• Published 24th Jan 2015
  • 20,423 Views, 5,762 Comments

Letters from an Irritated Princess - Tired Old Man



Celestia writes some blunt letters to her faithful student and friends.

  • ...
71
 5,762
 20,423

PreviousChapters Next
The Price of Fame is Often Misfortune. Just Ask Your Local Paparazzi.

Dear Twilight Sparkle,

I’ve got a copy of your friendship journal sitting on my desk bound in plastic, and more or less ready for a respectable level of preservation within my castle. I never planned on opening this book, if only because I’m already intimately aware of its contents and intend to preserve it for history, not as some for-profit resale piece.

Besides, I already offered my own personal criticisms on the contents of this book and all of your other writings within the privacy of our personal correspondence… with one small exception that’s ultimately not important right now. What IS important is all of the ramifications and consequences of publishing the journal to a wider audience, which I have no doubt you and your friends are experiencing right now in Ponyville. They’ve spread to many of the other major cities and towns by now, but here in Canterlot the nobles are having such a field day verbally thrashing this book like it’s a pauper begging for their money.

On one side, it’s fairly disrespectful and wholly missing the point of the journal. But on the other, they have no obligation to learn that point in any way and are free to choose how they interpret the value of your journal, which in this case is nothing but aimless mocking and belittling like it’s some pauper that stumbled on their doorstep asking for money. In other words, typical noble pricks in peak condition.

However, it’s equally as important to never conflate valid criticism with that and treat all criticism as just being hateful and nonproductive. I get that being swamped with so much negativity can give that impression, but that doesn’t change the fact that if you hear a critique that is or has been true of you before and you have the self-reflective capability to recognize that as a flaw, then perhaps that criticism is worth taking into consideration for the future if you have not yet done so already.

It is worth correcting others on flaws you’ve already fixed, however. There are few things more annoying than hearing somepony hammer you for something you’ve done in your past that you’ve moved on from, and I get the feeling Fluttershy is acutely aware of this.

Actually, in more recent terms, I’m pretty sure Starlight Glimmer is aware too. I hope she’s helping you with this right now in lieu of Spike. I do appreciate you sending him over on such short notice for helping my sister and I with our annual sorting of the archives, and I intend to send him back as soon as possible so that he can help with what must be the mother of all damage control.

Wishing you luck with that massive angry mob that’s definitely outside your castle right now (seriously, this is why you should invest in at least a few royal guards to disperse the riffraff),

Princess Celestia

P.S. Spike wants to know exactly how much ice cream Rarity wants to drown herself in. Would you please get an estimate on how many gallon buckets she wants?

Sunny, you got a copy of the book? My goodness! I didn’t think you’d try to learn about friendship like… what do you mean you don’t plan on reading it?

Look, just because you overheard me saying I wouldn’t open mine doesn’t mean there’s nothing of value in it at all. That’s not at all how you should take this—

More. You bought more. Okay, why? Just why did you get fifty or so copies of this book?!

Book Jenga. Book… Jenga. Haaaaaaaaaaannnngh… You know what? I think I will open up my book.

No, it’s so I can bury my head in it.

PreviousChapters Next