• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,706 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,706

PreviousChapters Next
Preciprecious

"The worst part is that, when I look at it... like really look at it... I can't bring myself to hate Stu Leaves for who he is," Rainbow Dash said. Her trembles had long stopped. Her tears had long dried. She reclined on Fluttershy's reading seat, gazing at the setting sun beyond the cottage window. "Even when he screwed up big time and tried to dump Applejack, I can... kinda understand why he did it." She gulped. "He didn't believe in himself. He was scared. We've all been there." She sighed, staring down at her forelimbs. "Even the... most awesome of us."

Fluttershy nodded, listening calmly from where she sat on the floor beside the couch. "And thanks to you, he was able to cross that frightening divide. It's... like you purged the last layer of cowardice from him."

"Yeah..." Rainbow Dash nodded. "I know that he loves Applejack. Like... really really loves Applejack. It means a lot to him... Goddess knows it means a lot t-to me." She gulped. "I could see myself doing something stupid if there was a chance in me bucking all of that up... for life."

Fluttershy shrugged with a tiny smile. "Who says that they'll be together for life?"

"I don't think AJ's the kind of mare to... half-ass a relationship, Flutters."

The other pegasus nodded, sighing. "Good point."

Rainbow stared at the window. Her ears drooped. "Stu won't... won't ever try and hurt Applejack again. I... really believe that. I really, really do."

"Is there a reason why you shouldn't?"

"No... but I can already feel myself wanting to find a reason." Rainbow clenched her jaws tight. "But to what extent?" She closed her eyes. "It's... it's just so... so hard to let go." She cleared her throat. "I'm not sure how to even begin," she muttered in a dry breath.

Fluttershy blinked. Her eyes swept the floor. At last, she looked up at her friend again. "You should go somewhere, Rainbow Dash."

Rainbow said nothing.

"Take a vacation. Volunteer for a long-distance delivery. Have an adventure." Fluttershy smiled tenderly. "You're good at those."

"Yeah, but..." Rainbow's eyes reopened weakly. "...I've had adventures, Fluttershy. I've had butt-loads of them." She gulped. "They never help me forget Applejack. Not one bit. No matter how friggin' crazy they've gotten."

Fluttershy said, "Don't think of it as forgetting Applejack."

Rainbow looked at her.

"Think of it as finding yourself," Fluttershy said. "Go someplace where you won't be 'Rainbow Dash the pegasus who pines for Applejack.' Go somewhere and be 'Rainbow Dash the pegasus who knows how to be awesome.'"

"I've been obsessed for so long that I'm starting to wonder if I've forgotten."

"Then what you need is some alone time to think," Fluttershy said. "Perhaps so you can remember."

Rainbow Dash gazed out the window once more. The sky's pale hues matched her jaded eyes. "But where would I even go, Fluttershy?" She sighed. "What would I even do?"

Silence.

"What... would I have to do...?"

PreviousChapters Next