• Published 24th Jan 2015
  • 20,440 Views, 5,762 Comments

Letters from an Irritated Princess - Tired Old Man



Celestia writes some blunt letters to her faithful student and friends.

  • ...
71
 5,762
 20,440

PreviousChapters Next
Bats, Rats, and Empty Vats!

Granny Smith,

Your granddaughter Applewhack told me the orchard had managed to survive another vampire fruit bat invasion. How many years has it been since they last cropped up? Twenty? Fifty? I want to say fifty is close.

That was a horrid time. I remember it well, and how you had written to me about these shameless creatures that would drain your fruit dry and leave wrinkled, pitiful cores about the orchard. They left no tree untouched, and had you not sent a letter to me, I have a feeling the last quarter of your orchard wouldn't exist.

I wish I'd have known about the infestation sooner, but since Dragonfire mail hadn't been established in Ponyville yet, your letter had to be delivered by regular mail. We both know why that took so long.

But there's, uh, something you don't know about that infestation. As you're aware, I did show up to drive away the bats before they got to the last quarter of the orchard. I'd brought the Royal Handler with me to corral them into a ball so I could sling them away.

Unfortunately, I missed my aim a bit and the sling ball of bats hit him--he was a Pegasus in the line of fire, so to speak. And by some sheer miracle of magic, he...

Well, he turned into a bat-pony thing. He didn't tell me about the transformation--I just caught him rummaging through the kitchen eating my apple fritters. Needless to say, we caught him, but that had been quite a few weeks after the infestation had cleared out. And during that time, he found... interested mares.

I won't go into the juicy details, but Luna's taken a liking to these bat-pony hybrids he had sired into this world, and introduced them to her Guard once I told her there might be some new ponies that might better suit her duties than my day guards.

The Royal Handler is still under close watch, but we let him roam free on weekends, and he always comes back to a big bushel of apples. I've forbid him from tormenting Ponyville, so you don't need to worry about that. We got him under control.

Anyway, I admired your resourcefulness to ration out what remaining apples had survived the onslaught. Even when the battle had been lost, you made sure to keep a level head, and the town survived to this day. Even if a few ponies had moved away to Appaloosa--which I suspect you're at to check up on those "loose ends" you referred to--the rest of the town stuck with it, and life had greatly improved.

Thanks to Princess Twilight, this recent infestation was handled with far less destruction than before, if Mayor's damage report is accurate, so rest assured the orchard is in good hooves upon your return.

But I should warn you--Mayor left a footnote saying she heard some hissing outside her window as she uncorked one of your vintage bottles of apple cider last night, so maybe all the bats haven't been introduced to that sanctuary yet. I'd keep a close eye on your cellar--I know I am.

Friends Forever,

Princess Celestia

Luna, are the pies ready?

Perfect, I'll get started on writing that letter to Discord... unless you want to write to him.

Of course you can! I mean, I'm offering. It's not like last time where you jacked it without permission. And no, I'm not bitter.

Here you go, then. Knock yourself out. NOT literally.

PreviousChapters Next