• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,721 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,721

PreviousChapters Next
Circles and Circles

"So, basically, I'm trying to piece together where exactly my heart is right now, Flutters."

Rainbow Dash paced back and forth across the wooden floorboards of the rustic cottage. Her tail flicked in the morning sunlight pouring in through the front window.

"I mean. It's not like anything's changed anything, really."

She scuffled to a stop, staring straight ahead.

"I love Applejack." Rainbow blinked. A goofy smile spread across her muzzle and her wingtips fluttered. "I love Applejack."

A sigh. And then—

"But I'm at the point where I'm starting to wonder if it's just enough that I love her, y'know?" She resumed pacing. "She's majestic. She always has been and always will be. I've... done some pretty snazzy things to help her out—whether or not she knows it. But what matters is that I know it. Who am I to ask for more? Applejack isn't into mares. She's not into romance. She's not into anything except working hard and being a good friend. And..."

Rainbow Dash shuffled to a stop. She bit the edge of her lip.

"... ... ...if the best I can be for Applejack is a friend, then... then I guess that's what I'm going to have to be." Rainbow exhaled slowly out her nose. "Even though... I will always love her. Deep inside. So long as I'm... doing what's best for her..." She bore a bittersweet smile. "Then I'm playing my part, and I'm making her life better just as she's making my life better by being who she is."

Silence.

"Grnnngh... I dunno, Flutters." Rainbow twirled about. "Tell me straight: am I just being a self-deprecating sap?" She groaned. "As usual...?"

Fluttershy was staring out the window, past the animals frolicking across her front lawn. A dumb smile lingered on her muzzle.

Rainbow blinked. "Uhhh... Flutters?"

Fluttershy kept staring. Smiling.

"Ahem. Earth to Fluttershy!"

"Hmmm?" Fluttershy turned towards Rainbow Dash, blinking. "Oh, uhm... yes! You love Applejack and..." She fidgeted slightly. "Awesome stuff."

"You're in a completely different world, Fluttershy," Rainbow said, smirking. "Maybe I caught you and your thoughts at a bad time."

"Oh. I'm so sorry, Rainbow Dash," Fluttershy murmured. "I..." She sighed, staring out the window again with a pleasant grin. "I suppose I can't help it."

Rainbow looked at her. On quiet hooves, she shuffled over, then squatted by the delicate equine's side. "So... uh... lemme guess: all red on the big front?"

Fluttershy blushed instantly. "Rainbow Dash..."

"Your secret's good with me, Flutters," the mare said. "After all, mine are good with you."

Fluttershy brushed her bangs back and murmured, "I... I-I don't wish to change the subject. You're pouring your heart out, Rainbow—"

"Wouldn't be the first time, girl."

Fluttershy rolled her eyes. She said, "Things are good. They're better than good. And... erm... I-I honestly never thought I'd be this happy."

"For realsies?"

"Mmmhmmm." Fluttershy nodded. "You came into my life, Rainbow Dash, and you showed me how wonderful it could be to have a friend. Twilight showed up and helped me learn to be confident and assertive. And now, with Big Macintosh..." She squeezed her front limbs together, her dimples turning rosy. "...I feel a new... different kind of happiness."

"Yeah, I bet you do."

"Rainbow!"

"Hah hah hah!"

Fluttershy pouted. "I'm serious! And think what you want, but Big Mac and I are far more innocent than that!" Silence. She turned red as a beet. "...mostly."

"I'm not gonna pry, girl," Rainbow said. "Whatever's between the two of you should remain that way."

"Th-thank you, Rainbow Dash."

"Just so long as it doesn't go through you."

"Mmfffghh... Rainbow..."

"Heeheeheee..." Rainbow nevertheless sighed, her smile tired and contemplative. "Maybe I can settle for half."

"Half of what?"

"Of what you've got, Fluttershy," Rainbow said. "Every time I've ever actually been in a relationship, it's gone south—mostly cuz of my idioacy. Perhaps it's for the best that I only get halfway there... that I just ponder and dream, but never dive in. Applejack's the best kind of pony to obsess over... cuz she's impossible in every awesome way."

Fluttershy's muzzle scrunched. "You're... not giving yourself enough credit, Rainbow."

"Nah. Just the right amount of it."

Fluttershy rested a hoof on the mare's shoulder. "You'll feel something much like I'm feeling, Rainbow. In fact, knowing you and your deep attachment to emotions, I'm certain you'll feel something far greater than what I'm going through."

"Yeah, but just not with Applejack, you mean."

"I... I-I didn't say that."

"But it's the smart thing to say," Rainbow muttered. "The only thing to say."

Fluttershy's muzzle lingered. She clenched her jaw. Then, leaning over, she hugged Rainbow gently. "You may not have been in a place to believe it lately... you've maybe lost sight of it long ago... but deep down inside, you are a pony who wins... a pony who isn't afraid of anything. It was that fearlessness that amazed me about you to begin with, and it's still there. Just... it's not alone." Fluttershy leaned back, smiling delicately. "It's got a tender... beautiful... sensitive side. And I love both halves of you. And I've no doubt that Applejack would love both just the same."

"Yeah..." Rainbow shuddered. "Just the same."

"Oh Rainbow..." Fluttershy shook her head. "No matter what happens in this life, who feels for what or who pines for who, you must remember to not punish yourself. You deserve better."

"Even... if 'better' means not Applejack?"

Fluttershy squirmed where she stood. "Better once meant... 'not Fluttershy.' Yes?"

Rainbow gazed into blank space.

"I... I'm sorry..." Fluttershy stifled a whimper. "I'm no help at all. And here I was prattling off about—"

"No, Fluttershy, it's okay." Rainbow squeezed her shoulder. "There... really is no helping it, in the end."

"Rainbow, please—"

"I didn't mean to be such a downer," Rainbow said. "I guess, all in all, I'm just flying the same old circles." He smirked at her. "At least one of us is on the up and up, huh?" She winked. "Way to go, girl."

"Uhm..." Fluttershy's cheeks turned rosy once again. "I don't suppose you'll... uh... be downtown roundabouts this afternoon?"

"What, you mean Main Street Ponyville?"

"Mmmhmmm."

"Er... sure, I guess. Why?"

"Oh... eheheh..." Fluttershy hid her face behind a pink lock of hair. "No reason!"

PreviousChapters Next