• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,702 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,702

PreviousChapters Next
The Short End of It

“So... uh... you two will be... farming together?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“That is very much the case, indeed,” Zecora said as she trotted gaily through the Everfree Forest. “With every chore, task, and seed.” She turned to smile back at the pegasus. “For what it is worth, we both value tilling the earth. He has the gift of family...” She turned ahead, smiling with her eyes wide shut. “...and I possess the gift of remedy.”

“Well... that... uh... s-sure sounds great, Zecora.”

“Mmmmhmmmm.”

“But, like, does he know that it's about more than just farming?”

“All that needs to be Big Macintosh's concern is that I'm going to assist him with the harvest he's earned.” Zecora bumped into a tree branch, forcing her to open her eyes. Unfazed, the zebra trotted forward, carried by the weight of her smile. “If I can ease his concerns about the farm, then that need be the full extent of my charm.”

“Charm?” Rainbow Dash smirked. “Girl, are you even listening to yourself? You've set up a sweat session, not a candlelight dinner!”

“And you would think that he woud enjoy such a thing? Sincerity and a pair of working hooves are all I've promised to bring.”

“Yes, but—”

“Just being in the same field as him will bring me great joy. And trust me, Rainbow Dash, I know better than to make this thing some trivial ploy.”

“R-right! Of course! Just...” Rainbow Dash fidgeted, rubbing her numb hooves together. “Didja ever once think that—like—despite all the hard work you might do... going out on a limb for him and such... it might... that is... it m-might not...”

“Hmm?” Zecora paused at the door to her hut, blinking back at the pegasus. “It might not what?”

Rainbow Dash gritted her teeth. “I mean... h-he's so soft-spoken. How do you know that he knows... I mean... that he knows that you know that he doesn't know... er....”

Zecora actually giggled. “Rainbow Dash, do not assume that every stallion is clueless.” She smiled. “I'm certain that deep down inside beats the heart of a fiery furnace.”

“Yes, but even still. It might beat for... for...”

Zecora stared up at Rainbow. A smiling muzzle. A warm pair of eyes.

Rainbow gulped and forced a curved pair of lips. “I'm super h-happy for you, Zecora. I guess what I'm trying to say is...” She winced in producing the breath: “I'm also nervous for you.”

“I understand what it means to have one's words frayed and cluttered.” Zecora winked, opened the door, and sashayed in. “And yet, I fear not, for never before has my heart been so a'flutter.”

Rainbow sighed to herself. “A'flutter is right...”

PreviousChapters Next