• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,721 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,721

PreviousChapters Next
The Letter to End All Letters, Four

"Ain't that smell wonderful?"

Applejack tilted her head up, nostrils flaring. A warm Fillyda breeze blew at her golden bangs. She reached a hoof up to adjust her hat and resumed trotting down the dirt highway, pulling the wagon full of cider crates behind her.

"So many flowers down here in these sub-tropical parts," she said with a freckled smirk. "Celestia help me. If I had allergies, I dun know what I'd do. And to think there are ponies in this world who are allergic to apples. Heh! Can y'all even imagine such a thang?"

She turned her head aside, her emerald eyes reflecting a fuzzy blue face.

"Reckon I'm a lucky mare, Rainbow," she said. Then, with a delicious wink: "And I'm even luckier to be spendin' such a lovely day with you, partner..."


This pony that I've been secretly in love with... this awesome mare...

She brings me a lot of joy, but she also brings me a lot of sadness.

The joy comes from just basking in her presence, drinking in how beautiful and strong and sexy she is.

The sadness comes from knowing that no matter how awesome I try to be or how much I improve myself, she lives in another world, and I doubt I'll ever be good enough to be a part of it.

And... you know what? That's okay. That's fine. You'd think it would break my heart to write such a thing, but I can manage. I'm used to managing a broken heart. It's... not something I like confessing to most ponies, but I'm sharing it with you.

I'm sharing it with you so that you know—no matter what happens, no matter how weird or how awkward things get—I'm a happier pony today than I was yesterday. I'm happier because I'm starting to figure out how the world works, and I think that's just one step towards figuring out you... towards figuring out how to be like you—a best friend and an awesome, honest mare.

In the last few months, without even trying, I've learned what it means to be loyal. It's a freakin' selfless thing, and it means putting your nose against the grindstone, oftentimes not being able to partake in the fruits of your labor. And I'm starting to wonder if that's what it's like to live on a farm. You barely enjoy even a shred of the profit you make from your bounties. But that's not the point, is it? It's all about what you do for your fellow ponies, for your family, for your friends.

We're all placed on this world to improve the lives of others. And I think I'm starting to get that. I'm starting to actually get what it means to be loyal to everypony and everyone. But I'd be lying if I said that understanding came out of nowhere. Instead, it branched out of something, a single source, a tiny warm nub in the center of that heart.

Because in the end, as in the beginning, there's only been one pony and one pony alone that I've desired to be loyal to. And by doing everything I can for her, I've learned to be loyal to everypony. And now—at long last—I think I'm starting to learn how to be loyal to myself... and to love myself, not in a boastful and bragging way, but in a healthy way... a way that will keep this heart from staying broken, so I can lock in the love that I have for this mare who has meant so much to me and has transformed my life inside and out.

And that mare is you, Applejack. I love you. I love you more than anything.

PreviousChapters Next