• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,702 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,702

PreviousChapters Next
Framing

Rainbow Dash touched down on the front stoop of her floating home that night. She ignored the “For Lease” sign as she made her way into the front room, pausing beside a table where there was placed a photo of her and her best friends. Using her feathers as opposable fingers, she picked the frame up and looked at the glossy surface.

Twilight was in the center of the photograph…of course. She was always in the center--as she deserved to be. Rainbow Dash hovered along the fringes, her wings blurred in mid-flap as the camera did its best to capture the moment.

Blinking, Rainbow placed the photo down and looked at the others arranged across the table. There were several group pics in the pegasus’ collection, an outrageous bunch for that matter, most of which she had received from the likes of Rarity or Pinkie Pie, and she had never had the nerve to toss them away.

In every photo, Rainbow Dash was always hovering, flying, or levitating along the edges. She’d be positioned to the side of the group, above them, or behind them, peeking through to flash a smirk. It never occurred to her that she had made it happen that way every time she posed for a photograph. Still, the realization tickled her in a strange way.

But it wasn’t nearly as curious a discovery as what she saw next. With squinting eyes, she leaned forward, staring at each photograph.

There was another pony positioned along the edge of each frame, a pony that accompanied her, a pony that--evidently--saw the need to situate herself as close to Rainbow Dash as possible, as if acting as a final link between the center of the group and the loyal pegasus in orbit.

A breath escaped Rainbow Dash, and her grin grew gradually. Her eyes reflected the pony’s smiling face, her bright green eyes, her strong and dependable frame leaning within proximity of her own.

When Rainbow Dash went to bed that night, she was too delirious to bother showering. As she lay beneath the sheets, the sweat and anxiety of the day mingled with her, and she imagined it was the scent of somepony else, somepony always keeping watch from her, even if from far below.

“Hmmmm…” She snuggled into her pillow with an exhausted smile on her face. “I am in love…” And the smile grew wider.

That was enough for that evening. She didn’t have to murmur the six words. Not that night.

She fell into the arms of sleep and drifted away.

PreviousChapters Next