• Published 21st Sep 2013
  • 11,506 Views, 2,743 Comments

The Sun and the Stars: A Twilestia Prompt Collab - Fuzzyfurvert



Student and Teacher, Servant and Mistress, Citizen and Ruler, Friend and...Lover?

  • ...
68
 2,743
 11,506

PreviousChapters Next
451. Twilestia by Knight of Cerebus

***

"It must be nice." Twilight said whistfully, eyes on a pair of prancing ponies in front of her. The two horses, maid and butler, from what she could tell, were too busy with each other to think to check where she was lurking. The butler was currently trying to adjust the maid's bonnet, much to the maid's exasperation. He blushed and stole a glance at her from time to time, muttering about how "cute" she was going to look. He got a shove into a patch of chrysanthemums for his troubles.

"Come now, Twilight. Have some perspective. They look at us every day and think the same things."

"Yes, well, neither one of us exactly got to choose, did we?" She pursed her lips, then looked up at Celestia for a moment. "Do you ever think about...just...running away? Letting it sort itself out? There are always ponies like us out there. I know. I've met a dozen of them on my travels. Just for a few years!"

Celestia looked back at her with disappointment in her eyes. "Twilight Sparkle! Is this how you'd repay all those ponies you call your friends? Abandoning them on a whim? Because of a longing for a simpler life?"

"Alright, alright. But sometimes...it just calls to you, you know?" She looked back at the couple, who were now lying against each other on one of the garden's benches. "Not for me. But for what we have planned. You want to bring a pony into a world like this? Stuffy and cold with everypony afraid of the magic she's going to inherit from us? All the pressure to be as amazing as her rich and talented parents breathing down her neck from day one? I lived that, Princess. That wrecked my life for seventeen years. Living in this prison of a castle." She turned to look into Celestia's eyes. "I'd do anything so they'd never have to live a life like that."

Celestia took in all this quietly enough, but she allowed Twilight to see the discomfort spreading further and further across her face with every word. Twilight caught her worry immediately.

"And it isn't you fault, and it's not your subjects' fault. It wasn't because of my parents or Cadance or me or anypony." Twilight let more than a little pride and relief shine through with the words "it isn't my fault", the past insecurity falling below her like a mountain she still savoured the memory of conquering. "But I won't let it happen to her."

Celestia merely gave a gentle nod. "I understand." She looked over at the couple, who were themselves currently looking back at over them with confusion and concern. She gave them a smile, then turned back to Twilight. "But you and I do have a long time to consider."

Twilight let out a breath. "Yeah, we do." A thought troubled her for a minute. "Just for the record, I do love this life we have together. I love my friends and--" Celestia cut her off with a peck.

"I know, Twilight. I know." The larger pony wrapped a wing around the smaller. "Now let's give them something to marvel at." She gave a wink, and the two took off toward the palace in step, entering back into the world they knew so well with a wing around each other and bodies pressed firmly together.

PreviousChapters Next