• Published 27th Dec 2016
  • 7,931 Views, 3,786 Comments

Equestrian Fanfiction - Lise



The life and times of Lyra's fanfiction site.

  • ...
25
 3,786
 7,931

PreviousChapters Next
Controversy

Okay, I know it technically follows the rules, but how exactly did The Syndicate get past curation? :/

I’m not denying that it’s technically well written (to a certain degree), but what the *yay*?! How can *yay* and gore be banned, but not this? Anypony could see this is in the same vein as grimdark. The worst thing is that it definitely isn't tagged or described as such!

“Thriller” doesn't begin to describe what the fic really is! And if the chapters so far are any indication things are only going to get worse! While the first three chapters are interesting, things quickly take a turn towards the disturbing. The fic deal with issues such as finger smuggling (I'm not even making this up!!!) and illegal pet ownership. And while there's nothing too grotesque shown in the story itself, it's definitely implied in at least half a dozen instances.

And then we go to the latest chapter which is beyond describable! I know I'm probably a minority judging by the amount of positive feedback the fic has received, but I can and I am making a scene about it!

@mods: are such fics allowed or not? And if they are allowed, why don't we have an adequate tag to warn readers of the contents?

Jade

@Jade: don't look at me. I've been so busy with school and other stuff that I've barely had any time for curation. In fact I hadn't even read the story before you pointed it out. Personally, I wouldn't have blocked it, but I see where you're coming from. Better tagging is needed on that one. From the description I got the impression that it's just another crime syndicate story. The practices described are too much.

Carrying a human finger on a chain round your neck for luck? No thanks! A shame since the author is clearly talented.

RRBB

Wait what?!? What the heck is this? I haven't read the story, but that sounds… so argh!

You're actually telling me that it's about ponies who chop off human fingers and sell them for luck? I think I vomited in my mouth :(

LyraHands

Actually, I accepted it.

@Jade: I must admit, however, that I did make a comment that it had to be toned down in future chapters… which clearly didn't happen :/ I see I'll have to have a talk with the author.

Sadly at this point there's nothing much that could be done. The story has gained a level of popularity and a category of its own, as it seems. @The TechNightling, can you add that, please? Sorry for the mess up.

LightSparkle

@Jade: Are you sure it's that bad? I just started reading it and it seems mostly okay so far…

MightyDragon

@MightyDragon: did you read the latest chapter?! After her argument with the Broccoli brothers Silk Flower wakes up with a severed human head next to her.

As if finger cutting and caged humans wasn't enough. :/ I don't know who the author is, it might very well be an alt account of someone I know, but such stories have no place here, I find. I'm not saying this should be a puppies and rainbows, but there are things that cross the line and this is one of them!

Also, just as a side comment, all the mistreated humans just happen to be male. :/ It’s obvious this is some sort of sick fantasy. That of course, is just my personal opinion.

@LightSparkle: I don't agree that if something becomes popular that should excise it. In any normal society it should be exactly the opposite. If something is bad it's bad! If enough ponies start liking Sombra would that suddenly make him good?

And please don't tell me it's just “Fanfiction” so it's okay!

Jade

@Jade: I wasn't doing to say that. If anything I find finger necklaces more disturbing than you think. Let me say it again, I only okayed the first three chapters. And even that was under the condition the author lightened the tone. The fact that she didn't and instead added buckets of gore isn't a good case for her defense.

Anyway, I'm also not comfortable asking that she remove it. Technically it follows the guidelines. All the gruesome details are left to the reader’s imagination. We've talked with you about such things before, but if you're asking me to make, a ruling, I say it stands with the appropriate tags and warnings.

LightSparkle

The situation is currently being discussed. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

In the meantime, please refrain from making any further speculation until a decision has been reached and announced.

@Jade: On a personal note, after reading the story in question, I do not believe that it targets males. The grotesque nature of the chapters is not in question, and I tend to agree with you, however, please don't bring in other issues. The reason, as is stated, is that since male humans have been on frequent visits to Equestria, they are associated with good luck (so to speak).

Thank you,

The TechNightling

This is *yay* and you know it!

Jade

Please, everyone. Let's just calm down a bit. There's no need for thread locking and temp bans.

@Jade, you know I love you, but please try to relax a bit. I know you're far more understanding, just as I know how personal you take such things and am always here if you need to vent. A lot of Nightlings look up to you, both as a writer and as a pony. Remember that :)

I am confident that LyraHands and the mods will make the right decision, we just need to give them some time so they can decide what the right decision is.

DarkSparkle

This fic went down fast :(

You be read more disturbing, but agree that their place isn't on this site, even with a warning. If it were a few scenes, sure, but the more I read the more I get the impression this was the central theme.

Unrelated, but happier topic, I have finally managed to finish some of the prize pics for InItForTheShipping’s contest. More to come :)

PaintDrop

Okay, after some discussion and talks with the author we have agreed that psychological torture stories are a bit too much. The fic, however, will not be removed, but rather the author has agreed to edit it to a bearable level.

That's all, I guess.

LyraHands

Thank you.

Jade

PreviousChapters Next