this is because it's so deliciously a story within a story within a story. :) We have Caprice get a kitten for Blazen’s birthday (wonderful detail that she took the kitten from Fluttershy, by the way). However, as she passes through the portal the kitten transforms into a raven with the mind of a kitten.

The story explores Blazen going on missions and his complicated relationship with Euryala and Caprice (somepony is a humieshipper :)) while also raising the raven and using it in his day to day life.

Charcoal didn't budge. Eh started at the cat as a dragon would stare at an equal, then unequivocally flawed its wings indicating the other was not welcome. Had anyone seen it they would have thought they were dreaming, for everyone knows that cats and ravens don’t mix. The cat was equally surprised, arching a brow then moving a step closer only to walk away seconds later in pursuit of a saner prey.

Personally, I think that you should either avoid combat scenes altogether, or practice them much more. Other than that you have the style and the wit to make beautiful stories. :)


Third place goes to My Sad Little Star by Celestia

I wasn't sure whether to be upset or not at this. I won't lie, I cried my eyes out several times! At the end I just couldn't not give it a prize! The story follows the life of a star Phoenix and its owner Eric. The sad part? Well at first there's every indication that Firestar (the Phoenix that fell from the stars because she was so weak) would die by the end of the story. Something would happen and she'd get seriously hurt and Eric would take care of her (saying it's okay and tending to her). However, the more and more to story continues we see that it's Eric growing old and Firestar remaining as she is. At the end it's Eric that dies, uttering his last words to Firestar. And if that doesn't tug on the heartstrings enough, tech star Phoenix dies of sorrow of her friend’s death and explodes returning to its original form of a blue star, always weeping the memory of Eric.

I…I won't even quote anything. Just remembering makes me sad. And I know i’ll read it again. It's so well written and full of sadness that I don't even…


Second Place is for Corporate Grasshopper by LightSparkle

Unlike the previous sad ballad, this is a short and sweet comedy describing how Orpheus found his pet grasshopper (mentioned briefly once in The Dagger’s Shadow). To put is simply, a grasshopper hops onto him during one of his fights (with Orpheus being on the ground after getting defeated by Bellucio) and keep coming back to him ever since, until Orpheus give up and makes him his pet.

“Attack!” Orpheus ordered. There was no open facing him in the empty room, yet he had learned from experience that was the only way to get the grasshopper emerge from his hiding place. And sure enough it did.

The insect crawled out of his sleeve pocket, glanced about briefly—as if to make sure there were no fire bolts flying its way—then hopped onto the boy’s shoulder to admire the view. Orpheus was expecting this, so he turned in the direction of his unwelcome companion flashing a smug smile. It was logical to think this as a moment of victory, the point at which he tricked the annoying grasshopper into revealing himself. It was logical to think the grasshopper would flee once he found out about the deception, instead it turned its small green head, staring Orpheus straight in the eye, and shook its antennae in an unmistakable gesture of “Well? What are you waiting for?”

As one of the site’s stars I don't think there's anything I could say… well, other than maybe next time edit your work a bit better? :) I could use a few more edits, that's for sure.


Finally… first place does to PPI with Anywhere Who

I tried. I really tried to not have this win, but… The story defies logic. I won't even bother to explain what it's about (not that it's possible). Read it. Just read it and please tell me I'm wrong to have placed it first! I promise I'll throw it out faster than a used hoofkershief.

It's..it's…it's it!

Well, PPI, I don't know how you did it, but you won first place (just as you predicted! :/) I'd say enjoy your first place, but I know you already have :)

Grace

@Grace: Does that mean you must now marry PPI? >:D

Also, how come Short didn't get a mention?! I demand a recount!

RRBB

@RRBB: because my story wasn't good enough? It was a pretty boring story and PPI’s story was hilarious. You said so yourself.

Short&Hoofy

Details! I'll be sure to give you a consolation prize! ;)

RRBB

@RRBB: not today. I'm off to the Crystal Empire for a few days. Write to you more in PM *hugs*

Short&Hoofy

@RRBB: good heavens, no. Neither me or PPI are so inclined. I admit it would have made for a wonderful story, sadly it's not to be. PPI is in a long distance relationship and I am seeing somepony :)

Grace

@Grace: You know, you seem very much like my sister. -.- If that's so I know for a fact that you're not seeing anypony right now! You're just working on your fashion shows and collections and keeping an eye on me all the time!

SweetStuff

@SweetStuff: my dear SweetStuff, if I were indeed your sister I would not appreciate you holding that tone! I am perfectly capable of see whoever I want whenever I want and would not need to stoop so low as to invent an imaginary coltfriend, thank you very much!

As it so happens I'll be seeing him in a few hours! Humph!

Grace

I didn't see that coming… PPI actually won? Celestia in 3rd? 47 entries in total?!? I must make a contest one day. But not today :)

@PPI: congrats! I'm not sure the site can handle any more of your stories, but please keep them coming :) Same does for everyone else :) You don't need a contest to be great :)

LyraHands

Boys are the best pets… O;)

Brush

Author's Note:

And here's a list of all active members with ID or speculation :)
Member List

Courtesy of NeonGreenTiger

PreviousChapters Next