• Published 24th Jan 2015
  • 20,425 Views, 5,762 Comments

Letters from an Irritated Princess - Tired Old Man



Celestia writes some blunt letters to her faithful student and friends.

  • ...
71
 5,762
 20,425

PreviousChapters Next
Bonus: Dear Applejack

Dear Applejack,

How are you doing, Applejack? I should hope you’re doing well. Granny seems to be fine, which is a great sign you’re doing a good job keeping the orchard functioning.

When I visited the orchard last month, I was surprised at how well you maintain the grounds. It had this sense of following a well-practiced routine, one followed for years without fail. And because you didn’t have a single soul tell you a word otherwise regarding your upkeep, what reason would you have to change what already works, Applejack?

That being said, Applejack, if what works for you are patchwork types of repair and methodical execution of these small fixes, far be from me to turn you away from these solutions if they are able to withstand the everlasting test of time or the burdens of day-to-day use. I can personally vouch for your use of duct tape as well--you have no idea how many plant pots I’ve had to repair with that and a jar of resin. Actually, scratch that--I have no idea how many I’ve fixed now. It’s at least over a hundred though. But as much as I accept the power of a roll of sticky tape, it is merely a temporary fix.

After getting a bit of context for your situation, I realize that in a rush your efforts were quite acceptable, if reckless. Applejack, how badly did you want that steam bath to think blatantly ignoring basic safety measures was a smart move? Applejack, you have no idea how close you came to a supervillain origin story doing something like this!

Was it too much to ask them to shut down the boiler for fifteen, twenty minutes? You had an hour! Or were you thinking of the line of ponies clamoring for all the hot towels despite it worsening the problem, yet they still wanted it? Were they truly so dense that they couldn’t let go of a service that didn’t exist until a week ago?

That last one was a rhetorical question, by the way. I hope you don’t answer that honestly, Applejack. But at the very least, I hope you did clarify that your fix was not a permanent job. You knew that going into this, but I’m not sure they know how long your repair is really going to last, and I know you don’t want to be “that mare” to call when things inevitably break down again a few months down the line.

Anyway, Applejack, even though I’m nitpicking your less-than-professional work ethic, that’s not the only reason I’m writing this. I know that you know that for years, I’ve been butchering your name to oblivion. In fact, I can feel your eyes practically rubbing all over the parchment, scanning for all the times I mention your name. You’re looking for a mistake, something to tell you this is just your imagination.

Well, I’m here to tell you that such a worry is fruitless, Applejack. Really now, what would I have to gain from making fun of your name like this? A snicker? A giggle? Full-on hearty guffaws? Definitely not the last one--the other two, however… oh, but like I said, you needn’t worry about such things. It’s a small jest, so don’t let it get to your head.

Take care, Appleshack. And tell Granny I said hello.

Best Regards,

Princess Celestia

~~~

Granny, did you get the two-way journal I sent you a few days ago?

‘Ah did. You’re getting this?’

Clear as day.

‘Is that a pun?’

...Maybe. Anyway, I just sent your granddaughter a letter. Just warning you in advance that she might scream when she gets to the end.

‘...Oh, I can’t wait to read that! You want me to tell you when she starts screaming?’

Mmhmm, and I’ll tell you when I hear it from Canterlot.

PreviousChapters Next