• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,719 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,719

PreviousChapters Next
Bedchambering

"We wish you a good night's sleep, your Majesty," said one of the many servants. Standing at the end of the Cider Princess' chamber, the multiple hoofmaidens curtsied as one, then smiled collectively at their ruler-to-be. "May the fortune of Philanthropy shine on you like the moon through your sleep."

"That is... mighty poetic," Apple Jewell remarked. She sat on the edge of her bed, clad in a silk nightgown. She almost raised a hoof up to fuss with her extraordinarily well-kempt mane, but stopped at her second with a nervous titter. Clearing her throat, she bowed her head slightly and said, "Y'all did good. I'll be sure to rely on yer expert graces once I have gotten coronated."

The servant smiled. They turned to leave. Amongst them, a little filly with a yellow coat avoided the Princess' gaze. She twirled towards the exit and shuffled off.

Apple Jewell's lips pursed. She gritted her teeth, then finally blurted, "Wait."

Every servant haulted in place. They turned to look at the Cider Princess. "Your Majesty?"

Adjusting her robe, Apple Jewell stood up. She sauntered forward a few steps. "You..." She pointed at the filly.

The tiny foal's amber eyes blinked, and she pointed at herself.

"Mmmhmmm." Apple Jewell slowly nodded. "Stay for just a moment." Her gaze drifted up. "The rest of y'all, you may leave."

The servants stood in place for a few confused seconds. Nevertheless, they curtsied, then shuffled off. The filly was left alone, trembling noticeably.

"Olivia... Steamstep, was it?" Apple Jewell asked, trotting closer.

"Yes'm, Your Majesty." The filly squirmed, her yellow cheeks turning red. "Have... h-have I done something amiss?"

"No. Not at all, darlin'."

"If... if you d-don't like the hairclips, then I'm certain I-I can have the older servants fetch more!" the child stammered. "Oh, I'm so sorry! This next morning is so important to you! I-I didn't mean to ruin it—"

"Shhhh..." Apple Jewell squatted before the filly, placing a graceful hoof on her shoulder. "Nothin' of the sort, sugarcube." The Cider Princess smiled. "As a matter fact, I'm mighty touched at yer kindness and humility. Just hold are ya, darlin'?"

"Erm..." The foal bit her lip. "I dun rightly know, Yer Majesty."

Apple Jewell raised an eyebrow. "What a quaint accent! Are you from the lower streets?"

"I... I-I reckon I never knew my parents, Yer Majesty," the foal said, her eloquent facade fading more and more. "But from what the foster homes have got written down, I hail from the lower ends of Philanthropy, so yer quite right."

"Well, ain't nothin' to be ashamed of," Apple Jewell said. "You came out alright, and I think yer accent is downright sweet-like."

"With all due respect, Yer Majesty, why?"

"Hmmm?"

"Why do you think it's sweet-like?"

"Well..." Apple Jewell stifled an elegant giggle. "Cuz we sound so much alike. Almost like we're sisters."

The filly's amber eyes twitched. "I... I-I'm sorry, Yer Highness. I'm afraid I dun hear it."

Apple Jewell opened her mouth, but lingered. "... ... ... y'all really dun, do ya?"

The foal shook her head slowly.

Apple Jewell took a deep breath. "Somethin'... just ain't right 'bout all of this. It's all so... sweet and familiar, and yet... yet..."

"Are you feelin' alright, Yer Majesty?" The filly leaned forward. "Want me to go fetch a doctor or somethin'?"

The Cider Princess slowly shook her head. "No'm. That won't be necessary. I just..." She lingered, gradually smiling with warm freckles "I just feel like somethin' gorgeous is comin'. Like a gentle... warm breeze on an open farm. Ya reckon?"

"I..." The filly grimaced slightly, looking worried. "I-I've never been on a farm, Yer Majesty."

"But..." Apple Jewell opened her mouth, but fumbled. At last, she smiled and shrugged. "It dun matter. But... but know this..." After a deep gulp, she leaned in and wrapped her arms around the filly.

The foal gasped, freezing in place. Eventually, she relaxed in the mare's soft, sisterly embrace.

"One way or another... I promise... I'm gonna protect you," Apple Jewell whispered, the ends of her ears twitching. "And every little thang like you. I... I feel like it's what I'm meant to do. I know it..."

The filly didn't know what to say. Her eyes wandered across the room. Just as she was about to shut her eyes, she spotted a shape in the doorway, and she gasped sharply.

"...!!!" Without a second thought, Apple Jewell hopped up and stood between the doorframe and the foal. Her muzzle hung open "...Momma!"

Queen Shindig stood before the entrance to the room. For a few seconds, her muzzle hung in a dull deadpan. Then, she smiled gently. "Careful, my little pony, or else you might ruin your forthcoming beauty sleep."

"My Queen!" The filly squeaked. She danced in place, near hyperventilating. "I... I-I didn't mean to mess up Her Majesty's mane! I... I-I was simply answering her questions—"

"At ease, little one," Shindig said, waving a hoof. "You're dismissed. Sleep well, so that you may too witness the glory of the Coronation tomorrow."

"Oh... Oh, yes! Thank y'all most kindly—I-I mean..." The filly cleared her throat, backing out of the room and bowing. "I am most exceedingly grateful to you, Your Majesty. I shall relish tomorrow morning with great joy." Then, with a relieved breath, she galloped down the long hallway.

Serenity Shindig used her horn's magic to close the door after her. She took a deep breath. "My beloved daughter..." Her eyes darted sharply in Apple Jewell's direction. "...why aren't you in bed?"

"I... I'm sorry, Mother, but I... I was just wonderin'..."

"The sharpness of your mind will get much exercise in the days and weeks to come." Shindig closed the distance between them, stretching a wing out to the robed young mare. "Now, you truly must be sleeping—"

"Why do I have an accent, Momma?" Apple Jewell asked.

Shindig froze in place.

Apple Jewell bit her lip. "Reckon I should sound more eloquent-like for bein' who and what I am... y'all think?"

Shindig blinked. "Oh..." She smiled warmly. "...is that all?"

PreviousChapters Next