• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,658 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,658

PreviousChapters Next
Mother to Daughter

"My beloved Princess..." Shindig strolled across the room, pacing past Apple Jewell. "You are one of a kind, a diamond in the rough of this world, born to protect it."

"But... but when was I born?" Apple Jewell twirled about, her gaze following the alicorn's. "Ain't it strange that I dun even know that? Not even the year or month?"

"Your life as you know it begins tomorrow, at your Coronation."

"But Momma, please..." Apple Jewell grimaced, trotting closer to her. "I'm askin' y'all to see it from my perspective! Whenever I think hard about the past... like really hard, all I get is a blank! Now I want to bring glory to this here world just as much as you want me to, but how can I be expected to do that when I dun have much of a foundation to stand on?"

"Don't be ridiculous, my child." Shindig chuckled airily, turning to smile at her. "You're more than capable of being that which is required of the Cider Princess."

"Why? Just because you've given me yer blessin'?" Apple Jewell gulped. "Momma, what if ya can't protect me forever? What if Philanthropy dun accept me?"

"It won't ever come to that..."

"What if... what if nopony believes in me like you and my brothers do?" Apple Jewell's muzzle quivered. "I... I know that yer my family, but... but..."

"But what, darling?" Shindig turned towards her. "What is it?"

The Cider Princess hesitated.

"You can tell me, dear. Do not be afraid."

The mare shuddered, careful not to upset her ornate mane as the trembles increased through her frame. "Well... it's just that... I-I don't rightly feel like we're family." She immediately winced. "And I-I know that that's a terrible thang to say! But... but all that I ever do is sit and look pretty and make you and Felix and Frederick fuss over me. I feel like... like I should be the one doin' thangs... that there's much more in store for me."

"Well of course, dearie, tomorrow—"

"And I dun just mean the Coronation! I mean... I mean..." Apple Jewell hugged herself through her robe, sighing. "I mean in the very fabric of who and what I am. I... I dun feel right." She bit her lip, gazing the Queen's way. "...do you even know where I came from?"

"Just why would I ever wonder over such a thing?"

Apple Jewell's eyes narrowed. "Do you know what ever happened to Papa?"

Shindig opened her mouth, but froze in place. She blinked steadily ahead of herself.

"Do... I even have a Papa?" Apple Jewell asked. "Is he the same stallion who you had Felix and Frederick with?"

Shindig's breaths shook with heartfelt palpitations. She stumbled back, her expression paling ashe held a hoof over her chest.

Apple Jewell looked worried. "Momma?"

Shindig briefly stumbled. She had to reach a hoof out and steady herself against the vanity. Apple Jewell rushed over, but the Queen made her stop in place with a quiet whisper.

Apple Jewell gazed at her nervously.

At last, Shindig took a deep breath and composed herself. She gazed lovingly at Apple Jewell, her expression turning back to a gentle smile. "We will... discuss this futher after the Coronation."

"But Momma—"

"We will be in a better place to reason things over," the Queen said. "Both of us."

Apple Jewell eventually bowed her head. "Yes, Momma."

Shindig trotted over, caressed Apple Jewell's chin, and kissed her forehead. "I love you, my little Cider Princess, no matter what."

The mare sniffled, smiling sweetly as she closed her eyes. "I love you too, Momma."

"Sleep well. Be well." Shindig backtrotted out of the room. "You are my pride and joy."

Apple Jewell waved back.

At last, Shindig exited into the hallway, closing the door behind her. As soon as she did so, the alicorn nearly collapsed. She slumped against a wall, heaving and whimpering quietly. She held a hoof over her eyes, fighting the tears back. Then, after much anguish and strain, she gazed ahead into dimly-lit space.

"Philanthropy..."

She gnashed her teeth.

"When... when did you leave me?"

She leaned back, wobbled, and finally stood up straight.

"Why did you leave me?"

The mare turned and gave the door to the bedroom a forlorn look.

"Our daughter... she is our daughter... isn't she?"

The silence was deafening. Shindig found herself encumbered with shivers. Nevertheless, she trotted forward, occasionally pausing to rub her head with sullen sighs.

PreviousChapters Next