• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,706 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,706

PreviousChapters Next
Cyclonical

"Everyone all limbered up?" Rainbow Dash asked, trotting through the group of sweating, flexing pegasi. "We can't do calisthenics forever, y'know?"

"Mrmmff..." Sharp Quill gnashed his teeth while doing wing-ups. He produced a sweaty smile. "Hey! Why n-not?" A wheezing laugh. "I can do this forever!"

Without so much as a word, Rainbow Dash side-swiped his feathertips with her tail.

"Wh-whoah!" He flailed, his muzzle and chest plunging towards the ground. A blue fetlock reached in, holding him up by his nose. Sharp Quill went cross-eyed, then blinked up at the mare.

"We wanna stretch the wings. Not tear them off," Rainbow said. "An expert flier's wings woulda resisted what I just did. But don't worry." She lowered her fetlock, gently placing Sharp Quill belly-first against the grass. "This is just our first day. By the time we're ready to produce a tornado, I'm gonna have you guys in tip-top shape. You guys and gals will come out of this as the best weather fliers in Ponyville! Keep up the exercise, and I bet you'll even be Wonderbolt material!"

"Hey, Rainbow!" Stu panted, smiling as he continued doing wing-ups. "Wanna try shoving my feathertips? Heheh! I bet I could handle it—"

"And... pegasi who are able to answer Cloudsdale's beck and call Equestria-wide are able to earn waaaaay more bits than the average pony," Rainbow said, smirking. "And who doesn't want a little extra clink in their bit bag?"

The exhausted group muttered in general, smiling agreement.

"So... now that we've stretched our wings..." Rainbow slid into her vest. "It's time for... nnngh... an endurance run. Mrmmff..." She fussed and struggled with the annoyingly large article. "It's gonna take balance... nnngh... and intestinal fortitude to maintain... geugh... a constant flight in circular motion—darn it!" She tossed the scrap of cloth aside and stood before the group in a huff. "See the rainbow colored mane?" She pointed at her skull. "That's the sign of your captain! Look for that, not some stupid vest!"

Everypony in the group chuckled good-naturedly, nodding.

"Alright. So... let's do this." She levitated skyward. "Counter-clockwise! Got it?!" She pointed a hoof, squinting suspiciously. "Clockwise is for losers! You're not all losers, are you?"

"No, ma'am."

"I can't hear you!"

"No, ma'am!!!"

"That's more like it!" Rainbow looked aside. "Sharp Quill, you okay over there?"

"Oh... s-sure thing!" He huffed and puffed, levitating along with the rest of the group. "Just... c-catching my breath."

"Well, catch it faster. I need you flying with us or we'll never get the tornado formed. Ya feel me?"

"Oh! Kaff! Totally!"

"Right. Let's start it out real slow, okay? Get a rhythm going. Once a full circle is formed, I'll get an eye for everypony's wingspans, and then I'll assign vertical positions. Got it? Now go! Fly! After me!"

The pegasi lifted up into the air, forming a spiral as they tailed Rainbow through the air.

As Rainbow began her counter-clockwise circulation, a familiar brown shape caught up with her.

"Hey... uh... Rainbow..." Stu stammered, shaking off the sweat from his mane.

"Mrmmmf..." Rainbow exhaled out the side of her muzzle in mid-flight.

"I... uh... I-I hope I wasn't being too forward earlier when I challenged you to give my wings a slap." He smiled nervously. "Just trying to get in the spirit of things, y'know?"

"Spirit's fine," Rainbow muttered. "Just... don't overdo it. I want us pumped for sure—but the real excitement doesn't kick in until it's time to get the trees ripped out. Got it?"

"Oh! Totally!" Stu smiled. "And I don't ever wanna cramp your style."

"Hah..." Rainbow smirked bitterly, spinning in a gentle arc. "I don't think you'll have to worry about that."

"Just how much spirit should I throw into today's exercises?"

"Uhhh..."

"Ten percent? Twenty percent?"

"Fine. Whatever. Jeez."

"Fifty percent spirit it is!" Stu Leaves chimed, grinning wide. "Whew! Let's get this tornado practice party started!" Stu gazed over his shoulder with a smirk. "Come on, y'all! Let's not let Rainbow down!"

Rainbow grimaced. "Did you just say 'y'all?'"

"Eeyup."

Rainbow winced again. "And... did you just now say—"

"Can't hear ya, Rainbow!" Stu descended. "Gotta get back in formation! Waiting on your orders!"

"Nnnnngh..." Rainbow glared daggers into the spinning world around them. "...fly until you throw up all over Stu."

"Huh?" Sharp Quill wheezed from behind.

"I said follow me!"

PreviousChapters Next