• Published 27th Dec 2016
  • 7,952 Views, 3,786 Comments

Equestrian Fanfiction - Lise



The life and times of Lyra's fanfiction site.

  • ...
25
 3,786
 7,952

PreviousChapters Next
Puppy in a Bottle Analysis

So I tried to do a double review, but after reading the latest chapter I couldn't resist starting with the latest first. :) (“Puppy in a Bottle” if tweet was any doubt.) Seems like the second arc of Everwhere is full of non connected stories, very much like Mistmount was. This one was so cute that I just arghed!

(Just a note: Blaze and Euryala have returned in the previous chapter so are here now)

We start with Eric visiting Omni’s house. There's a talk with Omni’s parents, discussing how they still hope he returns (the official version is that he's missing). Eric is allowed to go to Omni’s room where we have a lot of flashbacks (half are things that happened in previous chapters, plus a few interesting infobits that we didn't know about). Suddenly, Karl comes in all goofy as usual, and out of nowhere opens Omni’s wardrobe… and a landslide of stuff nearly buries them. Eric panics and quickly blocks the door (so that Omni’s parents can't come in), then rushes to start arranging things back, when they find a totally unexpected side of Omni. Apparently all the objects were souvenirs from adventures Omni was on, most of which on his own. Eric and Karl start looking through the things, winding why they didn't know, when one of the dark bottle barks. Before Eric could react, Karl opens the bottle and a wind puppy (?) leaps out, chews through the window, and escapes.

Eric, of course, gathers everyone and tells them what happened. Since no one knows exactly what the puppy is they start chasing it in an attempt to catch it. (We see every pet chasing disaster cliche, but they are described so sweetly that I don't mind :)) At one point it turns out that the puppy is a howl puppy (if it howls it drains magic; and the more it howls the more it drains going so far as to draining energy from people). It's interesting that Computrix helps with the search even if Bellucio still refuses to forgive her (having in mind what happened in Chosen maybe there's a reason for that?)

Blazen shares the info about the howl puppy (he guesses when they see it howl for the first time right before escaping again) then everyone splits up to find it before it goes crazy (it is said that the more scared and lonely it feels the more the puppy would howl). Capris goes with him, at which point they have their first serious emotional talk. Capris shares that she had a crush on him, but can tell he's a couple with Euryala now. Blazen doesn't deny it, instead only saying he wish things were different. Capris starts a joke through her tears, when suddenly they spot the puppy. With some ingenuity they capture the puppy, but Blazen doesn't have the heart to put it in a bottle (which apparently is the only way to store it). Following that we see him using his power (for the first time) and attaching the soul of the puppy to his wrist (a tattoo appears).

Next we have the typical ending with everyone cleaning up Omni’s room (puppy included). Some reminiscing is done and they all say they miss him. Meanwhile, some distance outside we see the Everprince looking at them and commenting to Echo how he misses the puppy.

That's it. Even with the final spooky moment, I loved this chapter. (I reread it so many times.) also cute that Blazen has a tattoo puppy that drains mana :) Wonder if we’ll see more of that in his spinoff. :D

What do you all think? I'll try to analyze the previous chapter tomorrow.

PrinceEric

Since I'm so out of form, here's a quick sketch of Karl and puppy.

…yes, I admit that snugbug posed for me (both as Danny and as puppy :)) Guess that's one of the advantages of having a changeling coltfriend :)

And the chapter was nice. It's been a while since I read something relaxing as this. The site had me a bit desensitized with everything going on, but this chapter managed to get me to think that yesterday's decision was the right one.

More sweet stories, please. :)

PaintDrop

Not fair! Squishy was writing something close to that! It wasn't a puppy but a kitten and it wasn’t Eric, but Molly, but the Karl aspect was there, as well as the Blazen saving it (even if not in the same way).

Still, seeing her finally relax a bit while reading it was sweet…and distracting o:).

@Simile, @HopHop: Think you can practice on that one? The chapter, I mean. If we can get a way to convey sweetness it will be magnificent!

RRBB

@RRBB: Pfft. Of course, I can. I've been getting extra lesions since the incident. In a few more weeks and I'll be able to dreamsculpt myself dreamsculpting. :)

Simile

@Simile: I am speechless…

Cute chapter. In other news results of ten contest are nearly done. ManyFaces has agreed on the date and Luna has picked the restaurant. You sure gave us a difficult time :P

Also, to the author who submitted a Computrix x grown Molly fic… you did well. I'm not too much into F-F, but I find that one magnificent. Jade and Max agree. Keep up the good work :)

LightSparkle

Did sis won?

SaltyHuman

@PrinceEric: Now I want to get a puppy of my own… @Brush, can I get a puppy? Something fluffy, but with character :)

I might be a sucker for redemption, but I hope the Everprince becomes Omni again. Also, I'm not sure how we’ll be able to resolve the conflict in the remaining chapters. So far we keep having more and more groups appear, yet no battle. Deities, Athena, Computrix, overseers, corporations, Titans… how is this all connected? And I'm not even talking about Chosen and Blazers (when that comes out).

@Luna, @number1: I hope you don't end on a cliffhanger! :P

LyraHands

@LyraHands: I make no promises, but some things will be resolved. Also… I've been allowed to say that work has started on the second volume of Everhere. :)

Luna

As well as volumes 3-7, in which Danny turns into a rabbit to save the world from the mad haze invasion.

TheRealLuna

I could see that…

Grumpy

PreviousChapters Next