• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,658 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,658

PreviousChapters Next
Shamanstop

“...and so it was in the deciding that a community of earth ponies was where I would be residing,” Zecora said while stirring a kettle full of steaming broth. “For far too long have earth ponies depended on those proficient in magic. To not explore other means of medicine and alchemy would be utterly tragic!”

“Uh huh…” Rainbow stammered, biting her lip hard as she sat on the satchel with all her weight. The saddlebag jolted underneath her; she sensed the horn trying to dart for the far ends of the room, or at least she thought that she did. Sweating up a storm, she grinded her hooves against the wooden floor of Zecora’s hut and fought to anchor the thing down. “And th-then what happened?”

“The desert elders blessed my name, and a new phase my life became. I set out across the dunes and sand to bring myself to this distant pony land.” She looked over her striped shoulder, smiling. “For the past two years, I’ve worked diligently to advance equine medicine holistically!”

“Wowsers…” Rainbow Dash winced, hiding it behind a smile as she fought the shifting horn beneath her. “That’s… uh… pretty selfless…”

Zecora chuckled. “To assist others is my absolute pleasure. To be agents of benevolence is what zebras treasure.”

“Well, if you ask me, it’s almost a shame that we only have one of you guys out here,” Rainbow said. The saddlebag jolted and she kicked it with a blue hoof. “Erm… and… of c-course when I say ‘you guys...’”

“I understand your intent, even if your chosen words are bent.”

Rainbow winced. “Yeah. S-sorry.”

“No need to apologize. I see the sincerity in your eyes.”

“Well, cool. So long as one of us d-does,” Rainbow’s voice cracked. Her limbs were growing increasingly numb and she feared she wouldn’t have the power to stop the horn from jerking about. “If I may ask, how many more years do you plan to be doing this?”

“Hmmmm…” Zecora paused in stirring to tap her chin. “I am bound by the elder’s code to perform my duties until I am thirty-five years old.” She turned around to say, “That means I have five years remaining of all of my tasks hereby pertaining.”

“Whoah… you’re thirty?” Rainbow winced. “Erm, I mean… you totally don’t look it, y’know.”

Zecora chuckled and returned to the potion. “I’m afraid I do not share pony feelings on age and what one’s years are revealing. So long as I am healthy and wise then my spirit is always on the rise.”

“So… uhm… in five years, does that mean you’re going to call it quits and head back home?”

Zecora sighed somewhat. “I must admit I miss the oasis of my youth. But to abandon Ponyville would be a great deal uncouth.”

“How do you mean?”

“I’ve grown quite the attachment to this place. The kindness of my neighbors has brought a permanent smile to my face.”

“Well, shoot, Zecchy.” Rainbow smiled. “You’re pretty much a snazzy striped sister in my book. I think it’d be killer sweet to have you around even longer.”

“I must admit, I feel on the same page. I would much rather be this town’s friend than the resident sage.”

“Well, one step at a time!” Rainbow said. “And who knows, maybe in five years once you’ve pretty much graduated from the ‘traveling shaman’ thing, you could move into a house much closer into town.”

“Perhaps… perhaps…”

“Even, y’know.” Rainbow shrugged. “Lasso yourself a stallion and settle down--” She winced before she finished that.

Zecora was already sighing dreamily. “I do not even dare think of marriage so long as my heart and soul exist in a proverbial carriage.” She nevertheless produced a soft smile. “Still, I do not think it too strange if a simple discussion over a meal or two could be arranged.”

“Uhhhhh…” Rainbow gulped, trying not to sweat. “Arranged with who?”

“Rainbow Dash, you know me too well.” Zecora stifled a chuckling tone. “Even a shaman can be put under a spell.”

Rainbow nodded, wheezing forth, “I-I was afraid you’d say that…”

“Ah! And with such time to spare!” Zecora spun about, holding the frothing cup of potion up high. “The brew isn’t so hard to make as its ingredients are rare!” She turned to the pegasus. “Rainbow, perhaps you would like some bread to consume this with--”

“NothanksI’mgooddownthehatch!” Rainbow blurred up to her, grabbed the mug, and poured its contents down her throat.

Zecora winced. “My the shadows, how quick you are to consume! Careful that your stomach doesn’t run out of room!”

Rainbow finished gulping, exhaled, and hovered in place with her eyes shut.

“Is… the medicine running its course?”

Rainbow took a deep breath, feeling as the tingling left her body. “I feel… I feel…” She turned and looked at the saddlebag lying on the floor.

The satchel was perfectly still, not moving an inch.

“Yes…?”

With a blink, Rainbow smiled. She turned towards Zecora with a thankful glint in her eyes. “The best I felt all day.”

PreviousChapters Next