• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,724 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,724

PreviousChapters Next
The Garden

Rainbow Dash had spent the better part of four years living in Ponyville... which is why she was curiously surprised to find a spot that she had never truly seen before. If anything, she must have flown swiftly over it, never bothering to stop and see how remarkable it felt from the ground level.

It was a park—or a mediocre attempt at one, really. Three quadratic layers of hedges enveloped one another—breaking halfway between the cardinal corners. Within the centermost layer, there was a lavender garden. Nestled amidst the flowers was an antique metal sundial, rusted with time—but not neglect.

For being such a tiny, unseemly spot—it was very well maintained. All of the weeds had been plucked and the flower petals were in full bloom. Rainbow could only guess that it was a monument to somepony... or perhaps a grave belonging to an old official fron Ponyvillean days gone by. Whatever the case, there was no plaque or sign to commemorate anything. Just a whole lot of emptiness segmented by geometric beauty—and all perfumed with a blissful natural fragrance. The northeast end of the "garden" sported a wooden lattice archway, overgrown with thorns and flowers. If Rainbow Dash was anypony but herself, she might have been moved to giggles.

Instead, she dropped her saddlebags like twin anvils and slumped down on a bench. The seat was old—its wooden planks warped by time and moisture. But she was too light to fear it breaking. Sighing, she sat there, baked in the sun... serenaded by bees as they pollinated the lavender flowers on either side of her.

Rainbow Dash gazed down at the floor... at the soft earth and cobblestone pathing beyond her dangling, useless limbs. It was cool and comforting—but the shadows allowed the tears to bud. So, sucking her breath in, she gazed skyward. The sun was bright, punishing... and it kept her eyes dry. But Rainbow couldn't deal with the pain for long. She clenched her lids shut, flooding her mind with a veiny redness that crept through her... filled her... reminded her with every bloodpulse that she was hopelessly, unavoidably alive.

She was the fastest mare in all of Equestria... and still she hadn't managed to go anywhere.

Rainbow Dash shuddered. Her soul—she imagined—would have been a lot easier to carry with her if she could only find it... instead of searching for the remnants scattered randomly across her past and future like freckles against a sun-bleached coat. It was difficult to move beyond something so beautiful... somepony so mesmerizing and inspiring... that the rest of the skies paled in comparison. Perhaps Noir could have found her work on a distant moon in some far off dimension of impenetrable darkness. Even then—Rainbow new—the golden brilliance of her smile would illuminate her every muscle, no matter how far she scurried.

Rainbow Dash was so busy with being distracted that she didn't realize that something else was trying to distract her. Her ears twitched, and she noticed that she was hearing voices... cheering voices... barking voices... boasting voices.

Over the nearby hill—due north of the quaint little garden and its sundial—Rainbow Dash sensed movement. There was a large group assembled not too far away. It was there—Rainbow knew—that the Ponyville fairground resided... although she couldn't remember the last time that a fair ever too place in that village.

Nevertheless, something was going on, and it suddenly explained the dormant streets that she had wandered through before.

It was boredom—perhaps—that eventually pushed her off that bench. With a sigh, she strapped the heavy saddlebags back onto her person and shuffled limply in the direction of the commotion.

PreviousChapters Next