• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,704 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,704

PreviousChapters Next
They Followed That Dream With Hooves and Heart

The large screen in front of the two ponies flickered to a large council building where several rows of seated alicorns gazed down upon a small gathering of mortal equines. Starswirl levitated a scroll, smiled, and pontificated to the observing crowd.

"Because of the synergy that has been established between immortals and the unicorns of the physical realm, they had established magic spells of unprecedented power! The minds of alicorns were wise, placid, and tranquil, but in many cases they lacked the sheer ambition of mortal beings. This is why unicorns like Starswirl were capable of stepping up to the plate with grandiose ideas that sparked the imagination of alicorn-kind!"

The enormous screen switched to an arcane foundry where giant bands of glimmering crystal spun in an elaborate centrifuge. Their jagged arms shot beams of purple and pink energy into the center of the magical core. There, a black substance materialized into being, engineered by the pure transfer of energy into matter.

"Following Starswirl's lead, the alicorns built a machine that could craft physical structures out of pure thought. This led to the birth of obsidian stardust, a malleable substance constructed out of the fabric of alicorn dreamscape. However, without an anchor to the mortal world, the stardust couldn't take form."

Squinting into the billowing core of the machine, Starswirl approached the onyx cloud. His horn glowed as he came closer and closer. Then, gritting his teeth, he reached a hoof in. The light consumed him as the young stallion opened his mouth in a silent scream.

"Alas, before the alicorns could stop him, Starswirl committed the ultimate sacrifice, donating his own essence to the stardust so that it would remain in a corporeal form. Thus, it ended up taking on the form of the last thought that crossed the brilliant mortal's mind."

With a loud rattle, a black goblet landed in the center of the foundry, its dark lid mounted with tiny alicorn effigies.

"Thus, the Alicorn Amulet was finally crafted into being! It was the essence of gods, and a monument to Starswirl's fearless ingenuity all the same!"

"Wait..." Rainbow Dash leaned back in her ride's seat, grimacing. "Starswirl... disappeared?"

"Yup!" Epcot grinned proudly, slapping a hoof over her nametag. "Gets you right here, don't it? Heehee!" She cooed dreamily, purple eyes sparkling. "And what a handsome devil, too..."

"But... he came back!" Rainbow exclaimed, smirking briefly. "He totally reappeared! Like... thousands of years ago! In Equestria!" She tugged at the end of her mane and held it right under her blue chin. "And he grew a pretty wicked beard, too."

"Heehee!" Epcot patted the pegasus' head. "Silly mortal! How could Starswirl have reappeared in Equestria without an anchor?"

Rainbow stared at her with dull eyes. "Just as likely as a mortal is to enter Cider Space?"

"Hmmmm..." Epcot tapped her chin. "Well, you are adoracute. Maybe the alicorn spirit made an exception."

"Buh?"

"Oh hey!" Epcot turned and gestured towards the ride as it abandoned the screenfor the facsimile of an alicorn palace full of regal figures. "Look! It's the life of tomorrow—today!"

"You mean this is where the alicorns figure out what to do with the Chalice?"

"Heehee! By Figment, you're right!"

Rainbow exhaled, folding her forelimbs. "About friggin' time..." She blinked as the ride glided slowly along. "Hey. Glowy lights. Cool."

Author's Note:

Courtesy of Ponky, Circa Summer 2012

PreviousChapters Next