• Published 27th Dec 2016
  • 7,949 Views, 3,786 Comments

Equestrian Fanfiction - Lise



The life and times of Lyra's fanfiction site.

  • ...
25
 3,786
 7,949

PreviousChapters Next
The Computer Analysis

Hi all,

After everything that has happened I thought I'd try to bring some smiles in the only way I know how: Everhere review. (@Feather: thanks :))))

Let me just start by saying that this chapter turns things upside down again, so be prepared :D

We start with Molly and Bellucio reappearing in Mistmount after/during their Chosen adventures (so far there's no direct tie-in). Bellucio’s parents freak out (of course) since he hasn't been home for a while. There's some comedy bits with everyone assuming that Molly is his girlfriend. (Not sure if this is foreshadowing or a joke towards us Nightlings :P)

With things getting too awkward, Molly decides to go back home. There she practically catches Megan and Cassy making out (only heavily implied). There's another awkward scene at which point she goes to her room to find Athena there. The Molly Athena scene is the best I've ever read. Instead of talking, Athena creates a world in Molly’s mind where she could see everything that has happened. However, she isn't just invading the mind! An avatar of Molly is also there, guiding her and Athena only goes to places she's allowed. It is thee that they talk during flashback scenes of past stories reenacted.

It's interesting that Athena smiles for the first time once the mind journey is over (I checked). She also explains some things about herself, but only hints she might let Molly in her mind at some point.

Molly, Megan, Cass, and Athena go in the living room, when Danny rushes in (hardly batting an eye) and says they have a huge problem. (Incidentally, this is one of the most girl heavy scenes in the series). Apparently, computers have gone insane all over Mistmount to the degree they have started hurting people. Everyone looks at Cassandra who just says she's been off the grid. Upon trying to connect, though, her hand device enters frenzy mode and attacks Molly. There's a sort of fight scene with everyone (except Athena) trying to catch the device which has grown aether limbs and is running about. At the end it's Molly who manages to smash it with her new water powers (being a Chosen has its advantage, I guess :))

The group discusses what's going on, then the rest are called to Danny’s since the problem is growing. It's mentioned that Euryala and Blazen are gone (Danny wonders if she might know something about it). Icelos is also mysteriously gone (maybe because of Athena?) so they can't get any help. Eric suggests asking Zeus, but none of them have heard from him since the Everprince’s return.

The group then go about Mistmount to try and find the source of the incidents. Surprisingly the corporations aren't responsible (Felina corp is even targeted). As they fight various devices two things are made clear: the first incidents started a day after Molly and Bellucio went to seek Poseidon and have been doubling in intensity ever since; the devices have started to merge and make even more complicated magitech.

Athena is adoringly useless (best new character!): any device that tries to attack her is instantly destroyed, yet she never does anything on her own, just taking along as an observer while everyone else fights. Karl also notices that Bellucio doesn't seem to be targeted, while Molly is. At one point a… computorsaur(?) charges at Molly, but stops as soon as Bellucio rushes in to protect her. It's then revealed that the accidents are a manifestation of the computer who had fallen in love with Bellucio (continuity! with Chronicles). Because of Bellucio’s family she thought he and Molly had eloped and was punishing everyone who had anything to do with that, including the Everprince. We learn that the computer is in fact an entity/girl from an aether dimension that had managed to enter Mistmount through a crack in the aether (don't ask.). Some of tech funniest dialogue follows (I won't spoil it), but also a warning. Computrix (name I came up with) mentions that her alliance (?) has been searching for reals to invade for a while, but she has been keeping things quiet because of falling in love with Bellucio. Now, however they have noticed and Mistmount might be in for trouble.

And there we have it: insanity to a new level. I know I'll never look at my aethertech the same way :P

Each time I see a reference to an earlier MC chapter I'm amazed at the things that happen. I can't tell if all this was planned, or the writers manage to make cool stuff on the fly. In any event I enjoyed :) Your thoughts?

PrinceEric

@PrinceEric: you're the one and only :) I'm sure all Griffin fans fangirl/boy knowing they have blankets with your fluff :P

As much as I was skeptical, this was a pretty good chapter. You can tell they are back to writing the Chronicles way: humor, weirdness, links to other random chapters… it's almost as I'm ready vol 5, but with better arcs.

Athena is becoming likable. I so much feared she'd be the new badass/love interest, but thankfully she's neither. Hope the trend continues.

MixaMax

@MixaMax: you have no idea… I blame GriffinGirlfriend. On that note, somegriffin please ask her out already! Not cool getting goddess syndrome :/ That's an area GG is shy: she never asked out first, even if she should!

@PrinceEric: you're cool as ever, kiddo. Once this place is normal again, I'll bring you (and your +1) to visit :)

Feather

@MixaMax: Ha! Hahaha! I wish. Ever since she appeared there have been a wave of Athena fics, specifically her bring the most badass, as well as shipped to everything in existence. There even were a few slap fics sneaked in hoping I would read till the fifth chapter (nice try, though :))

Chapter was fun, yes. At times I miss the old days when things were simple. This chapter sort of reminds me of that. Remember all the one shot villains? If we could have more of those again it would be fun. Also, I'm curious what the aether universe is. Looks like we'll soon find out :)

RRBB

@Feather: gladly! :)

@RRBB: that would be so much fun! I wonder what computrix would look like :))

PrinceEric

Let the ship and slap fics flow!

MightyDragon

@PrinceEric: maybe it's a dimension of centaurs?

SaltyHuman

Somewhere Dark’s wings just fluffed up :P

MightyDragon

PreviousChapters Next