• Published 24th Jan 2015
  • 20,434 Views, 5,762 Comments

Letters from an Irritated Princess - Tired Old Man



Celestia writes some blunt letters to her faithful student and friends.

  • ...
71
 5,762
 20,434

PreviousChapters Next
Lesson Absolute Zero

My faithful student,

I wasn't disappointed.

I knew my day was going to go swimmingly well when Spike sent me a letter showing me how much more aware he was of you than your friends were. He told me you'd lost your ever-loving mind over not sending me a friendship report, speculating over my supposed punishment and desperately trying to find some lesson to learn, all to have everything culminate in you casting the second of the three forbidden spells of magic on your mother's hoof-stitched doll. The first you are well aware of, as are all of my maids that now use brushes instead of brooms. With this kind of track record, I'm thankful you don't know the third spell.

Twilight, you not sending me a friendship report was never the end of the world. I told you this earlier, but it bears repeating. Seriously, it does. Honestly, if I got a report from Mayor Mare saying everything is going well and you didn't send me anything, my week would have been completely set. But you somehow conjured the thought in your head that sending friendship reports was mandatory, which is true. If you had something to learn, that is.

If you sent me a letter saying you learned nothing at all and were just earnest and apologetic about it, I would have happily clarified this situation for you and saved you all the trouble. "What if I don't have a friendship report to send to you?" is a perfectly valid question to ask, Twilight, and just like the tickets so long ago, I'm surprised you didn't ask this sooner.

But what isn't a valid solution is making a problem out of nothing, which you did. In doing so, you nearly took an entire town with you into your madness over just ONE tardy report. When did I even mention the word "tardy" for these reports, anyway?

But I won't ream you further for this mistake. I saw the look on your face in that library, pleading for forgiveness and showing clarity that you knew what you did was unspeakably wrong. That was enough to show me you were fully aware of how low you sunk, so me adding onto that any more would be... forgive the term, beating a dead horse.

If there is some good to gain from this, your calamitous outburst ended up serving as a wonderful vector for your friends to understand that maybe they should actually pay attention to you instead of being cynical, suspicious, or just plain mocking and ludicrous. Seriously, them telling me about how badly they screwed up over neglecting your screw-up was the icing on the cake for today.

As such, I saw fit to punish them accordingly by having them do what you do, because you being a middlemare for half of your friendship lessons was very much unnecessary to try and show me how much you're learning. Now that that's settled, I'll expect reports to come in whenever instead of this "weekly" business so you don't have to worry about making sure that's part of your schedule. So long as I get substantial friendship reports that show somepony learned a lesson, this shouldn't be a problem at all.

I have my doubts, but I'm trying to keep a positive outlook in that this punishment won't come back to bite my arse.

Love,

Princess Celestia

No, Luna, that doesn't mean you should send me letters from your room.

Because we live in the same castle! You can just tell me directly instead of wasting good ink and paper!

Look, Luna, if you want us to start sending things back and forth between each other, it might as well be something fun.

Correspondence chess sounds lovely. Oh, but dibs on white.

PreviousChapters Next