• Published 24th Jan 2015
  • 20,434 Views, 5,762 Comments

Letters from an Irritated Princess - Tired Old Man



Celestia writes some blunt letters to her faithful student and friends.

  • ...
71
 5,762
 20,434

PreviousChapters Next
Parental Glideance Might Not be Best After the Bird Has Left the Nest

Dear Rainbow Dash,

For the longest time, I berated you under the premise that your pride and ego were things you held up far too highly for your own good. I thought them to be self-actualized, born from a natural sense of achievement within you and heartily nurtured by your parents. It didn’t sound like a particularly bad upbringing—maybe a bit jarring depending on how strongly you developed your ego and how others perceived it, but hardly the worst upbringing ever.

Yet upon reviewing your original application into the Wonderbolt Academy, you didn’t list your parents as emergency contacts should any on-site injuries occur. I admit I developed some curiosity into this matter, so I went straight to the source on this—well, it’s not like I had anything better to do on a Sunday. Luna was busy adding more bleachers near the NP goalpost (I’m stunned there are fans of this), and the day was mostly quiet due to a not-so-shocking lack of nobles which were not my problem for the day.

Anyway, so I visited your parents’ house, and I just have one thing to say:

I am extraordinarily proud that you left this house on the cusp of adulthood. If there wasn’t a low-end age limit on house acquisition, I’d be shocked if you didn’t move out sooner than your birthday.

Five minutes, Rainbow. Five minutes spent with your parents shattered my preconceptions about your childhood in one of the worst ways possible. The trophies documenting your growth are astounding and creepy (who keeps a third of their umbilical cord?!), and the teen years didn’t do you any favors either. “Best Brace Bearer”, “Number One Acne Annihilator”, and a literal hole in the wall turned into a shrine for “First Broken Curfew”? By the gods, they must have driven you insane!

Correction: I just remembered they presented a broken sandwich plate as your “First Bout of Insanity”. I thought I had knowledge that would contest that record, but then Windy and Bow stunned me by presenting a broken fanblade from the Cloudsdale Weather Factory.

They call it your "Best Factory Wrecker" trophy.

I have no words. I'm actually speechless there.

There is one thing I can say to you, however. I will hold firm that denying them information on your Wonderbolt status IS disrespectful, despite their over enthusiastic TMI awards. I understand you getting upset over all of those mundane achievements recorded by your parents including a recent one for…towel hanging (What? No really, what??). However, denying them a chance to give praise on a praise-worthy moment like that is more selfish than their awards and fangirl screaming are embarrassing.

Somepony probably spelled that out to you this week, but if they also tried to justify all of their unnecessary praise, just take them back to your parents’ home and show them the “Best at Being Born” ‘trophy’. That should spell things out for them on what praise is actually good and what praise is pointless.

I look forward to how your damage control is going with them, Rainbow Dash. It’s still hard to believe your parents caused more damage than you today (setting off fireworks in the bleachers is somehow the one blowup nopony focused on), but there is a first time for everything.

Best of luck,

Princess Celestia

P.S. Unbelievably, your parents gave ME awards. I’m not sure how I’m supposed to react to a “Blue Ribbon for Regal Presentation” award or a “Second Place for Brutal Honesty” medal—apparently you hold the gold medal, but I’m not going to compete for that. Some achievements just aren’t worth it.

Even more surprising, my mane alone won four more awards: "Freshest Resemblance to Toothpaste", "Best in Show for Breezeless Flowing", "Honorary Mention for Most Efficient Storage Container", and "Most Incredible Cape Material". I object to that last one. That's clearly Luna's.

Also, I’m in the middle of sending your parents a new set of commemorative plates. Apparently their last set broke due to an earlier house guest’s unbridled cheer, and I currently have no shortage of plates.

If for some reason they begin complaining about one of their plates hopping off the mantle, prancing about and leaving porcelain bead droppings on the floor, notify me as soon as possible.

Author's Note:

What's this? A letter releasing on the same day as the US airtime? WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS?!

Canada. Blame Canada.

PreviousChapters Next