• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,719 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,719

PreviousChapters Next
Wuh Oh

"You know, I kind of dig this in a way, really." Rainbow Dash smiled awkwardly from where she hovered alongside the zebra. "It's like 'a day in the life of Zecora.' I don't even need 3D glasses. It's all right here in front of me... in its striped spectacularaconica."

"That is quite the interesting declaration," Zecora said with a calm smirk, carrying the Sapphire Silk in one saddlebag and the enchanted alicornia dust in the other. "And ponies say they don't understand my exclamations."

"For real! You do so much for this town of ponies. I thought I appreciated it—but I didn't. Not really. Not until I got a grasp of the time and sacrifice you put into stuff like today."

"Your admiration is certainly flattering, but that doesn't necessarily mean progress is happening." Zecora breathed in deeply through her nose. "The potion is in its experimental stage. Only once it works can we turn a new page."

"Yeah. I guess." Rainbow nodded as the two passed through the town's marketplace in the setting sun. "And then there's that 'risk' you keep warning me about, right?"

Silence.

"Right?" Rainbow still wasn't answered. All of the sudden, her dangling legs bumped into Zecora's flank. She jerked to a stop, squinting ahead of her. A big red mass had blocked the two ponies' paths.

Zecora gulped. "Big Macintosh, what a fortuitous meeting. I take it that you are retiring for the evening?"

"Eeeyup." The large stallion calmly smiled, as he was currently in the process of stacking multiple boxes into his wagon. Half of the day's fruit had been sold. The other half were to be taken back to Sweet Apple Acres.

Zecora adjusted the weight of her saddlebags. "Quite a few apples I see you have sold. I presume today's been profitable, if I may be so bold?"

"Mmmm..." The stallion paused to shrug.

"Well, fortune certainly favors the strong at heart..." Zecora briefly fumbled for words, and then her blue eyes brightened. "Perhaps of your business I could take part!"

Big Mac glanced at her curiously. His green eyes reflected a pair of golden bits. Without saying anything, he grabbed a canvas bag, stuck half-a-dozen apples in it, and tossed it her way.

She easily caught it with a saddlebag, then pivoted back to hoof him the money. "Here—It is only fair for that which you share."

A warm chuckle flaoted through the stallion's mouth. "Nope." Big Macintosh winked, hitched himself to his wagon, then bowed slightly.

Zecora gulped again, then smile. "Your generosity is most sublime. I'll be certain to pay you back another time." As she said this, a rosiness spread warmly between her stripes.

Rainbow Dash blinked. Hovering in place, her eyes darted to Big Mac, back to Zecora, then back to Big Mac.

"Well, a pleasant trip home I wish to you," Zecora said in a breathy tone. "A family that's strong is a family that's true."

"Mmmmm—Eeyup." He smirked, bowed one last time, and trotted away briskly with the wagon.

"Uhh... see ya, Big Mac!" Rainbow Dash waved after him. "Good luck with... erm... being a stallion n'all." She turned back to Zecora. "Well, that was certainly swell of him, wasn't it?"

Silence.

"Zecora?"

The zebra was staring after the stallion. Her body rose, then deflated with a heartfelt sigh.

Rainbow raised an eyebrow so sharp it nearly sliced her own brow. Inhaling, she next coughed into the air of the melting sunset. "KAFFstarspidersilkKAFF."

Zecora jolted in place. "Yes! Most certainly!" She nearly tripped on her own hooves as she twirled about, facing the edge of town. "We must return to my hut hastily!"

"Riiiiiight..." Rainbow Dash gulped. "Uhm, Zecora?"

"Hmmm?" The zebra merely hummed, her muzzle loose with a limp smile as she trotted her way eastward. There was an undeniable spring to her step.

"Uhm... n-never mind..." Rainbow Dash murmured. "After you, girl." She lingered behind, turning to gaze towards Sweet Apple Acres. Scratching her head, she shrugged, then bolted east to catch up with the neighborhood shaman.

PreviousChapters Next