• Published 24th Jan 2015
  • 20,428 Views, 5,762 Comments

Letters from an Irritated Princess - Tired Old Man



Celestia writes some blunt letters to her faithful student and friends.

  • ...
71
 5,762
 20,428

PreviousChapters Next
Hurricane Celestia

Dear Fluttershy,

I've been meaning to get around to asking this question, but why do Pegasi use such a ridiculous method to funnel water up to Cloudsdale? There has to be an easier, less natural disaster-causing method than whipping up a water tornado just to transfer reservoir fluid from the selected town to there.

Do you know what happens when Pegasi lose control of the tornadoes they whip up? Pegasi get flung away and crash into all sorts of locations, and if they're fortunate, the tornado disperses. If not, it goes on a rampage tearing through the area for at least an hour before it's corralled and under control. That's not the average time; that's the minimum. I understand it's a Pegasi tradition thing, but seriously, when a tradition threatens the lives of participants and bystanders when things go wrong on an incredible scale, maybe it's time to figure out a balance between upholding tradition and filing a casualty report.

As an example, Winter Wrap Up used to fire Earth ponies into the sky to clear the clouds via catapults and trebuchets. Yes, instead of launching normal things like rocks, they launched themselves the same way Pegasi used to do for their fledgling young for their first flight. "It's raining colts and mares" was not an uncommon phrase at the time.

It took about two centuries before the tradition was finally changed to let Pegasi contribute and make things easier, but they still refuse to have Unicorns help using their magic because... well, I'm sure a good reason still exists to keep that traditional wall standing tall.

Actually, I'll just address Cloudsdale on this, and discuss with them a few methods that would probably cause less collateral damage. Things like hoses, having Earth and Unicorn make buckets and/or a funnel, moving the city closer to lower the required wingpower if they're still stubborn on using that chaotic method... you know, a compromise to make it less compromising if it gets out of hoof.

And they'll listen, because they know what a REAL natural disaster looks like if they don't.

Now, in regards to your lesson, yes, teamwork is a very crucial thing, and everybody's contribution helps, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant. But that contribution doesn't matter if you get injured trying to help and fail on an all-or-nothing method, which is a Pegasi-driven tornado powered by criminal amounts of safety negligence.

Pass this along to Rainbow Dash, and I'll look forward to your next letter.

Sincerely,

Princess Celestia

PreviousChapters Next