• Published 24th Jan 2015
  • 20,434 Views, 5,762 Comments

Letters from an Irritated Princess - Tired Old Man



Celestia writes some blunt letters to her faithful student and friends.

  • ...
71
 5,762
 20,434

PreviousChapters Next
Don't You Dare Do What You're Daring to Do

Rainbow Dash,

In reading the latest in A.K. Yearling's Daring Do series, I noticed a rather new face on the cover that bore a peculiar resemblance to you.

Color Band, aide to Daring Do, seems equal parts devoted to her tutor and klutzy beyond belief, stumbling her way into secrets Daring wouldn't notice otherwise. Her wall-eyes don't give her perfect vision, and her wit isn't quite at par with Daring's, although the moment where she called Ahuizotl a "mean blue kitty" threw me into an extended fit of giggles.

Beyond her faults, she's enlightened me to a curious notion that sometimes it takes a simpleton to solve simple problems. "What would Daring do?" she asked while facing an old stone wall separating her from where Daring was held captive. "AHA! Use your head!"

Then she rammed the wall with her head. Priceless.

Daring also learned a rather wonderful lesson in this tale that accepting help can be okay. She was stubborn as a mule in this tale for the longest time in not taking it, even though Color was practically hoofing it to her on a silver platter for the whole adventure.

Still, I'm quite happy she came around in the end when she realized those rings weighed much more than she predicted. Solid gold is heavy when it's that large--it's why I chose my regalia to be minimal and sleek. The original design had me lugging around forty extra pounds of gold; I couldn't put on that much weight if I ate five ten-layer cakes in one sitting, and I'm expected to wear enough gold to buckle the bulkiest of my guards all day? No thank you.

But the bigger issue behind refusing that help was her lack of trusting anypony but herself. I get that, since gods know I don't trust the nobles here with anything, with a few being notable exceptions.

But if I didn't trust anypony, nothing would get done. In a land where some of the greatest threats are sitting in a deeply buried powderkeg, I have to trust the guards to keep them in there and make sure nothing explodes into calamity. I know Daring has done so much on her own to save the land time and again, but that steam WILL run out before she knows it, and only then will she really be thankful Color was there to help.

I'm not quite sure why I'm telling you this, actually, but the point is that Color Band really taught her something important. I just hope Daring understands that before she gets into some danger she can't get out of.

Anyway, there's my take on her latest adventure. Let me know what you thought of it, and we'll discuss the next book when it comes out.

Sincerely,

Princess Celestia

Luna, what are you doing with that catapult?

No. Luna, that's a bad idea. What will Ponyville think when an Ursa falls from the sky?

Okay, yes, "normal" is probably accurate for the town, but this isn't the way to get back at Discord for his prank. You need to be clever and unexpected, not just returning to sender.

Oh, you'll figure something out, sister. I'd love to see the expression on his ugly mug when you do find a way to get back at him for this.

PreviousChapters Next