• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,724 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,724

PreviousChapters Next
Slice of Dash

“I've got to say, Rainbow Dash, it's so nice having you around for company!” Twilight said as she trotted gaily across the library with a floating bunch of books. “I mean... heehee... I'm surprised you've stuck around for as long as you have! Erm... pl-pleasantly surprised, of course. All we're doing today is rearranging the Paleo Equestrian History section!”

“Hey, it's no problem, trust me,” Rainbow said with a smile. She grabbed a stack of books from Spike and hovered up to an empty shelf, laying them side by side as they were given to her. “I'm just sorry I haven't been lending a hoof much lately.”

“It's quite alright, Rainbow!” Twilight said. “We all know you've been... erm... busy lately.”

“Snrkkk...” Spike suddenly snickered, his cheeks turning red as he fought the urge to outright cackle.

Rainbow squinted down. “What's so friggin' hilarious?”

“Nothing! Just, you've been realllllly busy lately!” Spike said. “Getting down to business, I bet—”

Whap! An encyclopedia ricocheted off his head. “Spiiiiike...” Twilight hissed. “We talked about this!

Rainbow blinked. “Talked about what?”

“Oh... uhm...” Twilight looked up with a nervous smile. “Nothing!”

“Uh huh...” Rainbow dipped down, picked up another stack of books, and carried the heavy tomes to another shelf. “If I didn't know better, I'd say you were distracted.”

“Well, I could say the same about you!” Twilight said while Spike waddled off, rubbing his head. “If you don't mind my saying so, Rainbow Dash, but you look kind of exhausted.”

“Hmmmf... yeah, well...” Rainbow Dash finished piling on the last layer of books. She winced, flexing her forelimbs. “I-I've had a pretty clutter itinerary as of late.”

“Would you like some help with that?”

“Huh?”

“Not to brag, I'm pretty good at making organized schedules,” Twilight said with a slight blush. “I know you like to live fast and think later, but perhaps if you gave me a list of the things you have to tackle throughout the week, I can help you simplify the order in which you do them!”

“That's pretty swell of you to offer, Twilight, but I think I'm going to have to pass.”

“Why?” Twilight smiled. “I promise you, it'll be simple!”

“It's just that... the stuff I'm doing is for me and me alone. As a friend, I'm sure you can understand.”

“But of course, Rainbow Dash,” Twilight said sweetly. “Even still, the offer stands.”

“Sounds like somepony's got something to hide,” Spike said with a snicker.

Twilight hissed across the library at him.

Rainbow blinked. “Is... there something I'm supposed to know about?”

“What?” Twilight glared at Spike with folded ears. “That my number one assistant is a number one numbskull?”

“I can't help but feel like everypony's been acting weird since I came back from—uhhhh—my latest delivery.” Rainbow gulped. “Pinkie Pie seemed extra-extra bouncy around me. And th-then Applejack seemed a little bit off. I can't quite put my hoof on it. I mean, she seemed happy and—”

“Really?” Twilight blinked.

Rainbow stared down at her from where she hovered. “Is that a surprise to you?”

“Oh! Uhm... it's just that...” Twilight rubbed her scalp. “I-I heard that she was feeling a bit down lately. Honestly, I was going to go and visit her tomorrow, but now that you tell me that she's doing well—”

There was a loud knock at the door.

“Spike? Could you get that?”

“Already there.” Spike swung the door open. “Oh, hey, Pinkie Pie!”

“Cupcakes! Cupcakes!” Pinkie bounced—and so did the tell-tale tray on her blank. “I've got cupcakes!”

“Just what the doctor ordered!” Twilight smiled. “Come on in, Pinkie Pie! Lay them on the table there.”

“You mean the only spot in this whole room that isn't slathered all over in books?” Pinkie giggle-snorted.

“Pinkie...” Twilight rolled her eyes. “We're not slathering books. We're carefully compartmentalizing them into groups based on historical category before lifting them back onto the shelves in order to more properly—”

“Hey, while you're slathering your library with books, what frosting would you like to slather your face with?!”

Twilight sighed long and hard. “The blue frosting.” Pinkie slid the cupcake in question over. “Thank you.”

“Welcome welcome!” Pinkie turned towards Rainbow Dash. “What kind of frosting do you want, Dashie?”

“Actually, I-I'm not really all that hungry right now, Pinkie.” Rainbow patted her stomach with a soft smile. “Thanks anyway.”

“Hey! No problem!” Pinkie winked. “And don't feel bad! After all, if I was being treated to so many lavish dinners in a row, I'd be full too!”

“Buh...?”

“I don't care how many times I twirled in his arms on the dance floor!”

“Pinkie! Shussssh!” Twilight hissed.

Pinkie smiled and blushed, ears folded. “Uhhhh... whoops?”

Rainbow gawked at the pair.

“Ooh boy,” Twilight gulped.

“Suuuuuure...” Spike waddled past them, rolling his eyes. “Pinkie messes up... and do you hit her with an encyclopedia? Nooooooo...”

“Uh... guys?” Rainbow Dash hovered lower. “Just what's going on around here?”

“We... uh...” Twilight fidgeted, fighting a girlish grin. “We pr-promised each other not to make a big show out of it, especially around you—”

“But knowing what we know, it's really hard to not let others know that we know what we know and we know it!” Pinkie beamed. “Y'know?!”

“Know what?!” Rainbow's voice cracked.

“Welllll?!” Pinkie hopped in place. “Aren't you gonna tell us his name?! Huh?! Huh?! Huh?!”

“To be perfectly honest...” Twilight rubbed a hoof across the floor, smiling bashfully. “I-I've been tempted to ask you all day, Rainbow.” She looked up with sparkling eyes. “You have to tell us.”

“Tell you what?! Who are we talking about?!”

“Your new extra super special someponyyyyy!” Pinkie sang. “Your coltfriend!”

“My... m-my coltfriend?!” Rainbow blinked... then blinked again. Her teeth grinded together, producing sparks. “Rarity...

PreviousChapters Next