• Published 27th Dec 2016
  • 7,949 Views, 3,786 Comments

Equestrian Fanfiction - Lise



The life and times of Lyra's fanfiction site.

  • ...
25
 3,786
 7,949

PreviousChapters Next
Clothes and Speculation

Reviews have been slow lately, so I've been wondering about something: clothes. Not sure if this hasn't been mentioned before, but the way humans use clothes (as described in MC) is strange. The shoes thing I can totally understand, we ponies have horseshoes as well, so there's some logic to it. Same with jewelry, but everything else…

It's like they are completely opposite to us: always wearing clothes and taking them off on special occasions. (Bellucio is a good example, who always has his shirt unbuttoned or off during modeling, but not anywhere else.

So what do you all think on the this? (Especially the fashion pros here.:)

GriffinGirlfriend

@GriffinGirlfriend: is that the sort of deep conversations you have here? :P

GLGJ

@GLGJ: don't be rude, bby. (If you’re mean to everyone AwesomePony will be jelly :P)

Clothes are lame to the max, but MC makes them cool. That's why I think they have them. They are in all the comics. Impractical as *yay* but they’re still there. Sometimes they're even cool. I love zippers! Whoever invented that is some sort of genius.

Feather

Actually clothes are a very interesting subject! Thanks for bringing that up, GriffinGirlfriend!

Unlike us, Humans seem to treat clothes as a second skin, one without which they feel naked (see what I did there? :)) It’s precisely why they are described in such great detail in the stories. So far I have categorized twenty-three categories of clothes, although I expect I could combine them into less, though that wouldn't be as accurate as I have them now.

The items that absolutely fascinate me are socks! I know it's never been described but having splitters with fingers made of cloth is just so cute! Maybe I'll try to make a set of human socks for Hearth’s Warming. :) and I'll add buttons as well!

DarkSparkle

@DarkSparkle: umm, I don't think socks work that way…

TrueSparkle

@TrueSparkle: oh? And how would you know? Are you a socks expert all do a sudden. Functionally there should be more socks with fingers than without! Humans have toes, after all, so it only stands to reason.

DarkSparkle

Argh! Again with the socks! :/ Why can't this topic just die. It seems every few weeks somepony restarts it out of the blue. Then a dozen threads “who would cutest in socks” appear and are ALWAYS won by Bellucio (with Eric or Danny being a close second second).

In regard to the original post, yes. Things seem to be the opposite there, as hinted in a few chapters. Humans tend to freak out when they see someone without clothes. And it's also clearly a sexual thing based on all the blushing. I guess all clothes are seen as suggestive. Still, I'm sure that we’ll all agree this makes the MC universe so unique! Personally, I almost can't remember any other series (coltfiction or other) in which clothes are treated in this way. And the most interesting part: it's so seamless that we think “this is a neat idea” and accept it.

The series is far richer because of clothes, not to mention the many instances they have been used to progress the plot or help the characters get out of a tricky situation. Also, as we've seen, they are great for cosplay :)

MixaMax

Oh, shirt-kun, you compliment me so much. I want to be with you forever!

So do I, skirt-chan! We were meant to be a set! I never want to be separated from you!

*Trousers-chan looks at them from behind the corner and sighs* I’ll make you mine, shirt-sempai. I might not be girly like skirt-chan, but I will make you mine! You deserve so much better than a flirt that waves about for everyone. Because if I can't have you I'll tear myself in two.

Brush

@Brush: you say the sweetest things. ;)

Going back to clothes, i’d just like to note that apart from everything else they are used for protection. I wear them all the time at work so I can say that they aren't just for show. (Yeah, yeah, I've heard all the stallion jokes. And first to tell me I “fly like a stallion” gets a hoof in the face!)

Sometimes it's just really annoying how ponies (and big shots) think that the reason I wear my uniform is “to look sexy for PR purposes”. Idiots have probably never flown a day in their lives! What's next? Armor is just there to make guards look sexy too?

Sorry for the rant. Just had another annoying day at work. :/

CEOWitch

*earnibbles CEOWitch*

Brush

I can't believe I'm reading this! Clothes again? Is this a fetish thing? I mean I can understand and agree that clothes can be very sexy, but starting another conversation about it…

Who am I kidding:P I love human clothes! In fact, if any of you want, I could bring a few sets of “genuine” human socks at the convention.

LightSparkle

@LightSparkle: won't that be terribly expensive? Pony socks are very easy to make, but human socks (as described in the stories) Require a lot of effort and patience. Making them is tardily easy.

I'd still like a pair to study the design, if possible.

Candle

Did you know that there’s a surprisingly large number of genuine human clothes in Equestria? Princess Celestia herself is rumored to have a whole closet full of them, diligently collected throughout the years.

Among those there's said to be: a prom gown, a leather jacket, seven sets of human shoes, two pairs of gloves, and several sets of trousers and t-shirts.

Speculator7

@Candle: don't worry about it :) I’ll get a few pairs for you and SweetStuff’s “fat sister” :)

LightSparkle

@LightSparkle: said fat sister is making enthusiasm horse noises behind me. Also notes she isn't fat, but would like 6 pairs.

*sigh* See what I have to put up with? I'm kidding, she's great. (When she allows me to have me space, that is.)

Will be great seeing you at last! <3 Can't wait!

SweetStuff

@Speculator7: Oh, no! You know!

@LightSparkle: Sorry, dear, I just couldn't resist :)

Celestia

@Celestia: Mom! :/ Will you stop that!

LightSparkle

@LightSparkle: If you can order a pair of human gloves I'd be very grateful. Money is no issue :)

Bob

Please continue the “orders” in the appropriate sections, or via PMs.

Thank you!

The TechNightling

PreviousChapters Next