• Published 24th Jan 2015
  • 20,428 Views, 5,762 Comments

Letters from an Irritated Princess - Tired Old Man



Celestia writes some blunt letters to her faithful student and friends.

  • ...
71
 5,762
 20,428

PreviousChapters Next
Owls are Nocturnal, Baby Dragons are Not

Dear Spike,

Setting aside your lesson for a moment, I've got a small bone to pick with you.

This morning, I woke up to a familiar smell emanating from my closet. The tangy stench of dragon is a smell I can't forget, as much as I want to. It's also one I'm sure you're quite familiar with, because your eggshell is in there. Again.

Look, I'm flattered you still think of me as your mother after all this time, but there's better and less disgusting ways to express that than by leaving your birth shell in my closet. Just add an "I love you" in Twilight's friendship reports if you feel this strongly about it. I'm sure she won't mind.

I'm sending this eggshell back to you, and I insist on you keeping it with Twilight for now. She is your caretaker now, not me. I know she's probably not as thorough or thoughtful as I am, but she's trying her best in terms of that.

Because if she wasn't, you would have told me. And then she would have to answer to me, and we both know how that would go down.

But more importantly, since it's ultimately your eggshell, I want you to leave it with somepony special to your heart. Clearly Twilight isn't that, judging from your earlier rant that referred to her as a "Purple Peabrain." Therefore, whoever your secret crush is, they deserve it more than I do.

Besides, I already have the other half of your eggshell anyway. In a sealed container, locked up tight in my safe all the way across the castle, but it's there. That's how much I value it, Spike. Take that at whatever value you see fit.

Now, onto your lesson. Jealousy is indeed a nasty little thing, especially for dragons. It shares similar ties to envy, despite their opposing nature of one worrying for losing what you have to someone else, and the other for wanting what someone else has. And when one has both in spades, the result can be extremely self-destructive.

This vicious cycle has its grip firmly on dragon hearts and souls, and it is one I am glad to see you will not be a part of if this lesson is any indicator of your progress and--

Hold on. There's a green dragon right outside my balcony making a ruckus. Something about smelling the dragon that robbed some of his hoar--

...we're going to have a VERY long talk later.

Love,

Princess Celestia

PreviousChapters Next