• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,723 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,723

PreviousChapters Next
From Tower to Tower

"Places! Places, everypony! Okay!" Epcot grinned brightly, raising her two hooves in front of her like a conductor. "Just like I taught you! Now... repeat after me..." She inhaled deeply, then sang, "Imaaaaaaaaaaaaaginationnnnnnnnnn. Imaaaaaaaaaaginationnnnnnnnnn...."

Mulia, Gustave, and Donut Joe sat side by side in the center of the hollow clock tower. Rather lethargically, they chimed in: "A dream can be a dream come truuuuuuue. With just that spark—in me and youuuuu."

"Heeeheeee!" Epcot shimmied in place, skirts flouncing. "You did it! You did it! Now, was that so hard?"

"Mrrrffgh..." Donut Joe facehoofed, blinking blearily. "Somepony kill me now."

"Beats being stuck in a cage, no?" Gustave remarked.

Mulia raised her hoof. "Uhm... Miss Epcot? Could we try that 'Vistas de Mexicolt' song that you taught us instead?"

Epcot's eyes briefly flickered like red hot coals. "My little mule, nopony sings 'Vistas de Mexicolt' anymore. Nopony."

Mulia's ears drooped back as she hung her head. "S-sorry..."

"Heeheehee!" Epcot reached forward and patted her skull. "It's okay! It's not your fault you were born mortal!" She twirled about with a smile. "Mr. Leaves? Would you like to join in? You can sing all of Dreamfinder's lines!"

"Not right now..." Stu Leaves leaned against his dormant armor, staring out through the refracting translucent walls of the tower. "I think something's flying this way."

"Oh?" Mulia craned her neck to see. "Is it Rainbow Dash?"

"Nah, I don't think so," Stu said, shaking her head. "I've never known her to look so... poofy."

"Buh?" Donut Joe blinked.

"Er... wait a second..." Stu Leaves stood up straight. Pretty soon, he flinched and dove towards the side. "Look out—!"

FWOOOSH! Rainbow Dash and Apple Jewell came sailing into the tower, nearly clipping the heads of the four ponies and chaperone.

"Eeeeeeeeeeep!" Apple Jewell shrieked before the two collapsed against the floor and rolled to an awkward stop. "Guh! Applesauce!"

"Aaaaaaaaaaieee!" Mulia kicked her hooves, eyes clenched shut. "We're under attack! I knew it! It's back to the cave and moldy oats forever!"

"Shhhhhhh!" Gustave covered her muzzle with a talon. "Calm yourself, Mademoiselle! It is simply Rainbow Dash!" He turned towards the scene with a beaked smile. "With a certain prize, I might add."

"Whoah, for real?!" Donut Joe stepped up, grinning. "You got her?!"

"Apple... Applejack...?!" Stu Leaves trotted up, muzzle agape. "AJ, is that you?" He reached a hoof out.

"Mrmmff..." Apple Jewell swam her way out of her collapsed skirts. She reached out blindly, taking Stu's hoof. As he helped her up, she looked into his eyes, blinking.

Stu Leaves blinked back. "Applejack, you're... you're..."

The Cider Princess stood in dead silence. She blushed, then backed away from Stu before curtseying. "On behalf of Queen Serenity, I greet you, noble vagabonds."

"Erm..." Donut Joe shifted nervously. "Why do I not like the sound of that?"

"Rainbow Dash?!" Stu gulped and nervously throated, "What the buck, girl...?!"

"Gnnghhh..." Rainbow Dash finally stood up, folding back her artificial wings. "I'm just as confused as you are, Stu."

"You grabbed the wrong AJ!" Stu exclaimed.

"Huh? What?!" Rainbow frowned. "No I didn't!"

"Then why's she dressed like that and acting this way?!"

"Duh! Cuz she's the Cider Princess, ya pigeon huffer!"

"Rainbow Dash, we're stuck in a giant dream world run by Shindig's... mfmfg—brain power!" Stu pointed at the regal mare. "How do we know this isn't just another projection?! And you brought it right here?!"

"Stu, believe it or not, this is the real deal."

"But how do you know—?"

"Because I just do, okay?!" Rainbow snapped.

Stu winced, reeling back.

Rainbow took a deep breath. "It's just that... that..." She sighed. "The real deal is really screwed up... in the head, I mean. Shindig's... done something to her. Really bad."

"That... that's horrible..." Stu Leaves grimaced. He gazed at Apple Jewell with moist eyes. "Applejack, if you're in there somewhere..." He gulped. "Please... hold on. We're going to get you out. Your friends are here, and we'll get you home!"

Apple Jewell straightened her tiara. "But I am home, good sir. Or—at least—a few windy blocks from it." She pivoted about, staring at the undulating translucent walls. "What an intriguing domain. No doubt some magnificent Blue Jay witchraft."

"Do we really have to wait on her to get her senses straight?" Donut Joe muttered. "I mean, there are plenty of Equestrian psychiatrists who can do a number on all of us. So can we just awake already?!"

"You shut your Donut Hole... er... D-donut." Rainbow nevertheless shrugged her shoulders with a frown. "There's only one way out of here, and it's with all of us in our original shape. Epcot?"

"Hmmmmm..." The Chaperone trotted tightly around the elegant mare. "She's certainly got a dense shell of psionic constructs all around her."

"Ah jeez..." Stu blanched. "We're never going to free her, are we?!"

Epcot giggled. "I was talking about the frilly skirt, silly!" She nevertheless turned to scrutinize Apple Jewell again. "But, I'm sensing something quite... unique about her."

"It is Applejack, though?" Mulia Mild spoke up. "Rainbow and Mr. Leaves' friend?"

"Oh! Most definitely!" Epcot said with a grin. "But it would seem as though Shindig has constructed a very specific sim just for her."

"Right," Rainbow Dash said with a nod. "And all of her close friends and family appear all across it—"

"No no, I do not mean the epic artifice that is Philanthropy," Epcot said. She reached a hoof up and tapped the princess' skull. "I mean the dream that has been placed here... ensnaring your honest and dependable friend like a cocoon!"

"Wait wait wait..." Stu Leaves held his hooves out. "...you mean to say that she's wearing more than a princess gown?" His eyes narrowed. "She's wearing a dream?"

"Mmmmm... it would appear so." Epcot nodded. "Some ancient alicorns hid themselves in pocket dreams-within-dreams in order to enjoy solitude from the rest of the constructs and their inhabitants. It would appear as though—in a very short span of time—Shindig has learned to master the same thing, only she's chosen to utilize this gift as fetters for another dreamer." She shook her head. "Tsk tsk... what a shame."

"Okay..." Rainbow Dash took a shuddering breath. "So, Epcot, how do we... y'know... doubly wake AJ?"

"Hmmmmm..."

"Epcot?" Stu murmured.

The chaperone fidgeted. "That's just the thing. I'm not even sure we can..."

PreviousChapters Next