• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 11,519 Views, 2,743 Comments

The Sun and the Stars: A Twilestia Prompt Collab - Fuzzyfurvert



Student and Teacher, Servant and Mistress, Citizen and Ruler, Friend and...Lover?

  • ...
68
 2,743
 11,519

PreviousChapters Next
98. Starlight by Misago

***

"It looks beautiful under the starlight, doesn't it?", Celestia's voice pierces the silence, a slight edge to her normally so soft and calming voice.

Twilight looks up from her book, a bit startled by the sudden inquiry, and Celestia's appearance, for that matter. She can swear that she was alone just a second ago. In fact, she selected this specific balcony on the highest tower specifically for its relative seclusion from the always lively castle.

Not that she ever wants seclusion from Celestia, far from it, in fact. Just an advance notice, to keep her face from showing embarrassment, so she can at least feel like a princess, someone equal. So she can feel like there isn't an enormous gulf between them.

She does not even try to calm her rapid heartbeat, however. As long as Celestia is here, that would just be a wasted effort.

"I remember the times when it was just a few huts", Celestia continues. She is looking at the lights of Canterlot below, yet she seems far away from them. "Back then, sporadic packs of timberwolves or the odd manticore were the only threats we would ever face."

It is unusual, and very worrying, to see Celestia so despondent, and Twilight suddenly feels cold in her stomach. She knows what this is about.

"Celestia, there was no way you could foresee what Discord was planning." Twilight tries to sound soothing, even though she herself feels quite lost at the moment.

"And what of the changelings?", Celestia asks. Her tone is not unkind, and yet there is a hint of accusation, as if daring Twilight to refute her claim. "I never noticed my own niece was kidnapped and replaced with the changeling queen herself! What other foes do you have to save me from until you realize how ill-suited I am to keep my subjects safe?"

"That is not true. You are the best possible ruler for Equestria", Twilight says softly.

Celestia shakes her head in disbelief.

"How? How can you still look at me and see a princess, a ruler, when I can't even protect my country?" she asks, and for the first time in this discussion, there is a hint of desperation in her voice.

Twilight takes a deep breath at the tone. It hurts to have Celestia doubt herself so much, that she allowed those poisonous thoughts to hurt her for so long.

But not anymore.

"I like that you make mistakes, Celestia."

There is no need for Twilight to think before she speaks, because the words have been in her heart all along.

"It does not mean that you are too weak, it means that you do your best, day after day, to try and make everypony in Equestria happy."

A bit hesitant Twilight lifts her left foreleg invitingly. Like in a trance, Celestia looks down at it, then back up at Twilight, who nods, so Celestia joins her own foreleg with Twilight's.

"All the niceness, the grace, the wisdom - all of this is you. Not something alicorns have, or something the sun bestows on its mistress. Just you."

And with these words, Celestia, Twilight's goddess, this heavenly being, seems to flourish in the starlight.

Her coat, the purest white. Her wings, quivering with nervous energy, mirroring Twilight's own. Her mane in its chromatic brilliance, wafting in the solar wind. Her beautiful, beautiful eyes, glistening with unshod tears.

Her stance, so full of strength, and yet ready to break at Twilight's words alone.

Slowly, Twilight moves towards her. She feels strange. No longer is she sure where she is, whether this is real. The view of Canterlot, the stars above them, the noise of the city below.

All forgotten.

There is only Celestia. Nothing in the world can stop Twilight from moving forward, to her beloved, for that final confirmation, for the last barrier between them to break.

And then she reaches her.

Twilight looks up, and in a single fluid motion, Celestia lowers her head. Their gazes lock.

"Twilight", Celestia manages to say, voice thick. She doesn't ask the question, is still afraid. Her eyes implore Twilight to act, to take the first step.

Slowly, savoring every single sound Celestia's breathing makes, counting every single thud of her frantically beating heart, Twilight closes the gap. She keeps looking into Celestia's eyes, not daring to blink, not daring to let go for even a moment.

One second, Twilight feels Celestia's breath on her muzzle.The next second, she is in heaven.

Their lips just brush together for an instant. A single soft touch, born from boundless devotion, from years spent together, and from months of longing for another. And yet for Twilight, any amount of time seems meaningless compared to it.

Her entire body tingles with energy. She feels lightheaded. When her legs begin to fail her, there is only one thing to do.

With a desperate cry, Twilight launches herself forward, throwing her forelegs around the equally breathless Celestia. The soft coat and the heavenly, intoxicating aroma of the first spring day great her. Finally, Twilight lets her tears of joy loose.

She hears the the sobbing, and two strong forelegs draw her close, only just loose enough not to hurt. She presses herself against the trembling body, and she knows for sure Celestia's beauty is not the only thing that can flourish under the starlight.

PreviousChapters Next