• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,724 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,724

PreviousChapters Next
Loyalty Unbridled

Rainbow Dash flew north.

It was an easy thing to do... perhaps the easiest thing she had ever done.

With the camp full of miscreants to her backside, all she had to look forward to was wasteland, monsters, and the occasional blood-thirsty dragon.

The mare sighed with relief.

"Can't believe I actually miss this," she muttered, her lips curved slightly. "Even the silence too."

"Mmmff..." Lancie climbed up to her neckline, grabbing onto her mane. "Hey there, Sparky."

Rainbow sighed out her nostrils. "Never mind."

"Things got pretty schoolyardy back there," he remarked, smirking. "Quite frankly, with your hooves so close to resembling noodles, I didn't know you had it in you."

"Well, this last bottle is all I've got left," Rainbow muttered. "Or make that half-a-bottle, if you're counting."

"That's... not exactly what I meant."

"Well, it's exactly what you've got."

"Honestly, Rainbow." Lancie leaned against the back of her fuzzy skull. "What's gotten into you? I mean, aside from the spider venom, the pressure to save your beloved marefriend's sister, and the endless amount of threats those thugs are making at your friends."

"Oh Lancie...?" Rainbow droned. "I wonder if you even listen to yourself at times."

"As a matter of fact, I do." The statue propped his fanged jaws against his granite talons. "And... I happen to be quite observant, too." He "talked" a tiny pair of stone fingers across her forehead. "And I can't help but notice that a certain Rainbow Dash is starting to look and sound more and more like a Rainbow Dastardly."

"Your point?"

Lancie blinked. "My point is that I'm having to make a point!" He flung himself forward until he stared at her upside down. "It simply isn't you to juggle with the lives of other souls—no matter how disagreeable."

"It isn't like me to protect the best interests of my friends?" Rainbow growled. "To honor and preserve their integrity? Their liberty? Their guarantee of waking up the next day to sniff—maybe munch on the morning flowers?"

"Uhhhhhhhhhh..." Lancie blinked into the wind.

"Face it, Lancie." Rainbow snorted. "This is loyalty unbridled. I love Applejack. I love the rest of my friends. I love Ponyville. All of those things are being threatened right now, and I gotta draw a line in the sand."

"Yes, it just..." Lancie cleared his throat. "Doesn't sound very harmonic."

"And since when has that concerned you?"

Lancie raised a finger to speak. He lingered, and his stone ears drooped. "That's..." He gulped. "...a very good question, actually."

"Good. Maybe you can spend the next few hours thinking up an answer to it. Meanwhile, I'm going to be stupidly busy finding the rest of your goddess-forsaken stones." Rainbow Dash huffed. "They certainly won't find themselves."

"Ohhhhh Sparky..." Lancie sighed. He fidgeted. "Rainbow... I think... I-I think that you should—"

"Shhhhh." Rainbow pointed at the line of desolate gravel that formed the northern horizon. "See that? Were the rising steam is coming from?"

"Hmmm?" Lancie shaded his gray eyes, staring. "Yes..." He blinked. "Appears to be... a giant crater?"

"Looks the same to me."

"Odds are it's very craggy, dangerous, and hard to fly around in there," Lancie said.

"Cool." Rainbow nodded, then dove. "I'm going in."

"Gah!" Lancie clung on for dear life as the two plunged into the hazy depths of the Ashen North.

PreviousChapters Next