• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,724 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,724

PreviousChapters Next
Get This Party Started

“Alright...” Rarity licked her lips as the did the finishing touches on the multicolored threads of Rainbow's mane. “I do believe I am about ready.”

“You sure about that? I think my neck is about to snap.”

“That's your own fault for being to stiff and rigid, dear. You should relax. No need for such tension!”

“Easy for you to say.”

“Trust me, darling. The first date is always the most awkward. Things can only go uphill from now on. Or in your case, upwind.” Rarity suppressed a giggle.

“I'm not sure that analogy means what you think it means...”

“Oh hush.” Rarity leaned back. “Aaaaaaaaaaaaand...” She gently pivoted Rainbow towards a mirror inside the Boutique. “Voila.”

A pair of ruby eyes twitched at the pegasus' reflection.

“Mmmm!” Rarity clamped her jaw tight, holding in a delightful squeal. A pair of dainty hooves crossed before her muzzle as she cracked a grin. “What do you think?” she blurted in a high-pitched voice. “Is it not the absolute finest masterpiece of a makeover ever?”

“It... uhhh...” Rainbow took a deep breath. “It sure is something...”

“If you think you're stunned silent, just imagine him!”

“Yeah... eh heh heh heh... imagine him...”

“Ooh! Time is of the essence! Your arrangement is tonight, is it not?”

“Right. I guess I'd better get going. Thanks a bunch, Rarity.”

“Oh, you shan't be flying there in that! Allow me to call you a coach—”

“Nah, Rarity. You've done enough. More than enough.”

“But I insist!”

There was a loud honking outside the Boutique.

“Actually,” Rainbow Dash said, “It's kinda sorta been taken care of already...”

“Oh...?”


Four stallions galloped across the Bucklyn Bridge, drawing a coach into the glittering vestiges of Manehattan Isle just as the sun set. Inside, Vinyl Scratch sat across from Rainbow Dash.

“The dudes are gonna drop me off at the rear of the building where all of my equipment is,” Vinyl said. “But I've told them to come around to the front entrance afterward to let you disembark in style. There'll be a bit of a scene, but that's normal. Lots of famous ponies shuffle up to enter the Paint Bucket Flat to let the media know it.”

“M-media?”

“Pfffft. You think Photo Finish is going to be the only pony with cameras there?”

“Ungh...”

“Hey, this is the sort of stuff you gotta deal with if you're gonna be anypony at a high-end party like tonight's.”

“I know. I know.” Notecards shuffled in black-stocking'd hooves before being dipped into a glittery silver purse. “I don't suppose I'm gonna run into you while we're both there.”

“Heh. Sorry, girl. But you're on your own.” Vinyl smirked and adjusted her shades. “I'll be high up in the DJ Booth. I'll wish you good luck when I see you, but you're the one who's gonna have to lead this dance.”

“Yeah. I figured.”

“One last piece of advice?” Vinyl leaned forward. “If anypony tries to get friendly with you—like really friendly...”

“What, you mean like hitting on me? I'll just headbutt them.”

“Not with that hairdo, you won't.” Vinyl shook her head. “Just ramble on about starving foals in the Zebrahara or the endangered sea serpents of Northern Equestria or some other silly fake garbage. Convince them that you're a social justice warrior.”

“A social justice what?

“Trust me. It's the absolute guaranteed way to give any stallion—or mare—instantly cold hooves. They'll leave you alone for the rest of eternity, much less the evening.”

“Why, you think a bunch of ponies are going to be bugging me or something?”

“Heh. Have you looked in a mirror since your gal-pal spruced you up in that number, Dash?”

“Yeah. So?”

Vinyl leaned back, shaking her head. “Let's just say you're in for a busy night.”

“Oh joy.”

“Shhhhhh... We're almost there. Good luck with Photo Finish. And remember... try to have fun.”

“Unnngh...”


At the front entrance to a high rise building in downtown Manehattan, a glitzy event was underway. Bright floodlights danced across the sky while dozens if not hundreds of well-dressed ponies gathered around a roped-off section of carpet. Many stood in line, gabbing and musing about the evening's events as they awaited the scrutiny of a bouncer at the building's revolving door. In the meantime, coach after coach rolled up to the rolled out carpet, dropping off celebrities, dignitaries, and artists who trotted proudly indoors in their suits and dresses.

“Ungh...” A pink earth pony with purple hair rolled her brown eyes. “Just look at these pathetic posers.” She stamped her hoof from where she and her assistant stood behind a velvet rope. Photographers flashed their cameras all around them. “They wouldn't know what fashion is if it galloped up and bit them.”

A petite peach coated mare with a blue mane fidgeted beside her. “I don't know, Miss Polomare. Those two from Saddle Arabia looked wonderful to me in their silk sashes.”

“I don't pay you to disagree with me!” The taller mare sneered. “Just shut up and take notes like a good assistant.”

The petite one shuddered. “Y-Yes, Miss Polomare. I'm sorry.”

“Ungh. It's just a sign of the times, I'm telling you.” A pair of bored brown eyes stared at each arriving coach. “That whole Nightmare Moon business sapped the Equestrian fashion scene of all creativity. You'd think it would be the other way around. Nothing like a good scare to get the juices flowing. But nooooo. Look at these boring aesthetics. It's like everypony wants to relive the Pre-Classical Era again. Can't we be modern? Can't we be new and unique and—”

One black coach arrived, and a mare got out. The entire crowd instantly gasped.

The assistant's blue eyes widened. She hissed aside, “Suri! Look!”

“Hmmm?” The larger pony glanced lethargically. Instantly, her body jolted. “Thick Threads of Zanzibuck... is that even real?

A petite pegasus shuffled out of her coach wearing a slinky black number that draped off of her cyan coat like the shadow of an eclipse. The neckline and hem of the skirt shone with a silver lining that perfectly caught the bright lights of the city in all their glittering glory. Interlaced webs of transparency allowed the mare's blue coat to show through, and each gossamer line was laced with silver bands that all met at her neck like tails to a comet head. There, the mare's resplendent prismatic mane had been braided up with a few of the multicolored strands dangling free by the weight of tiny metal ringlets. Finally, a silver headband crowned her brow like a crescent moon, accentuating the dusty eyeshadow that framed her alluring gaze.

By the time the crowd's collective breath had returned, a flood of camera ponies aimed their instruments at the mare in question, flooding the sidewalk with an epileptic light show of flashing bulbs. The pegasus' wings flexed briefly, each feather shimmering with a subtle touch of silver powder. She adjusted the paper-thin strap of a shiny little purse around her neck and proceeded forward in a confident trot towards the building's front room. Everypony's heads collectively turned.

“That... that...” Suri Polomare whimpered. “...that c-can't even be real!”

“So much shine,” her assistant stammered. A gulp. “And not even a single sequin used!”

Suri growled and slapped the mare's mane. “Why aren't you taking notes, dammit?!”

“R-right!” The petite pony whipped out a notepad and began scribbling away. “Notes! Notes!”

“Something crazy is going on here, Coco,” Suri grumbled to herself, tapping her chin as the crowd around her murmured. “Who's willing to bet that Photo Finish is at the bottom of all this...?”

PreviousChapters Next