• Published 24th Jan 2015
  • 20,428 Views, 5,762 Comments

Letters from an Irritated Princess - Tired Old Man



Celestia writes some blunt letters to her faithful student and friends.

  • ...
71
 5,762
 20,428

PreviousChapters Next
Every Little Thing She Does Adds Up to a Big Thing Over Time

Princess Twilight,

First off, thank you for making the time to come and give a lecture on the history of enchanted objects in Equestria. I don’t know how you do it, but you manage to make those hour-long lectures last as if they’ve gone on for over half a month. Believe it or not, that’s actually a good thing. The less ponies try to interact with any of those enchanted artifacts and ultimately cause a ruckus akin to throwing a glass dome over an entire town, the better.

But as grand as you are giving eternal lectures, your idea of teaching your student by letting her figure out how to do her friendship lessons has officially reached the breaking point. This could not be made any clearer after I received an inexplicable sense of deja vu today, and after reading Mayor’s report on your castle flooding with a third of Ponyville’s emergency stormcloud water reserves just to put out a kitchen fire, it’s not hard to imagine somepony in there went way overboard with their magic use. And it couldn’t have been you this time, for obvious reasons.

Look, Twilight, when I lent you some of my books to refill your castle library, there should have been some judicious consideration given to the content of some of those books and ensuring their proper use. More specifically the spells used for interrogation purposes such as Gabbo Yakkus, Persuadere, Cogeria, and don’t even get me started on the ill-conceived Diarrhus Propelium.

We tried that on a deer once. I don’t know where it rocketed off to since that day.

In any case, your student really needs a refresher course on the dos and don’ts of magic spell construction, despite how much I admire her tenacity and creativity in innovating new spells for the next generation of multitaskers. Yet much like you back in the “good old days”, she needs some sense of restraint, and you have been far too loose on your leash.

Not only do you need to be crystal clear in your goals on your special friendship lessons (because she’s currently taking these tasks at face value), you need to be sure she isn’t cheating on her tasks, because that’s exactly what she did to try and accomplish all of those friendship lessons in the same day that… she didn’t need to cheat for since she did all of those tasks in the same day anyway cleaning up her mess.

Oh in the name of me, she really IS you before you earned your wings, but even crazier due to lack of empathy. In that case, new teaching strategy:

Make sure she doesn’t make the same mistakes you made.

That won’t cover all of her problems, but it will cast a pretty huge safety net so she won’t pull stunts like this again. You can handle empathy one step at a time, but first Starlight needs to make this HUGE leap forward before you even consider that she’s making any significant progress.

Don’t be a bad teacher, Twilight. That is all I ask.

Best Regards,

Princess Celestia

Sunny! Is that you? Have you finished your chores in the castle? It’s been an hour.

Oh, you enchanted a feather duster to help you clean? That’s pretty smart, makes the cleaning go faster.

Well of course it won’t just stop cleaning just because you ask it to. You have to make it sto--y-you did already?

I’m… afraid to ask, but how did you stop it? You didn’t try breaking it, did you?

Shredded and splintered?! H-How many pieces? Maybe a thousand? Maybe?!

No, this is fine. Just fine. It’s not actually fine here, but it might be fine somewhere else that’s not here! I’m fine with not being fine about this!

Author's Note:

Heyo, dear readers! I've got a small announcement to make with this Letters installment.

I am fully aware of the leaked EQG movie, and I have seen it. However, I will respect the original release date set for it. The letter will come for that two days after it airs on October 1st.

With that out of the way, happy reading!

PreviousChapters Next