• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,723 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,723

PreviousChapters Next
Winsome / Lonesome

"Look out, everypony!" Pinkie swallowed a morsel of toast and jam, rubbed her muzzle clean, and galloped forward at full speed. She left the picnic blanket and leapt towards the nearest pond, her body forming a pastel cannonball. "Geronimooo!"

Twilight Sparkle and Applejack waded inside the pond. As they felt the shadow of Pinkie Pie forming over them, they paused in splashing each other and flinched.

Splassssssh!

Pinkie dunked. Then—as the waves settled—she reemerged, spitting rainbow-colored water skyward in a fountain. She giggled—then shrieked as Applejack and Twilight took their revenge on her in bitter cold splashes.

"Pinkie! Honestly!" Rarity frowned. "And so soon after eating?! You'll only regret it!"

"Heeheehee! Oh Rarity—Ah!" Twilight shrieked and giggled as she splashed back at Pinkie. "You know her stomach's handled worse!"

"Come and join us, gals!" Applejack hollered, dunking Pinkie before backstroking across the pond. "Sure, it may be cold, but heck if it ain't refreshin'! Wooo!" Splash!

"Hmmmf!" Trixie bit into crackers with peanut butter spread. She sat beside Rarity, sharing the same umbrella. "Trixie is above such foalish forms of self-expression! It's nice and comfortable here on the picnic blanket!"

"Oh darling. Live a little." Rarity winked, sipping daintily from a teacup. She smiled as her eyes sparkled with the rainbow cloudfalls looming above them. "Life is most exquisite when one savors tranquil moments such as this."

"Trixie doesn't see how that must involve a liberal plunge into bone freezing water."

"Oh, I'm sure it's not that cold." Rarity mused. "Besides..." She innocently swirled her tea before taking another sip. "You and Twilight can keep each other warm."

"Hmmmm..." Trixie's blue muzzle took on a slightly purple hue. "Sparkle certainly does possess insulating fuzz—" She froze in mid-speech, pupils shrinking. Trixie's gaze flashed in Rarity's direction.

Rarity's eyelashes fluttered as she gazed calmly back.

"... ... ..." Trixie munched the last of her crackers then stood up on trembling legs. "Come to think of it... some ice cold water may be just what Trixie needs right now..." And she hobbled off.

"Mmmmm..." Rarity's lips curved as she dabbed her chin with a napkin. "Indeed."

Meters away from the group of water-splattering ponies, Rainbow Dash perched on a plateau, overlooking the scene. She sat quietly, serenely. Then...

"So..." Fluttershy touched down, squatting beside the mare. She cleared her throat. "You're looking... calm."

"Yeah. How does it look on me?" Rainbow droned out the side of her muzzle. "Does it make me look fat?"

"Rainbow, is everything okay?" Fluttershy gulped. "Especially... especially after last night?"

"Hmmm?" Rainbow blinked. "Oh. You mean that whole campfire game thing?"

Fluttershy bit her lip.

Rainbow turned to look at Fluttershy. She smiled.

Fluttershy gulped. "Rainbow, I'm worried about you."

"Don't be," Rainbow softly said.

"Did... did anything happen between you and Applejack?"

Rainbow shook her head. "No," she replied. She gazed at the pond. "And I'm starting to think that... maybe nothing ever will."

Fluttershy's ears folded back. She squirmed, and her voice took on an emotional quiver as she exhaled: "Rainbow, I—"

"Hey..." Rainbow shrugged. "Maybe I'm okay with that." She gulped. "Maybe what I'm here to do in life is... let go... by hanging on."

"Huh?" Fluttershy blinked.

"What I want... what I need... and Applejack for that matter..." Rainbow gestured. "Is right in front of me. All around me." She gazed into the sky with a tranquil breath. "It's right here."

"Rainbow, I... I'm afraid I don't understand," Fluttershy murmured.

"Well, I'm starting to." Rainbow turned towards her. "Just as I think I finally understand now... after all these years... why the prettiest pegasus in all of Cloudsdale only wanted me as a friend."

Fluttershy blinked. Her eyes turned glossy.

Rainbow leaned over and nuzzled the mare. "Shhh... don't fret..." She leaned back with a grin. "It's all cool."

"Rainbow Dash..."

"Hey! AJ!" Rainbow Dash flapped her wings. "Think you're queen of the pond, huh?!"

"What in the hare are you—?!" Applejack looked up, and her pupils shrank. "Awwwwwww Tartarus."

"Rainbow!" Twilight shrieked, hiding behind Pinkie Pie as a petite shadow overcame them. "Noooo—!"

"Cannonballllll!" Rainbow plunged into the drink.

SPLOOOOOOSH!

"Weeeeeee!" Pinkie cheered as she and Twilight went sailing downstream.

"Sparkle!" Trixie hollered, galloping desperately after the pair. "Hold on! Trixie will save you!"

Somewhere, Applejack surfaced, her freckled face full of droplets and guffaws. She and Rainbow Dash engaged in a heated splashing war.

From afar, Fluttershy blinked. She let loose a melancholic sigh before resting her chin on her forelimbs. She bore a soft smirk.

PreviousChapters Next