• Published 24th Jan 2015
  • 20,438 Views, 5,762 Comments

Letters from an Irritated Princess - Tired Old Man



Celestia writes some blunt letters to her faithful student and friends.

  • ...
71
 5,762
 20,438

PreviousChapters Next
Celestia, Party of Two

My dear student,

It was Gummy's birthday, wasn't it?

I know this because Pinkie gave me some singing telegram outside your tower balcony. The carved oak doors must not be thick enough, since I heard every word of it this morning. I politely told her I couldn't make it due to important princess duties.

Day court can't run itself, as much as I'd like it to. Gods know if I wasn't there, the complaint list of minor grievances would break through the roof and be the tallest tower of the castle. Taller than Luna's, even, and she asked that her tower be extra-tall. Frankly I think it's compensating for something.


Speaking of towers, mine is in the middle of repairs. Again. One dragon torching the place is fine, but a second one smacking it with its tail and lopping off a good two stories from it isn't. That's going to take a bit of time, so I'm currently residing in the tower you stayed in while you were here.

Your tower is a strange thing. Do you know that? Your top floor is as much window as it is walls lined with bookshelves, which is NOT a nice thing when Pinkie's on the prowl. There's even a ton of open space, but hardly any furnishing to occupy it. Everything except books stacked on the floor is tucked against the wall like the designer thought you'd be practicing dance moves and needed the space of an entire gymnasium.

Also, there's no secret escape routes in here. I mean, mine didn't have those either, but during this reconstruction I'm putting one in. And no, I won't tell you where it is. It wouldn't be that secret if I did, would it? And Pinkie wouldn't know eith--what's that popping noise?

Oh, it's Pinkie... on the giant window.

Look, Pinkie, I'm sorry I couldn't make it! I had an extremely busy day dealing with citizen complaints and a wrecked tower! We can talk later, okay?

Cuppa Joe's, tomorrow at nine. I promise I'll be there.

Aaand there's that smile again before she jumps off into the night. How does she even open her mouth that wide? She didn't take a razor to it, did she?

Oh, right, nearly forgot about your lesson. Ahem.

Yes, you should never assume the worst when it comes to your friends. But expecting the best from your friends all the time is hardly realistic.

Everypony has off days or bad times. Even a good friend can experience an event that kicks them down and brings them out of their "best" in an instant. Do you know what to do when that happens, Twilight?

You offer your shoulder. Whatever they do with it from then on, be it leaning, crying, punching... it will help them in some way.

Anyway, I need to get ready for tomorrow, and that means good rest. It won't be easy because your hybrid greenhouse lets in so much moonlight, but I'll make do.

Sleep well, my student.

Love,

Princess Celestia

Oh, evening Luna. What brings you here?

Well, I do have time for one game before bed. Which one did you bri--

Jenga. You brought Jenga. Just... I need a minute. Go ahead and set it up.

PreviousChapters Next