• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,724 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,724

PreviousChapters Next
Southern Intervention

Rainbow Dash tossed the last half of a fruit bar down her muzzle, munched liberally, and swung her lower body towards a swath of clouds. With exploding patches of mist, she flew through several alabaster bands of moisture, reducing them to translucent ribbons. Once she was done an entire cloudbed, she spun—deadpan—to soar towards another.

She nearly ran into Thunderlane and Candy Floss, who both flinched upon nearly colliding with their speedy weather flier.

“R-Rainbow Dash! H-hey!” Thunderlane awkwardly waved a hoof.

“How are you doing, girl?”

Rainbow raised an eyebrow above her bulging blue cheeks.

“Uhm... Thunderlane and I were talking...” Candy Floss cleared her throat and smiled nervously. “Maybe you would... uh... l-like to hang out after work today? Grab some hay fries, perhaps?”

Rainbow Dash hovered in place and replied, “Mrmmff-mmrmrfmmfm-mmrrmmf-mmmrf—” Her eyes crossed. She took one massive gulp and exhaled. “Ennngh... I-I kinda sorta just ate. Thanks, though.”

“Well, it doesn't have to be food, then,” Thunderlane said. “Maybe you'd like to hang out for old time's sake?”

“We all lived in Cloudsdale at one point!” Candy Floss said in a cheery tone. “Maybe we could share some old stories around a park bench? Celestia knows you've got quite a tall tale or two to tell!”

“Yeah. I've got bunches.” Rainbow Dash pointed at the fluffy skies. “But these clouds aren't gonna kick themselves. I'd really like to buck them out of the blue sky with time to spare.”

“Why the big hurry?” Thunderlane asked. “Candy here and I were about to go on break. Why don't you chill with us for a bit and get back to these later?”

“No can do. I've got stuff to do.”

“You sure of that?” Candy Floss asked.

Rainbow squinted at her suspiciously. “What's this all about anyway?”

“Oh! N-nothing!” Candy Floss grinned brightly. “You're so busy all of the time and it seems a shame for you to work yourself to a bone while you're still so young and swift and everything!”

Dead silence.

Thunderlane droned, “Candy Floss here thinks you're depressed.”

“Shhhhh!” Candy angrily whapped his skull with an orange wing. “Thunder!”

“Ow! But the other day you said—”

I know what I said! You don't have to repeat it.”

Rainbow stared at the two of them with dull eyes. “Uh huh...” A deep-winded sigh, followed with: “Look, thanks for the concern, but I'm fine, really.”

“See?” Thunderlane shrugged at Candy Floss. “She says she's fine.”

“Are you sure?” Candy stared with worried eyes. “You hardly ever smile, and you're always on the move, and it seems as if you never talk to anypony.”

“Pfft. Of course I talk to ponies! I've got friends in smexy places! Why, just yesterday, I hung out and did shopping stuff with a zebra!”

“Still, we only ever see you when you're totally alone,” Candy said. “We're not just your co-workers, Rainbow Dash. We like you just as much as any other pony.”

“Zecora likes to shop?” Thunderlane gawked. Whap! “Ow! Darn it, Candy!

“For serious, I'm totally chill!” Rainbow Dash hovered backwards, shrugging. “I just got stuff to do, is all. So... y'know... don't take it seriously or nothing, but I really have no time for hanging out with anypony whatsoever right now.”

“There ya are! Howdy! Down here, sugarcube!” a voice called from far below. “I gotsta see ya for a sec!”

“Duahhhhhhhhhh!” Rainbow performed the biggest inhale of her life, and all of it through a jaw-cracking grin. “AJ!” Spinning, she aimed herself earthward like a missile. “Yeah, just a sec!” FWOOOSH! She accelerated from zero to one hundred in the space of two and a half seconds, creating an exploding pocket of air that knocked Thunderlane and Candy Floss off their feathers.

“Gaaaaaaaaaaieee!” Both pegasi flew off, spiraling half a mile over the canopy of the Everfree Forest.

PreviousChapters Next