• Published 24th Jan 2015
  • 20,442 Views, 5,762 Comments

Letters from an Irritated Princess - Tired Old Man



Celestia writes some blunt letters to her faithful student and friends.

  • ...
71
 5,762
 20,442

PreviousChapters Next
If I'm Honest, I Had an Apple Naming Relapse

Dear Applejack,

As per our legal agreement I am taking great care to not misspell or misrepresent your name. I only ask you turn a blind eye to the emphasis around 'jack'. I was merely thinking of a very recent incident in which five ponies were temporarily hijacked. As all five ponies have now reported that they are safe and aren't pressing charges, I've decided to turn a blind eye to this pony kidnapping as I'm sure you'll turn a blind eye to any slight mistakes I might make writing your name.

So ApplePonyHijacker, I am given to understand Rarity asked for your help judging a fashion competition.

Kudos to you for stepping outside your comfort level. Now, I am told you initially took to this job with little enthusiasm and then perhaps a little too much enthusiasm, but it sounds like you eventually came to terms about what it means to be a good judge in this case. Honesty is a good policy, but so is tempering your message when appropriate and conferring with your colleagues before you open your mouth to stomp all over their feelings, literally destroy someone's hard work, or go on to commit crimes once, twice, or five times all for the sake of making an apology happen on your terms.

I hope you'll commit this new lesson to heart as much as I hope Ponyville kidnappings return to pre-fashion competition and pre-changeling invasion days. Hopefully you’ve come to terms with everypony having their own perspective that is different from your own and being able to at least tolerate that. On that note, I seriously hope you can help me with a little issue that's come across my desk. While this is certainly a civil matter well within Mayor Mare’s authority to handle, she’s far too busy trying to quell the concerned townsfolk over a serial kidnapper that steals away ponies in broad daylight and has temporarily asked for my assistance during this time.

Anyway, it seems somepony keeps throwing apples at the home of a certain pegasus named Strawberry Sunrise. I understand she also lives in Ponyville and have deduced that the apples must be coming from your own orchard. It is my hope you can identify and put a stop to this culprit who is clearly wasting apples. Perhaps you can share this newfound wisdom you've discovered with them rather than force my hooves on this matter. AppleforGodsSakeStopThrowingApplesOrI'llHaveToSendYouToTheDungeonForALongTimeJack, I leave this matter in your capable hooves.

Totally Not Threatening One Million Years Dungeon,

Princess Celestia

~~~

Dear Rarity,

I’m not entirely sure what demonic entity possessed you to place Applejack as a fashion judge. Or in the case of this “inspired” decision actually being yours, then I have no clue what could inspire you to invite a mare that legitimately chose galoshes to go with her gala dress on her first formal outing.

It is indeed a fact that she’s honest, which is an admirable quality to have in a judge. There's even something to say about practicality having a place in the commonplace world of fashion, which is a world apart from the fashion devoted to making statements, but I'm sure you knew that. Yet it is also a fact she doesn’t like fashion. I thought you knew this—heck, this seems like something you’d directly state if prompted to, perhaps when you last hosted a fashion show in Ponyville. Granted, I heard nothing but praise about the show from Mayor Mare at the time, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t some brain-melting stupidity prior to such success being reported. That seems to be the real trend these days.

Unfortunately, that also includes today. It’s a near-guarantee that had you not chosen AppleTheBestBookIsAnInstructionManualJack as your final judge, this entire fiasco from the botched show to a showstopping crime spree of kidnapping could have merely been a fleeting fantasy worthy of Twilight’s Worst Case Scenario Highlight Reel. Picking just about anypony else would have served as a better judge. Fluttershy actually worked for Photo Finish at your behest. Pinkie Pie and Discord play more dress-up than a filly’s doll. Rainbow Dash has even started dressing with some degree of respect as a Wonderbolt, and you can bet your curled tail Twilight would spend half the afternoon reading How to Fashion Judge for Dummies in preparation for the role. You didn’t even consider Spike as a possibility, and that dragon’s spent so much time following you around some of you HAD to have rubbed off on him by now.

...I could have word that better. Regardless, you had options that were more than capable of filling the hole in the panel of judges. Instead, you picked the mare that has twenty of the same hat in her closet from a family whose biggest fashion statement is a horse head mask. I had a better chance of being convinced this was some ill-conceived courting attempt rather than an educated decision. Had.

Does this mean you’re wholly to blame for everything that happened after this fateful selection? No, but you still carry a great deal of blame for bringing in a fashion judge that doesn’t like fashion. I don’t care if they’ve got practicality in spades; it’s a shot in the foot, a self-destructive decision akin to drinking orange juice right after brushing one’s teeth. Honestly, what were you thinking?!

There had to have been signs over the course of her short judging career that you saw. Signs glowing in bright neon colors straight out of Las Pegasus’s evening scene that AppleJackingUpTheirOutfitsLikeACombineHarvester behaved so abhorrently that it warranted a two—no, five minute side conversation telling her to calm down and stop being a belligerent arsehole. That’s all that had to be done!

Rarity, tell me with a straight face that there was no way you could have arranged that in any capacity. Can you do that? Will you dare?

Now, despite all of your lackluster attempts at damage control before everything blew up in your face, I'll make it clear that AppleToreUpMoreFabricThanARogueScissorBladeJack has certainly earned your scorn for her actions. Dealing with charged opinions like hers is no easy task, and I wholly expected some generous comeuppance on a level matching her generously offered opinions. Introducing her to a pony that doesn’t like apples and thinks they’re disgusting? Kudos to you for your clever thinking.

Now Applejack and Strawberry Sunrise are flinging more fruit at each other than a food fight at a gay bar. Mayor Mare’s nearly at her wit’s end as she’s doubled and redoubled her efforts to calm the townsfolk convincing them that they’re not being assaulted by Fruit Ninjas.

No, it’s not your fault they escalated to that—Granny Smith and I thought that something like this would happen eventually. However, if you’d be a dear and find some way to cleanly handle this messy situation that’s happening between two of your friends, I’d greatly appreciate it. I’d help in this matter, but I’m still in the middle of sorting out how much psychological damage AppleIsSoGettingSuedForThisJack caused from… well, everything she’s done thus far.

Pray I find a swift resolution. I’ll be praying you do the same.

Wishing To Mutual Success In Damage Control,

Princess Celestia

Now then, Sunny, Moony, I have a task for both of you this week. Simply put, despite your best efforts to make a kitchet pet sanctuary to contain the ever-increasing amounts of utensils, plates and cookware, the sanctuary is running out of shelf and cabinet space to hold everything together. The counters are starting to pile up with dishes, and I get the impression that if something isn't done to stem the tide, we're going to have very big kitchen sanitation problems in the coming weeks.

So as much as I hate to break this to both of you, we've reached a point where either we stop making kitchen pets, or you start finding loving homes that are willing to accept these adorably useful, if slightly bizarre creations.

I don't want you to make this decision immediately. However, I would like both of you to try and find a home for at least one pet. Take a few with you as you travel around Equestria over this week, and take this task seriously. Luna and I will hold down the castle and keep an eye on the Sanctuary while you two are out and about.

Yes, I'm certain we'll be fine. What could possibly go wrong with just the two of us handling things?

Author's Note:

This is an episode that hurt my head so much, I could only manage to write one letter. Thankfully, Justice also had something to say about this episode and contributed another.

But who wrote which one?? Only time... and I guess us will tell.

PreviousChapters Next