• Published 4th Dec 2013
  • 16,702 Views, 16,177 Comments

Appledashery - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash lives an exciting life and is swiftly becoming the most daring, awesome pegasus in all of Equestria. She would gladly give it all up, though, just to confess her love to Applejack.

  • ...
106
 16,177
 16,702

PreviousChapters Next
Frankly Speaking

"Please file my notes on teleportation field experiments in tomorrow's early morning 'to-do' file, Spike, not the mid afternoon 'to-do' file." Twilight Sparkle smiled, arranging several almanacs in alphabetical order across a bookshelf. "Then you can head to bed if you like."

"Just one ruby to snack on...?"

"Spiiiike..." Twilight rolled her eyes. "You already had two whole helpings of dinner?"

"Please? I only want a teensy nibble."

"Hehe. Okay, fine." She smirked towards the adjacent corridor to the library's central room. "But so long as it's not a large ruby. We don't want you tossing and turning all night cuz of your rumbling little dragon tummy."

"Woohoo!"

Twilight sighed, trotting across the room as she blew out one of several sets of candles. "Honestly, Princess Celestia, I sometimes think you gave me a vacuum with scales for an assistant."

Just then, there was a knock on the door.

Twilight shuffled to a stop, blinking. She looked at the door, then at the star-drenched windows. "Huh..." She arched an eyebrow. "Could... it be Trixie with her half of the research paper?" The unicorn trotted swiftly towards the front door. "If she's actually done a day early, I swear, I'll transmogrify a cow into tofu."

She opened the door swiftly, squinting at who was on the other side.

"Rainbow!" Twilight exclaimed. "What a pleasant surprise! Won't you come in?"

Rainbow Dash fidgeted, glancing at the floor. "You... uh... you sure I'm not intruding? I mean, I guess it's super late."

"Well, I wouldn't call it 'super' late." Twilight suppressed a giggle. "The sun only went down an hour ago. Come on in!"

"Okay, cool..." Rainbow shuffled inside on pensive hooves.

"Besides, my head's full of this intricate research on teleportation I'm working on," Twilight said. "I've agreed to help the Trottingham Science Commission with a few key experiments that they can't afford to do in the main city. It's a complicated joint venture, and over the next few days they'll be sending scientists with various tools over to Ponyville so we can extrapoulate data together." She grinned. "I couldn't fall asleep now if I tried!"

"Well... uh... kudos, I-I guess?" Rainbow said.

"I know, I know..." Twilight sighed. "It's hard to properly convey just why I'm enthusiastic about this sort of stuff to another pony, but it could possibly lead to several key developments in wizardry. Also, I have Trixie taking part, and she's doing her best to be useful in a scientific field for a change. I... suppose you're the one to thank for that. For bringing her around and all." Twilight smiled at her papers as she filed a few of them away on a desktop. "She might not admit it straightaway, but Trixie's getting ahead in life. She's got focus... a drive. No longer does she feel compelled to live out of a paltry wooden cart in the middle of nowhere. I mean... there's nothing wrong with a nomadic existence, but so long as it's given depth and purpose... eh..." The unicorn waved. "Anyways, I'm rambling. What brings you here, Rainbow?"

Silence.

Twilight blinked. She turned around with a curious expression. "Rainbow Dash?"

The mare sat in the corner, hugging herself with a contemplative expression across her muzzle.

Twilight's lips pursed. She trotted forward. "Is... is everything alright?"

Eventually, Rainbow looked up. "Can... can I ask you something, Twilight? Even if it sounds stupid?"

"Anything, Rainbow!" Twilight smiled gently. "And it won't be stupid."

Rainbow's eyes narrowed. "Would you say that... I've got it good here in Ponyville?"

"You've... got it good?"

"Like..." Rainbow's nostrils flared. She looked past her reflection in a nearby mirror. "I work a bunch of menial jobs just to get by. I get involved in freaky things, like the crud that went down in Fillyda. Everypony's all over my skin about making sure the clouds get cleared on time. And, to top it all off, I'm a friggin' Element of Harmony, just like you and the rest of the girls."

"Uh huh...?" Twilight listened intently, her head tilted to the side.

"And yet... y'know... despite all of that stuff..." Rainbow shrugged... then shrugged again. "I suddenly feel... feel..." She looked over, her ears folded back. "...chill."

Twilight blinked. "Chill?"

"Doesn't all of that sound boring to you?"

"All of what?"

"My friggin' life," Rainbow grunted. "I mean, you'd think what went down in Fillyda with Applejack and Stu Leaves would have been the highlight of my month, but now that I'm back here in Ponyville... where everything is dull and dry as a rock... I... k-kinda like it." Rainbow grimaced slightly upon the admission. "I kinda like the nothingness."

Twilight smiled. "Well, Rainbow, I suppose that's all a part of getting older."

"Ew, don't say that."

"Just hear me out for a second." Twilight gestured. "When I first met you—"

"I plowed you into a pile of mud."

Twilight winced. "...what I was trying to get at was that you were really, really adamant about getting into the Wonderbolts."

"Same difference."

"Nnngh..." Twilight rolled her eyes, but nevertheless continued. "What we get in life isn't always what we originally expect it to be. And by saying that, I'm in no way trying to say that you should give up on your dream to become a Wonderbolt. But, rather, you shouldn't be so shocked when you find yourself enjoying the other things you get in life... even if they might seem boring or plain or... uhhh... less awesome." Twilight smiled. "I grew up in Canterlot. So when I first came to Ponyville, I thought this was just a town full of overly enthusiastic country bumpkins. I wanted no part of it."

"Heh. I feel ya."

"But then I realized how magical life was here..." Twilight sighed, her cheeks turning rosy. "And just how fulfilling friendship is. It's changed my existence for the better. And... and I haven't given up on my scientific persuits. Not even in the least! I'm just... less devastated when I found out that my goals are a lot further ahead than I anticipated." Twilight shrugged. "Part of life is the living as much as the dreaming, I suppose."

"Mrmfff..." Rainbow glared into the candlelight. "I've done my fair share of dreaming."

"Don't give up, Rainbow." Twilight smiled. "You'll join the Wonderbolts yet. I just think you've come to appreciate that awesomeness has its many forms. Hehe... both exciting and calm."

"What if..." Rainbow bit her lip, fumbling. "...what if I-I'm not quite so jazzed about the Wonderbolts like I used to be?"

Twilight blinked. "...you're not?"

"What if I never join them and... and that's just fine?" Rainbow muttered.

"Am I... talking to the same Rainbow?" Twilight remarked, raising a dainty forelimb.

Rainbow looked over. "What if I have enough to go on right here, with who I am and what I've got?"

"I... I don't think I follow."

Rainbow bit her lip. "Something... happened to me down in Orlandoats, Twilight. D-don't worry! It was nothing bad. Not r-really. But... but I can't stop thinking that maybe... that maybe I put too much on my own plate." She gulped. "Both what's sweet as well as what's healthy. And maybe I've just... lived life hungry all this time when I really don't have to gobble much down at all."

"Rainbow, no offense, but you're not exactly poignant with your metaphors," Twilight said with a nervous chuckle. "Maybe you should just spit it out. What happened to you? What do you feel like giving up?"

"Did I say that?" Rainbow thought out loud, grimacing. "Do... I really want to give her up?"

"Uhhhhhh..." Twilight leaned her head to the side. "Who?"

Rainbow coughed. "It. I meant to say 'it.'"

Silence.

"Meh..." Rainbow sighed, shaking her head. "I'm just rambling, Twi. I'm sorry." She made for the door. "I really didn't need to get you involved. Especially not this late."

"Must you go?" Twilight stood between her and the door. "Really?" She bore a compassionate smile. "You can be a stranger to us, but don't be one to yourself, Rainbow."

"Ehh...?" Rainbow gave her a squinting look.

Twilight chuckled. "Well, we're not exactly attached at the hip, Rainbow. Whenever you fly off at random—which you've been doing a lot of these past few months—it's up to the rest of us to guess where and for what reason. And it's not that we don't trust that you're doing very important things. It's just that... well..." Twilight sniffled slightly, and she fought to keep her eyes dry. "We really miss you, Rainbow. That's all. Plain and simple."

Rainbow gazed at her, deadpan. "I really miss me too," she muttered. "And now I'm starting to think..." She slowly trotted out the front door, leaving a confused Twilight behind. "...that maybe I've been flying too far ahead of myself all this time."

PreviousChapters Next